Moderator Control Panel ]

Larry Lamb (31 August)

Discuss this year's series, featuring celebrities including June Brown, JK Rowling, Sebastian Coe and Alan Carr

Re: Larry Lamb (31 August)

Postby billgrose52 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:37 pm

Auntie Boo wrote:in 1911 Catherine Walker Burns Rose is with her mother aged 23 and father aged 24 now listed as a hawker and has 2 younger siblings Jessie 19 months and Charles 1 month.
They are in Dundee

I followed up on that census entry, and found a death certificate in Dundee for the same year (23rd July 1911) for John Rose aged 24 years, death informant Katie Walker (Inmate). There is a possibility that this is the correct John Rose.
Against the argument...... He is described as ‘Assistant at the Roller Skating Rink’ (single)
For the argument..... The informant. His age is correct. His father’s occupation is described as ‘Hardware Hawker’ (Deceased) the same occupation as John Rose had declared on his 1911 census.

The plot thickens..... If this is the correct John Rose, then I am sure he is from a Jewish family. Which ties in with the programme, Catherine Walker Burns Rose, married in the Synagogue, after converting to the faith, so if I’m correct with her father, she was half Jewish anyway.
This death certificate lists his Parents’ as Abraham David Rose, ‘Hardware Hawker’ (deceased) and Rebecca Lindey.
Further research shows this family living in Edinburgh in 1901, Parents both born in Germany, as was John and his two older siblings, his three younger siblings having been born in Edinburgh.
Last edited by billgrose52 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billgrose52

Postby ksouthall » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:45 pm

KayFarndon wrote:Unless I missed it there was no birth place given for his grandfather or that they had even looked for another marriage or for his death.

Albert's birth place was shown as Accrington in the census they looked at during the programme. He was born in about 1897.
ksouthall

Postby Auntie Boo » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:43 am

Jessie Burns, Catherines Walker Burns mother died in the poor house in Edinburgh in 1913 so Catherine snr lost her "husband" in 1911 and her mother in 1913 so she was left with 3 young children and little support except her father who was a shoemaker and probably not very well placed to help especially if she was still in Dundee and he in Edinburgh.

I wonder if Catherine Walker Burns Rose went into service young and that is why she was in London. When she fell pregnant with Larry Lamb's mother she had little family to turn to admittidley Albert day married her but didn't seem to stick around just disappeared so that would also explain why Jessie was adopted she just would not have been able to cope and from what I could make out during the programme the Day family didn't know she and the baby existed.

Would still love to know what happened to Albert Day!
Auntie Boo

Postby meekhcs » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:09 pm

This latest series just gets better and better. So pleased to see the happy outcome for Larry's Mum. We have a similar situation in our family but cannot pluck up courage to make contact for fear of rejection.
meekhcs

Postby john-william day » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:02 am

Hi, Is there going to be a behind the scenes with Larry Lamb in the magazine please?.
john-william day

Postby Matt Elton » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:16 pm

Hi there,

We answered John-William's query on Facebook, but for the benefit of other people who might be wondering the same thing: we did interview Larry when we were working on our 'new series' preview, and he was lovely. However, we haven't got a 'behind the scenes' feature planned because there wasn't an 'untold story' connected to him. I'm sure elements of his story will feature in the magazine in future though.

All the best,

Matt
Matt Elton

Postby Ruth1979 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:00 pm

I just watched this and was fascinated to see someone in the same position as me, also having an adopted mother and no knowledge about the real Grandparents. We made very brief contact with my mother's real Aunt when I was about 6 years old, but her mother was dead by then and her father isn't on the birth certificate. I know this initial research (initiated by my mother's real brother-they were adopted at separate times by the same parents) was very upsetting for my Mum due to a reluctance on her Aunt's side to maintain contact and from the circumstances which we learnt about her mother's death just before contact was made, so I can sympathise with Jessie having reached her age without having done this research herself. But if I thought I could find out half as much as Larry Lamb did, I would jump at the opportunity to do the research myself. Unfortunately I think the majority of adoptions especially during the early-mid 20th century were deliberately recorded in an incomplete way so as to discourage any links back ever being made in the future. Adoption stories like this must be one of genealogy's greatest challenges.
Ruth1979

Postby phsvm » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:50 pm

In case anyone is a. intersted and b. close enough, Larry Lamb is talking at the Cheltenham Literary Fesitval at the beginning of October:

http://www.cheltenhamfestivals.com/find ... larry-lamb
phsvm

Postby Sylcec » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:35 am

I recently watched the Larry Lamb episode on SBS (Australia) and agree that it really was one of the best programs - he was a delightful subject with a fascinating ancestral family. With the passage of time, I wonder if anyone has yet discovered what became of Albert Day? Has he been found dead or alive in England or as an emigrant?
Sylvia
Sylcec

Previous

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2011