Moderator Control Panel ]

Patrick Stewart's episode

From Annie Lennox and Gregg Wallace to Alex Kingston and Patrick Stewart, join us every week to share your thoughts about the most recent series of WDYTYA?

Patrick Stewart's episode

Postby Jon Bauckham » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:06 am

Hello everyone,

Firstly, if you haven't seen my post from yesterday afternoon, I should probably introduce myself. My name's Jon Bauckham and I'm taking over from Matt Elton as an editorial assistant for the magazine. This means that I am now the person to contact regarding all forum queries - I can't wait to get to know you all!

Who Do You Think You Are? continues on BBC One at 9pm tonight with an episode featuring the highly respected film, television and stage actor, Patrick Stewart. Perhaps best known for his astonishing performances as Claudius in the RSC's Hamlet and Captain Jean-Luc Picard on board the Starship Enterprise, Patrick uncovers the experiences of his father, Alfred, during the Second World War.

Will Patrick's discoveries lead him to make some readjustments about the man he knew? All will be revealed this evening...

As always, let us know what you thought about the episode.

Best,
Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

NOT REQUIRED

Postby KayFarndon » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:45 am

Welcome Jon!
I did enjoy Patrick Stewart's episode last night and I know from experience how one's attitude to those who have gone before us can change overnight and that we often have our opinions altered by research. The sad thing is that we find out a bit too late about our forebears.
I was disappointed that it was yet another episode which did not travel back very far in time and sincerely hope that the other programmes do just that.
The historical content was excellent and shows how far things have progressed in the treatment of those brave men who continue to put their lives on the line for all of us. All in all an entertaining piece of television.
Last edited by KayFarndon on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
KayFarndon

Re: Patrick Stewart's episode

Postby ksouthall » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:56 am

I really enjoyed Patrick Stewart's episode. Patrick was very articulate and thoughtful about the information he discovered. It was nice to see a change in his views about his father, from the beginning to the end of the programme. His statement that it hadn't changed his views on domestic violence was also good to hear. It's just a shame that he and his brother didn't get the chance to talk to their father about any of this. At least now least they both have a better understanding of him and his life.

I know the celebrities chosen are lucky to have the WDYTYA experience, as I'm sure lots of forum readers would love to have the researchers on hand. However I think we are lucky that we get to see programmes like last nights, which was such a personal experience for Patrick as it involved such a close family member. I'm not sure I'd want a camera in my face when finding out things so close to home, and I don’t think I’d be able to rationalise it all on camera either.
ksouthall

Postby Jeeps » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:34 am

Welcome Jon!

I, too, enjoyed last nights episode. Patrick Stewart is such an easy man to watch, he seems very relaxed and it was like having an old friend talking to me.

Much as I love seeing the generations unfold and a tree being built, I recognise that an individual can have an impact and Patrick clearly needed to lay ghosts to rest and it was interesting to see his journey of understanding.

I have seen complaints on Facebook that the programme was boring. If people are viewing genealogy from a quick fix, how far back can I go, standpoint then I can understand their view. But it's not all about dates and distance, is it? We need to understand what made our nearest ancestors tick to build up the whole picture and start moving back. With the first 3 of the new series I think the bar has been set very high and I would love each of the subjects so far to have another programme expanding on what they have learnt. Each needs their own mini series, not just one hour!
~~Jeeps~~
Jeeps

Postby myrtlebird8 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:43 am

Patrick Stewart's programme last night resonated with me because of my own experience following my mother's death. Although she was a lovely mum, it was only when I went through her old papers and letters that I realised what a good friend and lovely person she had been, and I wished I had known her like that. I think having the opportunity to understand our parents is really helpful, as it was for Patrick Stewart.

This has been a good series, very varied - now I'd like one that really goes back through the centuries and gets the detective juices flowing!
myrtlebird8

Postby Tabithabenef » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:52 pm

I was so looking forward to watching the Patrick Stewart episode

I had hoped we could find out about his family tree and if there were any other really great actors in his family. I wanted to find out who made him the great actor he is - was there a link to a victorian actor - something like that. As such we didn't find out anything about his background at all.

Any chnce there could be a follow up to this in 2013 or something so we get to see the man behind the actor & his family.

I am assuming the WDYTYA team didn't find any interesting people in his background - but wanted him on the show - so they just concentrated on his father as he was different.

I am really pleased he felt better about his father in the end as it did do some good for him & his brother, I assume the older brother had died. It would have been interesting to find out if his fathers father (his grandfather) was also a bit of a hard case to make him enlist in the MP in the first place.

I was quite dissapointed really as all we heard about was his father - it was quite interesting but didn't need a full hour - this could have even been a seperate programme - like they did with rolf harris a few years ago - it wasn't really WDYTYA.

I do agree you need to get to know who people were and what they did - but I tend to leave that till later or when I hit a brick wall on a line. Then I go off & research the individual people in the tree, when I do get back to finding family I am just so excited at adding another branch after all that time away from the tree.
Tabithabenef

Postby g w aldous » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:51 pm

I enjoyed this program also.
Tabitha he didn't enlist in the MP Military Police he was a RP Regimental Police, these are soldiers in a regt that have police powers something like prefects at school they would report any infringement of regulation to the guard commander he would then decide the punishment.
g w aldous

Postby myrtlebird8 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:48 pm

Can anyone find Patrick's father Alfred on the 1911 census? I think they said on the progrmme that he joined up in 1925 aged 19/20.
myrtlebird8

Postby Jon Bauckham » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:01 pm

Yes, quite a few of you have expressed a slight disappointment in the fact that the programme only went back one generation. If it's any consolation, I can reassure you that the Annie Lennox episode on Wednesday does go back further!
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Postby jkk » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:40 pm

I just caught up with Patrick's episode. I can see why genealogists would be disappointed with it, and yet I fully understand why the programme makers concentrated on his father.

For one thing, it allowed them to focus on the Second World War, and a series of programmes like this needs to focus on different periods of history (or different countries) for variety. I particularly liked the emphasis given to Operation Dragoon, a near-forgotten military operation that went extremely well.

Another reason is that this program is designed to give hope (through greater understanding) to those who have never formally looked at their genealogies but have, umm, 'interesting' family situations. From their point of view, Patrick's episode may have been the most important of all, because it dealt with issues that are closest to home (literally).

Okay, so we got less emphasis on the third aspect of the programme -- what made Celebrity X the person they are today. That was missed. But I applaud the decision to make one such program within a series such as WDYTYA.
jkk

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2012