Moderator Control Panel ]

Blagrave Hospital Tilehurst

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Blagrave Hospital Tilehurst

Postby Diggerz » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:32 pm

Hi, I've been researching my 2x Great Grandfather James Seymour. Having just found his will on ancestry I found he died in Blagrave Branch Hospital Tilehurst, I've typed the name into google but can't find any info about the hospital.
I'm particularly interested as he lived in Newbury.
Any info would be great
Diggerz

Re: Blagrave Hospital Tilehurst

Postby callbrian » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:21 am

Hi
The hospital is now housing and was situated at the top of Langley Hill, Tilehurst.
I will take a look at a couple of books I have on Reading, they may have some info. I will post later if I find anything.
The Berkshire FHS or Reading Museum may have some info.
http://www.berksfhs.org.uk/cms/CatResea ... photo.html
http://www.readingmuseum.org.uk/

Brian
Last edited by callbrian on Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby callbrian » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:04 am

Hi again,
I have looked through my books and can find nothing re the hospital. The Blagrave name is prominent in Reading, as you may well know.
I spoke to my mother who remembers where it was, unfortunately she couldn't remember when it closed. She did think it was only a small 'cottage type' hospital.
The larger hospitals being The Royal Berkshire in London Road and Battle Hospital (formerly the Reading Workhouse, now Tesco) in Oxford Road.

Brian
callbrian

Postby callbrian » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:46 am

Hi again,
Further to my previous postings I have found the following link:
http://www.berksfhs.org.uk/journal/Jun2 ... chives.htm
And the following which may also help:
Opening programme of Blagrave Branch of the Royal Berkshire Hospital
These documents are held at Berkshire Record Office
1 doc

Opening programme of the Blagrave Branch of the Royal Berkshire Hospital, Langley Hill, Calcot, 9 April 1930 D/EX 1297/1 1930

Brian
callbrian

Postby Editor » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:42 am

We've had a comment emailed to us from an Anne Hogg who saw this post in the magazine. This is what she says:

In your November magazine (issue 66), there is a request in the Forum section from ‘Diggerz’ for information regarding Blagrave Hospital, Tilehurst, Reading

I live in Tilehurst and recall the hospital for elderly people still functioning in the 1980’s. Soon after that the hospital closed and patients were eventually referred to the Royal Berkshire Hospital in Reading. I believe further information will be held at Reading Library or Berkshire Records Office, Reading for ‘Diggerz’ to research. Where the hospital once stood there is now a housing estate. The hospital was accessed from a road at the top of Langley Hill, Tilehurst.

I hope this is of some help and kindly request you forward the information to the person in question.

Best wishes,

Anne Hogg
Editor
Site Admin

Postby Creber1942 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:19 am

I used to work in the pharmacy department at the Royal Berkshire Hospital from 1978. We provided a pharmacy service to Blagrave Hospital into the 1980s but cannot remember when it closed. However, the Royal Berkshire Hospital has its own "museum" and they may be able to give you more information.

The article referred to by callbrian was written by Dr Marshall Barr, a former anaesthetist at the hospital, who at one time was in charge of the museum. There is a history of the Royal Berkshire Hospital entitled The Royal Berkshire Hospital 1839 to 1989 written by Marshall Barr and Margaret Railton published by the hospital.

I have taken some information from this book and provided the page references. The site for Blagrave hospital for the treatment of surgical TB cases was purchased at the end of 1926 [page 205]. The hospital was opened on April 10th 1930 by HRH Prince George [Duke of Kent] [page 214]. Eventually Blagrave was used for the convalescence of long term patients. Blagrave site was sold in July 1988 [page 342].
Creber1942

Postby ritah » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:30 pm

The book mentioned by creber1942 is available on Amazon for 1p or £9 depending upon condition!! (this is not an advert for Amazon!) plus other books of a similar name.

It might be worth spending 1p.

Rita
ritah

Postby Diggerz » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:41 pm

Thank You everyone for your help, you've been brilliant.
I'll definitely look into purchasing the book.

Gemma
Diggerz

Postby sallyann » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:37 pm

Hi

I worked and lived in at Blagrave Hospital in the late 1960s. At that time it had two wards - one male and one female. It was a convalescence hospital - a bit like a community hosptal would be today but smaller. It was a lovely place to work.

As someone has already said it was originally built as a hospital for patients with TB and the wards had french doors all the way along which opened onto a veranda with pillars where they used to wheel the patients outside in those days.

Both wards were the old nightingale style of long ward with about 30 beds with a door midway along one side leading to the sluice and bathrooms.

Polished wood floors and a red blanket at the end of each bed.

All the pillows had to be facing with openings away from the door. All bed wheels facing the same way.Thermometers in pots above the beds. Nurses not allowed to sit on beds. Those were the days.

I also remember that each bed had a locker at the side with an ashtray on it so patients could smoke in their beds!

How times have changed.
sallyann

Postby Backmanmal » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:04 pm

Although an old post, I now have a photograph of the Hospital which is now in my Hospitals Collection on Flickr. Unfortunately I am unable to post the link!
Backmanmal

Next

Return to General research queries