Moderator Control Panel ]

Helping with dating picture needed please.

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Helping with dating picture needed please.

Postby stantonbethany » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:46 pm

I have this family picture which I really would like to date but I'm not sure as to when it was exactly.

My great great Uncle on the far left has a uniform on which I don't recognize, so perhaps if that is identified that may help to date it.

Thanks for any help in advance. :)
Attachments
Watts Family.jpg
Watts Family.jpg (38.38 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
stantonbethany

Re: Helping with dating picture needed please.

Postby ritah » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:26 pm

Hello

You say the man on the left is your great great uncle, when was he born? He looks to me as if he is around 30 years old, give or take a few! this would give you a reasonably accurate date for the photo. This would also work if you know birth years for any other people in the photo.

Could the uniform be that of a policeman? it doesn't look like a service uniform to me but I am no expert on such matters.

Hope this helps.

Rita
ritah

Postby AngieT » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:12 am

Looking at the clothing on the little boy (centre photo) I would guess this photo was taken between 1900 & 1915 (closer to 1910 possibly). I have school photos of my grandad wearing very similar outfits & these were taken in 1906 & 1910.
The uniform of the gent on the left definately looks like a Police uniform of that time. What town or city did the family live in? The local Police for that area should have historical literature that you can look at re the uniform (myself & my hubby were in the Police & we have a book about the history of the Police in our area showing the uniforms through the decades).
AngieT

Postby stantonbethany » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:29 am

Hi,

Thank you both very much for your replies. I know this photo certainly has to be before October 1917 as my Great Grandfather on the far left was Killed in WW1.

William was born 1892, they lived in Moggerhanger Bedfordshire. I presume the picture probably was taken around 1912/1913ish (and William just looks old for his age lol!) As I do have the Birth dates for the little boys in the picture, so presuming the youngest was about 4 when the photo was taken that would pin point it to about that date.

Ahh yes thats interesting about it probably being a police uniform - I will look into that!

Thanks again,
Beth
stantonbethany

Postby MrOBM » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:06 pm

stantonbethany wrote:Hi,

Thank you both very much for your replies. I know this photo certainly has to be before October 1917 as my Great Grandfather on the far left was Killed in WW1.

William was born 1892, they lived in Moggerhanger Bedfordshire. I presume the picture probably was taken around 1912/1913ish (and William just looks old for his age lol!) As I do have the Birth dates for the little boys in the picture, so presuming the youngest was about 4 when the photo was taken that would pin point it to about that date.

Ahh yes thats interesting about it probably being a police uniform - I will look into that!

Thanks again,
Beth

The uniform looks more military to me, I have a photo of my great grandfather in a similar looking uniform, but still haven't figured out what exactly it is. If you find out a definite answer I'd love to know.
Northern Ireland Dating Website http://www.northerndating.com Free to Join
MrOBM

Return to Photo identification