[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 1100: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'UTC' for 'GMT/0.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 1100: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'UTC' for 'GMT/0.0/no DST' instead
Bregmen : General research queries - Page 2 Bregmen : General research queries - Page 2 • Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine | Forum

Moderator Control Panel ]

Bregmen

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Bregmen

Postby grandmabear » Wed May 05, 2010 11:17 pm

Hi Leone, first I want to say a big Thankyou for the help you are giving me and it is much appreciated.
I have had a reply from the south Australian research people, there is no record of when george arrived in South Australia, the first they have on him is his marriage to catherine Sheppard 21 jan 1840, she arrived there on the ship EDEN 28 june 1838.
george had given details that he was of St George of the East London and his occupation was Seaman / sawyer.
He celebrated his birthday 18 sept 1814.
The only record that his fathers name was John seems to have been on his death certificate , and as we know this may or may not be correct, which now makes my search even harder.
My Grandfather had told us that they were originally German and he thought they had changed their name, George Bregmen wouldve been my Grandfathers Grandfather.
George died in New zealand aged 54.
Catherine was of Portsea Portsmouth and born 6th august 1821, but I havnt been able to prove this nor find her parents.
Thank you Again and sorry i dont have more information
Jan
grandmabear

Postby jasonbregmen » Thu May 03, 2012 9:20 pm

Hi,
My name is Jason Bregmen. My dad is Trevor, grandad Herbert.
I remember growing up my grandmother saying that one of our ancestors was a german sea Captain.
I was also told that we were of Jewish German origin. In researching myself I only got back to John Bregmen as well. I may be going to England this year so if you can give me any more info on the english background I could try and research the registrars locally when I go.
In the 18th Century Hanover in Germany as a state became more prominent due to the new king of England George being from there.In the wars of the 18th century Hanover has a special importance and exposure, as Britain's continental outpost. Its interesting that the Bregmens lived in 'st George' and also one of them was named George. Of course I am only guessing here but do you have any pphysical record of the Bregmen's actually living in England?

Jason
jasonbregmen

Postby Rod Harry » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:39 pm

I've read with interest the material on George Bregmen as he and his wife Catherine Shepherd were my great great grandparents. My link is through my mother Agnes (nee Robinson) whose mother was Louise Annie Bregmen, daughter of Edward Bregmen who was 5th child of George and Catherine. I've been researching both sides of my family but can't add any new information to what has been provided here. I do have a copy of the family tree work of Ray Turner from 1999. I have found that birth, death and marriage certificates in NZ sometimes use Bregman instead of Bregmen but there is no consistency so presume there was no official name change, just recording errors.

Will look forward to further updates
Rod
Rod Harry

Postby grandmabear » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:02 am

Hello everyone, Pleased to say I have had success in finding Catherines family and tracked down Georges father.
I would be pleased to know how I could find if there are any records for 1830's seamen , I had no luck following the national archives info given for another posting , maybe its not possible unless you can visit the archives in person.
Thank you all for your help and input.
Jan
grandmabear

Postby grandmabear » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:01 pm

To Leone, I forgot to add that your suggestion of the German 'BRAYG' as the way to pronounce Breg makes sense as his father John was recorded as being John Bregmen , then in further reports he was John Braymen, this would account for this change in spelling.
Thank you all again
Jan
grandmabear

Previous

Return to General research queries