Moderator Control Panel ]

Surname Notice Board

Whether you're a seasoned showgoer or a newbie, talk about the world's biggest family history event here

Surname Notice Board

Postby umpire1998 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:13 pm

I have been to all of the shows and always wondered if there was anybody else at the show on that particular day that maybe investigating the same family surnames as I am. Wouldn't it be great to have a notice board available so that individuals could post details on and thereby other visitors could look at and then the two parties could meet up during the day
umpire1998

Re: Surname Notice Board

Postby Charlilu » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:57 pm

Nightmare for the Smith's i'm sure - but a good idea all the same.

I think adding a location factor to the surname might be useful too. Because i'm looking for XXXXX in Newcastle or Northumberland NOT every city and county. Not practical for all cases perhaps.

Some people might not want to make their contact details so public (plus Data Protection Act might forbid it for the Eventers to do it). So maybe a temporary database can be set up and people can on the day or in advance submit basic details (or full ancestors names and an 'extended information' box for further references which wouldn't be an active data-field but would help you to sift through the 'close-but-no'
matches). Register for any 'matching results' to be sent to an email account (with contact details). That way some lucky people could arrange to meet on the day. I suppose in some ways its similar to a general search on say Ancestry.co.uk etc, but simplified and the results come to you.

And no i don't work in IT :^D
regards
Charlilu

Postby Kate Jones » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:08 pm

Hi there umpire and charlilu!

Yes I agree it would be a great feature to have at the show and very exciting if you could meet up with other people researching the same surname. I will be sure to put forward your ideas to the show manager.

I would have a nightmare too Charlilu being a Jones!

Please let me know if you have any other ideas as it's always good to hear what people would like to see at the show.

Best wishes,
Kate
Kate Jones

Postby chrusty » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:11 pm

i'm trying to find out about the surname Contantinou, anybody know how i can find out where the name originates?
chrusty

Postby NigelB » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:11 am

chrusty wrote:i'm trying to find out about the surname Contantinou, anybody know how i can find out where the name originates?

From looking at Google and Wikipedia it looks to be a Greek Cypriot name
Konstantinou or Constantinou (Greek: Κωνσταντίνου) is a Greek surname, the genitive form of "Constantine". Notable people with surname Konstantinou:
Alex Konstantinou, Cypriot footballer
Andreas Constantinou, Cypriot footballer
Chris Constantinou, English musician
Clay Constantinou, American diplomat
Fivos Constantinou, Cypriot distance runner
Gavriel Constantinou, Cypriot footballer
Giorgos Konstantinou, Greek actor and director
Konstantinos Konstantinou, Greek cyclist
Michalis Konstantinou, Cypriot footballer
Stavros Konstantinou, Cypriot singer
Vasilis Konstantinou, Greek footballer
NigelB

Postby McGreig1408 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:06 pm

Sounds good, with a rare surname I'm always looking for information.
McGreig1408

Postby Jeanieallergy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:12 am

Those with rare surnames might want to drop by the Guild of One-Name Studies stand on tables 49-51.
Jeanieallergy

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? Live