Moderator Control Panel ]

What have you thought of this year's series?

Discuss this year's series, featuring celebrities including June Brown, JK Rowling, Sebastian Coe and Alan Carr

What have you thought of this year's series?

Postby Matt Elton » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:03 am

Hi everyone,

Hope you're all well and had a great weekend. With just one episode to go – Tracey Emin, this Wednesday, 12 October – I thought it'd be good to catch up with what you've thought about this year's series. Which episodes have been your favourites? Which haven't worked as well as they could have done? And how do you think the run has compared to previous offerings?

Let us know what you think!

Cheers,

Matt
Matt Elton

Re: What have you thought of this year's series?

Postby boughtp » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:48 pm

I have thoroughly enjoyed this series, in fact I would go so far to say it is probably the best series to date! It has focussed more on the social history aspect rather than how far back a person can get. It has provided us with more of an understanding of why and how our ancestors lived the way they did.

Len Goodman has definately been the best episode although JK Rowling came a pretty close second! I did not enjoy Robin Gibb at all. To be honest he didn't seem that interested but perhaps that is just the way he came across.

I have loved the series and can't wait for the next one. Let's hope we dont have to wait too long!

Pauline
boughtp

Postby kellymol6 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:45 pm

I have really enjoyed this series but personally i would have like to have seen a bit more going back in history as i feel there has always been a social aspect focus during the episodes but i really enjoy seeing the old documents and means of trying to research past the census dates and dates of registration. These tips and clues certainly come in handy for me in my own research. That said however, i throughly enjoyed Larry Lambs episode, it was so interesting to focus on the circus side as this was something not previously looked at. Also, Richard Madelys was fascinating as i learnt something about the events in Canada, something i admit was not previously aware of. More of the same please!!! Also, any news of when we will be able to see WDYTYA USA or other series around the world?
kellymol6

Postby Marymags » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:11 pm

I've really enjoyed this series but I have enjoyed all the programs in all series to be honest. I particularly enjoyed the Larry Lamb program this time, probably because it was so personal and would be relevant to so many people. I also found the Richard Madeley program interesting; I have found family who emigrated to Boston, Mass so I got one or two tips while he was there. I just hope you don't run out of people to take part. How about running a competition and doing one of Joe Public's tree's? Keep up the good work.
Best wishes
Mary
Marymags

Postby gaffer » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:54 am

Hello, What I liked about this series was the contrast between those families like June Brown's and Robin Gibb's that travelled about and those like Alan Carr's that stayed more or less in one area despite quite urgent reasons for moving on. I am amazed at the distances some people travelled and how often they did so. Considering how uncomfortable most travel was and how long it took and presumably the cost of it, it is surprising that people crossed the seas so often.
I have enjoyed most of the series, probably JK Rowling the least, because she seemed a bit two dimensional in her response, and it is hard to choose a favourite, but I have voted for Robin Gibb because of the fascinating life that his ancestor lived. It is also interesting how families acquire and lose both wealth and social standing over the years. Never a dull moment with genealogy.
gaffer

Postby Annie08 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:11 pm

My favourite episode has to be Larry Lamb's because it was the one that left me in tears at the end - I love the emotional ones! This the one I voted for.

Three others that stood out were Robin Gibb's in respect of the midwife story, as I have midwives in my family and the J K Rowling one as I have an ancestor who joined up, after walking to Berlin, and took part in the Franco-Prussian War and also Alan Carr's as one of the places he visited I recognised, as I work in the same building.

However, that said all of them were interesting in their own ways and in my opinion this was one of the best series. Has it really been 10 weeks? How times goes by when you are enjoying yourself.
Annie08
Annie08

Postby zoid9969 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:30 pm

I'd say that Larry Lamb's episode was my favourite. I'm naturally inclined to view anything or anyone related to Eastenders (or any soap for that matter) with a bit of disdain, but he came across as a thoroughly nice man, and his story was fascinating to boot.

I rather enjoyed Emilia Fox's episode, as well as Robin Gibb's. I was somewhat surprised by how much I liked Tracy Emin's edition as well.

Other than Alan Carr's episode, which I didn't really care for, this has been a truly excellent series, and I greatly look forward to the next one.
zoid9969

Postby Durham lady » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:30 pm

I've enjoyed most of the series but would have liked to have seen more on Alan Carr's Northumberland connections as I think he could be related to my husband's family.
Larry Lamb's programme has got to be my favourite, he seemed delighted to make contact with family and he came across as a really nice warm hearted man.
Durham lady

Postby sylviah » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:21 am

I'm not sure it was as interesting as previous series. I looked forward most to the J K Rowling programme as I believe we have a shared ancestor but she did not investigate that side of her family. Seb Coe's programme was excellent and I also enjoyed the Larry Lamb programme.
sylviah

Postby broop » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:28 pm

Liked the series, when's the next one, only thought that Tracey Emin's episode was a bit contrived, when she asked questions about her ancestors, the people brought out certificates like it was Blue Peter - "here's one I prepared earlier" - previous subjects have ordered certificates themselves and it was better to see their surprise at opening the envelopes.
broop

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2011