Moderator Control Panel ]

Can anyone help date this photo please?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Re: Can anyone help date this photo please?

Postby ksouthall » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:54 pm

callbrian wrote:Hi Katherine,
If you do think they maybe the Blackwells in the photo and in some way relatives, don't forget she remarried and became Mrs Harding, that maybe the connection.
Also they were living in the same house in West St.
Brian

Hello Brian,
Thanks for your replies. That is a good point about the Harding connection. Also, in one of the censuses, it looked like William's mother may have remarried a Mr Stephens so I will also need to look into that. It is interesting that, by 1911, the Harding family had ended up in Horrabridge which is very close to Buckland Monachorum where my ancestors, and the photo album that the photo is in, came from.
Hannah Harding could have been a friend of my great-grandma. Alternatively, I will need to trawl through my family tree to see if I can find any other likely candidates for the family in the photo. I am pretty sure they are none of my direct ancestors which is a shame as I do like the look of them.
It is interesting about your wife's recollections of Bittams Farm. Perhaps you are related to the Harding family in some way......
Thanks again,
Katherine
ksouthall

Postby callbrian » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:17 am

Hi,
Hoping to go to Tavistock on Saturday, not sure if I will get to the library, the museum is a possibility.
I use this web site at the learning centre, it may be of interest for Calstock and district:
http://www.calstock.info/index.htm
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby ksouthall » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:19 pm

callbrian wrote:Hi,
Hoping to go to Tavistock on Saturday, not sure if I will get to the library, the museum is a possibility.
I use this web site at the learning centre, it may be of interest for Calstock and district:
http://www.calstock.info/index.htm
Brian

Hello Brian,

Thanks for the weblink. No worries if you don't get to the library or museum, thanks for replying anyway.

Katherine
ksouthall

Postby callbrian » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:08 pm

Hi Katherine,
I have looked at Hannah Minhinnick (Blackwell / Harding) on Ancestry and found her living with her parents in 1851 & 1871 (no sign in 1861) 34/36 Bannawell Street, Tavistock,her father was a butcher.
Further to my last posting, I had made a mistake saying my wife used to visit Bittams farm, in fact she lived there until the Station house at Luckett was ready for them to move in.
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby ugleymark » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:54 pm

Not sure if this is of any help?
A Henry Blackwell was a blacksmith in Herodsfoot before sailing to Australia (possibly Tasmania)in Jan 1858 on the 'Wellfleet'. His shop was on the lane leading to Carglonnon Woods, near the Zion Chapel. Henry was the son of Henry snr, a chapel trustee and also a Blacksmith. A Francis Blackwell was also a chapel trustee. This information comes from 'At the Foot of the Long Hill' by Sally Hall, a story of Herodsfoot through the years published in 2000.

All the best
ugleymark

Postby Lindsay » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:49 pm

Hi there. I have been interested in historical fashions for a few years and have quite a few books on the subject. I am not an 'expert' at all, but when I saw your photo I immediately thought 1889. The reason for this is that dresses at this date had very tight sleeves and appeared almost as if they were too small across the back, as if they would split if you reached forward properly.The diagonal crease on the womans skirt indicates that the dress is being pulled back by a bustle or pad. Before giving this date I checked some of my books. 'Family photographs and how to date them' by Jayne Shrimpton gives a lot of information, as follows, about the 1880s. Hair worn in a chignon moved to the top of the head mid decade,tight sleeves worn shorter to show a white cuff,high neckline, bodice finishes on the waist with a point at the front later in the decade, the bustle reduced to more of a pad by 1888/9.
Could it be 1900's or another date? I think the answer is firmly 'No'.
Styles in a nutshell;
1860s Big bell like crinolines.
1870s Slimmer with long bodice, huge bustles, almost pencil like later.
1880s Tight, shorter sleeves, apron swag front,then birdcage bustle, then plainer, v waisted smaller back pad 88/89.
1890s Sleeves start to puff on the shoulder and become huge by 1895 shrinking towards the end of the decade.
1900s Womens hair gets fuller, more of a 'cottage loaf' shape.
Lindsay

Postby ksouthall » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:01 pm

Hello Lindsay and ugleymark,
Thanks for your replies. So the photo is likely to be 1889 to about mid 1890s, allowing for the family not to be up to date with the latest fashions or having held on to best clothes for photos.
Thanks for this. I'm not sure it helps narrow down who the family in the photograph are though. I just wanted to rule out early 1900s.
Thank again,
Katherine
ksouthall

Previous

Return to Photo identification