Moderator Control Panel ]

Robin Gibb (21 September)

Discuss this year's series, featuring celebrities including June Brown, JK Rowling, Sebastian Coe and Alan Carr

Robin Gibb (21 September)

Postby Matt Elton » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:31 am

Hi there,

Apologies to anyone who's been having trouble accessing the forum over the past 24 hours or so – we've been experiencing some technical problems, but they've hopefully now been fixed.

To more exciting matters, though: what did you all think of Robin Gibb's episode of Who Do You Think You Are? last night? Share your thoughts here...

Matt
Matt Elton

Re: Robin Gibb (22 September)

Postby irnbru1970 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:39 pm

I enjoyed the episode - particularly since it was about Paisley and I know the town well. Also it was interesting to see the episode as a few months back I dealt with an enquiry asking if my organisation had any info on the Ragged School and or Matthew Gibb attending it.

It would be great to see how the researchers work - as I think this would be a programme in itself !! and we would all learn so much to see the real experts at work!

Back to last nights programme - I dont remember Barry Bibb his other brother, being mentioned or referred to though Maurice obviously was.

It was interesting to see him researching both sides of the family too - and I enjoyed watching the lady who was delivered by his great grandfather and was inspired by her to be one herself - this was a real indication of how we can all influence future generations... shame that he didnt visit her gravestone if she had one.

But overall it was enjoyable and I really want to live in his converted monastery ! if only I could win the lottery :)
irnbru1970

Re: Robin Gibb (21 September)

Postby Jodakist » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:41 am

A most enjoyable episode.
Jodakist

Postby Emmeline » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:35 pm

I've just finished watching this episode on iplayer as I've been away for the last two weeks. I was especially interested as I come from a long line of shawl weavers in Paisley on my maternal side so I was fascinated to see what they actually did.
I found the story about Cecilia's prosecution really interesting. She was clearly a much-loved and respected member of the community and I'd be so happy and proud to find such a lovely obituary about one of my ancestors.
Emmeline

Postby Annie08 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:20 pm

Hi, I enjoyed this episode too. I've had to wait a week before I've been able to access this site so I'm now glad to be back.

I especially was interested in Cecelia's story as I have three midwifes in the 19/20 century in my family, so I've now got a few leads to follow.

It's a real treat to be able to stand or be in the vicinity of a place where your ancestors lived/worked/schooled, etc, so I particularly felt for Robin as he stood where the School used to be, I've done that kind of thing with my own ancestors, as others have too.

Annie08
Annie08

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2011