Moderator Control Panel ]

Help with dating a photo

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Help with dating a photo

Postby Sherrkat » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:59 pm

Please can anyone help date this photo - its of the Abel family from Liverpool / Bradford. The lady on the middle row, 3rd from the right, Sarah Abel was born in 1871 and she married in 1899. Her husband isn't on the photo so I'm presuming its before 1899.

Thanks
Kate
Attachments
abel family photo.jpg
abel family photo.jpg (205.3 KiB) Viewed 5384 times
Sherrkat

Re: Help with dating a photo

Postby snaphappy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:59 am

Two things strike me with this photograph, firstly, and most importantly, it is shown the wrong way around and should be flipped over so to speak to show the gents breast pockets on the correct side and secondly that it does appear to be a group sitting as one would find for weddings of the period.
All men, with the exception of one, are wearing Lincoln & Bennets which have the classic bell shape to the body of the hat that one expects to see for the period. Couple this with the style of the round-crown hard felt hat that the gent on the right of the picture is holding, the style, shape and general look of the hats worn by the ladies and the presence of turn ups on at least two of the men then a date line of between 1896 to 1900 would be correct. Also have you noticed what looks like a camera on the floor to the left of the gent sitting on the left of the picture?
snaphappy

Postby Sherrkat » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:50 pm

Wow - thanks for this info - I think when I scanned the photo in it must have flipped over as the original is the correct way round. I hadn't noticed the the camera on the floor - how intriguing? I wonder if it belonged to the family? Was it usual to take photos without the bride or groom on it?

Thanks for showing an interest
Sherrkat

Postby pre1837 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:42 am

Looks like a Brownie 120/620 Box Camera with its two view finders.
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Postby irnbru1970 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:15 pm

pre1837 wrote:Looks like a Brownie 120/620 Box Camera with its two view finders.

hi,

just did search on old cameras and the closest that I could see that would also fit in with the date estimate of 1896-1900 is a No. 4 Bullet Special Kodak Camera produced between 1898 and 1900. You can see an image of it here and more information. It also looks very much like the one in the image.

http://www.historiccamera.com/cgi-bin/l ... letspecial
irnbru1970

Postby Sherrkat » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:01 pm

Thanks for this info and for showing an interest.
Sherrkat

Postby Castleton » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:58 pm

To SkerrKat
I know it is some time since you asked for help with this photo.
I only happened upon it earlier this year and have been trying since through the mag. to make
contact. This photo is identical to one in our inherited photo box and we have lots of info to
depart on the people in it & the rest of the family.
Castleton

Postby ritah » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:07 pm

The best way to make sure you get a message to someone in response to an old post is to use the 'PM' symbol to the left of posted messages. When you are logged in simply click on the PM symbol on the message you want to reply to, in this case SherrKat, and the message will be sent directly by email.

Best Wishes Rita
ritah

Return to Photo identification