[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 1100: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'UTC' for 'GMT/0.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 1100: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'UTC' for 'GMT/0.0/no DST' instead
Upload a family tree : Technical help Upload a family tree : Technical help • Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine | Forum

Moderator Control Panel ]

Upload a family tree

If you're having trouble viewing the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum on your computer, tell us here

Upload a family tree

Postby wwinter86 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:46 am

Hi,
Just a quick suggestion, I think it would be good if people could create their trees on this site or upload a gedcom.
So it is a place to share your family trees as well.
wwinter86

Re: Upload a family tree

Postby ksouthall » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:59 pm

Personally, I prefer to keep my family tree private so that a) I can verify all my findings before sharing them with other people; b) to reduce the risk of identity fraud (mother's maiden name is a frequently asked question when applying for bank accounts and credit); and c) I don't want all and sundry looking at my research. I am happy to share my family tree with known relatives but not with all and sundry.

There are plenty of other sites where people can store family trees although many of these require a subscription.

Not sure what anyone else thinks about this and it is just my opinion so if people disagree with me, they are entitled to their own views.
ksouthall

Postby meekhcs » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:56 am

Hello

I think I have to agree with K Southall. I had my family tree on a website and ended up with a lot of hassle so I removed it. The only downside for me is that now I am trying to write up my family history in a book I am having to write up everything from scratch. I never realised just how much info I would accumulate when I started researching!

Sally
meekhcs

Postby Guy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:41 pm

Why oh why do people ever use maiden names as security?
Banks have known since at least 1980 that any security based on maiden names, pet names chocolate bars, words in a dictionary is false security.

It provides an easy route for people to hack into accounts and is worse than useless.

Why worse than useless?

Because it allows the naive to think they have a form of security in place when in fact they have left the front door wide open.
Cheers
Guy
Guy

Return to Technical help