Moderator Control Panel ]

Professional Researcher Using Website

If you're having trouble viewing the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum on your computer, tell us here

Professional Researcher Using Website

Postby christine7553 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:09 pm

I may be naive but I hadn't expected to find a professional researcher using this website to obtain free advice. I joined because I enjoy trying to solve some of the problems we encounter, if I can , and hopefully to broaden my own knowledge while trying !

Silly me !

Christine
christine7553

Re: Professional Researcher Using Website

Postby Guy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:08 pm

Why shouldn't a professional researcher ask for free advice?

Surely it is better that they ask, if they don't know the answer, than stumble about in the dark perpetuating myths as many have done in the past.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby christine7553 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:26 pm

Not if they're using the efforts of good hearted people here and then charging clients for those
efforts and especially not if they conceal that that's what they're doing! This appears to be in contravention of both the Terms and Conditions and the Code of Conduct .

Christine
christine7553

Postby meekhcs » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:11 am

I have to agree with Christine.
I also spend time on the site trying to help people, - and I have been the recipient of help in breaking down several of my brickwalls, for which I am very grateful.
Family History can be a very expensive, time consuming, business and this site can save an individual time and money through the generosity of fellow contributors.
I would be extremely unhappy if I gave of my time to help someone only for them to charge someone else for the information I gave them!!!
A professional researcher should make it plain in their posts that they are researching on behalf of a client and then it is up to fellow contributors as to whether they wish to answer the post or not.
Sally
meekhcs

Postby Editor » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:02 am

Professional researchers should certainly make it clear that they are asking for material on behalf of a client. If anyone feels that the site is being misused, I would really appreciate it if they could send me a 'PM' (personal message). You can do this by clicking the PM symbol next to any of my postings.

Thanks,

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby sylviarobbins1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:04 pm

Life's too short to be worrying about who's using the website. Presumably, Professional Researcher is a magazine reader/subscriber and is entitled to use it.
I don't know who the 'culprit' is and I honestly don't care.
No one is being forced to help anyone. I'd be chuffed to help a failed professional if I had the time to spare!
Sylvia
sylviarobbins1

Postby JackieC » Fri May 27, 2011 6:23 pm

Through another well known website I provided information to someone who led me to believe they were a relative of mine. Over many years I have spent a lot of time and money researching my own family and provided this information in good faith to this person. I am happy to share my findings with other relatives and am pleased to help others with their brick walls. I was angry when I found out that this "relative" was a professional researcher who then sold my freely given information to another distant relative of mine.
JackieC

Postby bandit » Sat May 28, 2011 6:48 pm

Thank you Editor for your comments on this thread. I saw the start of this thread the other day. Over all the years I have been helping people in forums, it never occured to me that someone would get this sort of information for free and then have the cheek to charge someone else for it. I cant say I have been clever enough to spot them but it certainly begs the question , once you have given someone an answer that is correct and they dont get back to you , then I think thats rude. I often wondered why they didnt . So perhaps I am being sceptical in wondering if they are the ones. Too busy making money on the back of a freebie to answer and say thanks! So thank you Editor for your INTEGRITY .

Finally if a professional genealogist is reading this and hasnt declared their interest in a particular thread then you should jolly well be ashamed of yourself and why the heck are you looking on here for your answers instead of doing your own homework. SHAME ON YOU.

regards

bandit
bandit

Postby sylviarobbins1 » Sat May 28, 2011 8:10 pm

Perhaps the professional researcher could reply? It isn't me, by the way.
sylviarobbins1

Postby grandmabear » Tue May 31, 2011 6:30 pm

If its the professional researcher I have noticed, they do give help to other members and say they ask only for their own research.
Jan
grandmabear

Next

Return to Technical help