Moderator Control Panel ]

John Lees

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

John Lees

Postby tawnyowl » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:23 pm

Hi

I'm trying to trace my great grandfather, John Lees. I know he was born around 1864 in Stalybridge, Cheshire through the census records. He had a son, also called John who was born in 1901.

However, I can only trace him back definitely to the 1891 census (RG12/2789) when he was living at 6 Edward St Hyde, Cheshire. I can find no marriage/birth certificates for John. I do know that he did on 6 Feb 1934 at Minto St, Ashton-under-Lyne and was buried in Dukinfield Cemetery.

If anyone can help, I'd be most grateful
tawnyowl

RE: John Lees

Postby fhaddict » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:13 pm

Hi Tawny Owl,

Just looking at your problem.

Which are the know facts? Is it John Lees being born in 1901? Do you have a birth certificate for this? There are only two likely John Lees showing as being born Ashton, 1901 on Freebmd.

The only reason I ask is that I get the feeling that the John Lees you have found as his Father (the one born 1864) seems quite unlikely because he is found, in 1901, living at 17 Wood Street, Stalybridge (RG13/3794), still widowed and still with his son Samuel, but also with his Father, Sister and 2 Nieces.

Be interesting to know what's on the 1901 birth certificate!

fhaddict

Return to General research queries