Moderator Control Panel ]

News on the American series

From Bill Oddie to Ruby Wax, have your say on past episodes of Who Do You Think You Are? here

Re: News on the American series

Postby ksouthall » Sat May 29, 2010 2:39 am

Emmeline wrote: .....I suppose half the fun (I keep telling myself!) is the finding it out yourself. Also, I don't know about anyone else, but sometimes I feel a bit choked up when I find the death of a young child or baby especially if it's happened before in the same family. I know it's silly and I'm not sure I'd want cameras on me during these silly moments :?

I agree with Emmeline. Half the fun is finding things out yourself and the emotional journey that you go on when finding out unexpected events. That's why latching on to someone else's tree on Ancestry, etc, is not as satisfying as finding things out for yourself, plus you still have to verify the information anyway.

That is one of the reasons why the UK version tends to pick people who do not know much about their family history. I believe there was someone who was not included in the series because they already knew a lot about their family history. I can't remember who it was, but I think it could have been June Whitfield.
ksouthall

Postby sawyerfamilyhistory » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:51 pm

Who Do You Think You Are USA

Episode 2 with Brooke Shields

On Sky planner as being shown Sunday 5th July at 21:15pm
sawyerfamilyhistory

Postby Zoe_Z » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:54 pm

Sylcec wrote:However, I think what is going to be an ongoing irritation in following this series is the constant re-capping of what was covered before the ad break after each ad break and the introduction of what is going to happen after the next ad-break! Surely even American citizens have sufficient recall to be able to follow a program around the breaks. It really does limit the amount of new material they are able to include about any of the subjects.
Cheers, Sylvia

Quote snipped for space. Bold for extra clarification.

For me, the worse parts of the series are the recaps and the previews of what's coming up after our multiple sales breaks. It's like they're speaking to idiots, people who can't remember what happened minutes ago. Do they really think Americans are that involved in the commercials that we forget what we just saw? The constant "reminders" are annoying plus they waste valuable airtime.

Yes, I do find the recaps more irritating that Sarah Jessica Parker's unrelenting "oh my god" and "un-be-liev-able" exclamations.
Zoe_Z

Postby Zoe_Z » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:58 pm

Editor wrote:The re-capping after ad breaks has been removed for the UK version of the US series. The BBC has even put in some more historic background to fill in the gaps made by the ad breaks and (I think personally) made the episodes even better.

Sarah

I would love to see that version of the American series. Without recaps and no commercials - heaven! :D
Zoe_Z

Postby Zoe_Z » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:08 am

Emmeline wrote:In some ways that would be great but I suppose half the fun (I keep telling myself!) is the finding it out yourself. Also, I don't know about anyone else, but sometimes I feel a bit choked up when I find the death of a young child or baby especially if it's happened before in the same family. I know it's silly and I'm not sure I'd want cameras on me during these silly moments :?

I also tend to get choked up when reading of the deaths of the little ones. It's not silly. My sadness for them and their families equals the joy I experience when finally finding ancestors who've been eluding me for years. All these discoveries are what make the search rewarding. Those who pluck from the trees of others without doing their own research are missing out on the true adventure of finding ancestors.
Zoe_Z

Previous

Return to Previous series of Who Do You Think You Are?