It is currently Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:31 am

News News of yourdomain.com

Site map of yourdomain.com » Forum : yourdomain.com

A short text to describe your forum

Home Guard

I've just phoned that number WDYTYA magazine gave to enquire about Home Guard Service Records. They claim that the only details they would have on Home Guard forms is they date they joined and the date they left. I tend to believe what the magazine wrote!

I can't believe a military organisation wouldn't be interested to know if their recruits had previous experience. Sounds like more heel dragging to me!

Cheers, FHA
Read more : Home Guard | Views : 1253 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Genealogy chat

Cause of death

Hi,
On my GG Grandfathers death certificate it gives the cause of death as 'softening of the brain', certified by a surgeon. Any ideas?
Cheers
Sue
Read more : Cause of death | Views : 2561 | Replies : 3 | Forum : General research queries

Best Websites for?

As someone with many Scottish ancestors I'm sure I'm not alone in finding most genealogy magazines heavily biased towards english research. I somehow expected more from the new WDYTYA magazine - maybe because it's linked to a national organisation

However, as usual Scotland is more or less ignored. A prime example was your “Best Websites For Researching Coalmining Ancestors” For Scotland we have one mention - the Scottish Mining Museum site - which is briefly ...
Read more : Best Websites for? | Views : 1568 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Genealogy chat

HOWARD - Canadian Mariner

I am a bit stuck on my great-great grandfather, Thomas D'Walden Howard. He was inconsiderate enough to be born in St. John, New Brunswick, Canada, where they appear to have few or no records. He was a Master Mariner (Ticket no. 303), but I have no idea how to follow up on that information.
I know his father was William, and was a Merchant who also built ships. William was born in Ireland, but have ...
Read more : HOWARD - Canadian Mariner | Views : 3872 | Replies : 9 | Forum : General research queries

Anglo Indian?

After watching Alasdair McGown programme last week, I was struck by the similarities in features of his ancestors and my father. My father was illigetimate born in 1924, the origins of his father are unknown(his mother was Scottish) hence I have come to a standstill regarding this line. I did think he was Italian looking as he had sallow skin and dark eyes with black hair. My query is that I would like to know ...
Read more : Anglo Indian? | Views : 3445 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Alistair McGowan

Anglo-Indian Celebrities!

A few other Anglo-Indian celebrities who should be featured in the next series should be Sir Cliff Richard and Englebert Humperdinck.
Read more : Anglo-Indian Celebrities! | Views : 14419 | Replies : 9 | Forum : Alistair McGowan

Alistair McGowan

Fantastic programme, from a personal level Alistair's story is very similar to my own families and managed to answer some of the mystery surrounding our indian relative, we always thought it would probably be a woman. Alistair's dad came to England the same year as my dad although we always knew where my dad was from. At the age of 41 I and my siblings didn't realise that we too are Anglo Indian, what a ...
Read more : Alistair McGowan | Views : 1666 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Alistair McGowan

Beach House Hotel, Deal, Kent

This photo shows a dining room and servants at the Beach House Hotel in Deal. It may have been a Temperance hotel and both my grandfather and great-grandfather, James and Samuel Robinson Jefferson were proprietors there for some time.

I would welcome any information about the hotel and its staff around the late 1800's, early 1900's but would specifically be interested if anybody is able to put a date on this photograph. I'm guessing the ...
Read more : Beach House Hotel, Deal, Kent | Views : 3915 | Replies : 7 | Forum : Photo identification

Re: 1841 housing & rose tinted glasses

I have recently been looking into the social history as background for my investigations into my ancestors. I feel that you had forgotten to take your rose tinted glasses off with article on housing in the 1840’s. The poorest had to cram a whole family into one room. While there was various bits of legislation passed around this time, it would be many years before it had an impact on the housing the poor had ...
Read more : Re: 1841 housing & rose tinted glasses | Views : 1900 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Genealogy chat

Alastair MCgowan_Who do you think you are?

I saw the programme. I am an Anglo-Indian born in Calcutta and very proud of the fact. My parentage comprised Dutch and English descent from way back. I always say "I am an Anglo-Indian" and find that I do not have to explain the origins much nowadays as most people have come to know about this minority which was rooted in The East India Company or even the Dutch East India Company.
I was educated ...
Read more : Alastair MCgowan_Who do you think you are? | Views : 2978 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Alistair McGowan

Login  •  Register