It is currently Wed May 27, 2020 10:21 pm

News News of Discuss

Site map of Discuss » Forum : Discuss

Missing/lost files at TNA

Researchers might like to know about this from the User Advisory Group in March 2020 before the Coronavirus hit us. It relates to missing or lost files after they had been transferred back from TNA to departments, it has been a scandal for years and that digital versions should be supplied to departments if they could not attend TNA. In my view only files needed for legal reasons should be allowed out of TNA. Shame ...
Read more : Missing/lost files at TNA | Views : 41 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Genealogy chat

Closure of Forum - new one coming?

As you will know by now this forum will close on 1 June.

A group of us - all long-term members - are in the initial stages of setting up a new forum. One which we hope will be as friendly, welcoming and helpful as the WDYTYA forum has been to so many people over the years.

Setting up a new forum is not something any of us have taken on lightly and to make ...
Read more : Closure of Forum - new one coming? | Views : 124 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Genealogy chat

Archives and tv

I was watching two repeat episodes of 'Morse' (the Oxford detective series) during the lockdown where Lewis was sent to do research in Oxford Record Office on a brewery company in the 19th century where there were, Lewis said, lots of documents and were uncatalogued (I know the feeling) and someone found it for him in the record office. The second episode was when Morse's personal file on his service had been hacked and changed ...
Read more : Archives and tv | Views : 142 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Genealogy chat

Coronavirus

Following Prime Minister Johnson's briefing today and yesterday's statement on the virus it looks like libraries and I assume The National Archives will be closed for some considerable time. Hopefully staff at TNA and in the other archives do not go back until it is safe to do so ("social-distancing") etc. We may have a long wait to get back in to do research, but that is no bad thing.
Read more : Coronavirus | Views : 167 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Genealogy chat

Fold3.com currently free includes British records

I noticed when looking at fold3.com recently that British records appear to be free.

I was looking at the category International https://www.fold3.com/browse/310/ and all the British records appear to be free.

All the online books, histories etc under the heading "Military Books" appear to be free. https://www.fold3.com/browse/310/hTGb85NZ8

However, I could not see anything on the website which referred to the free records, so ...
Read more : Fold3.com currently free includes British records | Views : 214 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Genealogy chat

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], brunes08, foblacking, Google [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 65971 • Total topics 13063 • Total members 6274