It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:11 pm

News News of Military help

Site map of Military help » Forum : Military help

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Great grandfather

Hi,

I’m helping my nephew with his WW1 school project. I have an image of my great grandfather who was in the military during WW1 but can anyone identify which regiment he was in by his cap badge?
Read more : Great grandfather | Views : 181 | Replies : 5

British Royal Air Force Airmen's service records

I am unable to decipher the record transcriptions of two of my relatives which are on the Findmypast website. The first concerns Herbert Cyril Fleetwood born 22 May 1900 in Birmingham, Warwickshire.
His main service commenced 18 June 1918 and from there I am unable to follow! The departure Authority is RD 79, SJHC/198, SJWO/124 and 59Log TY and the Unit to which RD is STHC, 59TDS, 5YTDS and DC Chwoeldon (but this may have ...
Read more : British Royal Air Force Airmen's service records | Views : 199 | Replies : 1

Edward Graham - Seaman Merchant Navy WWII

Hi, I'm looking for any information on Edward Graham born about 1911 in Liverpool, England. He was a seaman in the Merchant Navy in 1942 when he married and possibly disappeared to Australia with his brother John when the war ended. Can anyone help me find his records so that I can try and track him down. I think his father may also have been enlisted, he was also an Edward Graham who was a ...
Read more : Edward Graham - Seaman Merchant Navy WWII | Views : 188 | Replies : 2

Samuel Howarth (1907-1980) - Royal Artillery

Samuel Howarth was born 20 Dec 1907 in Baildon, West Yorks to parents Francis & Clara Howarth.

His 1925 Royal Artillery Attestation record on FMP indicates the following:
Number: 765434
Attested: 24 Oct 1925 Bradford, Territorial Force, 4 years
Trade upon Enlistment: riveter
Re-enlisted: 16 June 1926 into West Yorkshire Regiment (gunner)
Serial number: 21972 198/1463

What intrigues me are these two UK, Incoming Passenger Lists on Ancestry for Samuel:

Name Samuel Howarth
Birth Date ...
Read more : Samuel Howarth (1907-1980) - Royal Artillery | Views : 333 | Replies : 9

Lonely woman in Beirut CWGC Cemetery, Lebanon Lonely woman in Beirut CWGC Cemetery, Lebanon

All

I am currently photographing all the war graves in Lebanon and came across this woman in Beirut

I cant find any further details as to her history - there is a lot of interest locally and Im wondering if there is anyone ou there who could help me get some more background? GRO and usual sites all exhausted!

Josephine Tahhan
2990210 ACW 2nd Class
Women's Auxiliary Air Force

Died 17 Feb 1946, buried Beirut ...
Read more : Lonely woman in Beirut CWGC Cemetery, Lebanon | Views : 325 | Replies : 4

Frank Newman in the Anglo-Zulu War

Frank Newman (born 1858) is my great grandfather and I have come across his obituary in a newspaper item in 1934. The obituary indicates that Frank was born in Stedham, Sussex and at the age of 18 enlisted as a drummer in the 1st Battn. Wiltshire Regiment. He saw service in the Zulu War in 1879 for which he held the African medal with clasp. He afterwards served in the reserve, being finally discharged in ...
Read more : Frank Newman in the Anglo-Zulu War | Views : 418 | Replies : 8

Hadleigh Loyal Volunteers abt. 1810

Can anyone help me with finding my gt (x5)grandfather - John Campion. Hopefully I've uploaded the picture correctly, but this is a painting of him about 1810 by W.S. Lethbridge. He was in the Hadleigh Loyal Volunteers and his marriage record in 1795 says he was a Valet de Chambre. Family story was that he had worked for a Duke. Marriage and son's birth is in Essex so wondering why he was part of a ...
Read more : Hadleigh Loyal Volunteers abt. 1810 | Views : 1056 | Replies : 27

My great grand uncle’s War Record.

Albert Hill service record page 1.jpg
After years of dead ends in researching one of my grand uncles, I came across an interesting document - his War Record.

Albert Hill was born on either 1st or 6th December 1865 in Walsoken, Norfolk.

I believe that the 1871 census for Ely, Cambridgeshire was destroyed in a flood and so I have not found him on any 1871 census.

In the 1881 census he ...
Read more : My great grand uncle’s War Record. | Views : 386 | Replies : 6

Women in WW2

Does anyone recognise the uniforms or badges in these images they're of my Gran during WW2 however we did not know she had any link to the military. Any help would be great. Thanks
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1504898575.733053.jpg
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1504898592.493099.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Read more : Women in WW2 | Views : 296 | Replies : 1

John Campbell - 1800s - stationed in Ireland

HI,
I know that this is a long shot, but I have been trying to figure a way to track down my 4th great grandfather, John Campbell and his military record.

The family story goes is that he was stationed in Ireland and fell in love with my 4th great grandmother, Mary Looney/Lunney and they eloped to Scotland. I have tracked down that the name of Looney/Lunney which is common in Northern Ireland. Their older ...
Read more : John Campbell - 1800s - stationed in Ireland | Views : 455 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], DianaCanada, Google [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 53193 • Total topics 10421 • Total members 31001