It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:12 am

News News of Military help

Site map of Military help » Forum : Military help

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Frank Newman in the Anglo-Zulu War

Frank Newman (born 1858) is my great grandfather and I have come across his obituary in a newspaper item in 1934. The obituary indicates that Frank was born in Stedham, Sussex and at the age of 18 enlisted as a drummer in the 1st Battn. Wiltshire Regiment. He saw service in the Zulu War in 1879 for which he held the African medal with clasp. He afterwards served in the reserve, being finally discharged in ...
Read more : Frank Newman in the Anglo-Zulu War | Views : 191 | Replies : 8

Hadleigh Loyal Volunteers abt. 1810

Can anyone help me with finding my gt (x5)grandfather - John Campion. Hopefully I've uploaded the picture correctly, but this is a painting of him about 1810 by W.S. Lethbridge. He was in the Hadleigh Loyal Volunteers and his marriage record in 1795 says he was a Valet de Chambre. Family story was that he had worked for a Duke. Marriage and son's birth is in Essex so wondering why he was part of a ...
Read more : Hadleigh Loyal Volunteers abt. 1810 | Views : 487 | Replies : 27

My great grand uncle’s War Record.

Albert Hill service record page 1.jpg
After years of dead ends in researching one of my grand uncles, I came across an interesting document - his War Record.

Albert Hill was born on either 1st or 6th December 1865 in Walsoken, Norfolk.

I believe that the 1871 census for Ely, Cambridgeshire was destroyed in a flood and so I have not found him on any 1871 census.

In the 1881 census he ...
Read more : My great grand uncle’s War Record. | Views : 171 | Replies : 6

Women in WW2

Does anyone recognise the uniforms or badges in these images they're of my Gran during WW2 however we did not know she had any link to the military. Any help would be great. Thanks
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1504898575.733053.jpg
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1504898592.493099.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Read more : Women in WW2 | Views : 146 | Replies : 1

John Campbell - 1800s - stationed in Ireland

HI,
I know that this is a long shot, but I have been trying to figure a way to track down my 4th great grandfather, John Campbell and his military record.

The family story goes is that he was stationed in Ireland and fell in love with my 4th great grandmother, Mary Looney/Lunney and they eloped to Scotland. I have tracked down that the name of Looney/Lunney which is common in Northern Ireland. Their older ...
Read more : John Campbell - 1800s - stationed in Ireland | Views : 310 | Replies : 2

Scots Greys 2nd Battalion?

Hi

I am researching my friends grandfather and I have found a newspaper article where it states that he was a deserter from the Scots Greys 2nd Battalion, it is dated 1927. I am not sure how true this was as he was basically a criminal and was in court charged with theft and trying to stab a police officer. He was born in 1901 which again does not really fit with when he would ...
Read more : Scots Greys 2nd Battalion? | Views : 143 | Replies : 8

WW1 regiment identification Ralph Taylor

I believe this is Ralph Taylor, born 1892, but need to identify the cap badge to confirm. Any ideas? Also, what are the two markings on his left sleeve? Thanks.
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1504300185.086194.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Read more : WW1 regiment identification Ralph Taylor | Views : 154 | Replies : 4

John WAYE in 28th regiment x 2

Two men named John Waye, both from South Tawton, Devon, enlisted in the army.
#1. John Waye b 1768, aged 34.5 on enlistment 18.1.1802 in the 46th foot, transferred to the 1st Batt of 28th Regt on 18.7.1804. Discharged 31.8.1814 age 47 after 10 yrs 44 days. Wounded at Vittorio. (Nice pic of his medal on google when it was sold at auction).
5 ft 2 in, a woolcomber from South Tawton. Died there in ...
Read more : John WAYE in 28th regiment x 2 | Views : 159 | Replies : 4

Badge from Baghdad

I'm posting this for a friend. He found a badge/pin that belonged to his g grandfather. It seems to commemorate his time in Baghdad during the final year of the First World War, as a lance corporal with the 2nd battalion of the Royal West Kent.

I thought it looked hand made and I just wanted to see what anyone else thought. Thanks.
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1503910687.475153.jpg
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1503910704.669675.jpg

Sent ...
Read more : Badge from Baghdad | Views : 137 | Replies : 3

Help please - Frederick Lee 2nd Regt of Foot

I'm looking for any more info on this guy, or generally about the Regimental history.

Born 1840 in White Waltham, enlisted 30 Sep 1859 into 2nd Regt of Foot and then transferred (not sure of when) into 105th Regt of Foot (Madras Light Infantry). Discharged 1878.

Any help appreciated, especially any historical data on where he would most likely have served....

Many thanks
Read more : Help please - Frederick Lee 2nd Regt of Foot | Views : 247 | Replies : 10

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], outletugg, Yahoo [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 52386 • Total topics 10282 • Total members 30837