It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:46 am

News News of Military help

Site map of Military help » Forum : Military help

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Sgt Frank Canham - Died 1917

Hello.
In my family’s possession we have a memorial card for Sergeant/Serjeant Frank Canham, 2nd Battalion Royal Fusiliers (or sometimes the London Regiment). He died on 24-4-1917 in France/Flanders, regimental number L/15202. (His age is not given, though I seem to recall somewhere it may have said he was about 29, but that would contradict what follows.)
Can anyone find out if he was the same person as John Francis Canham, born Q2 1894 in ...
Read more : Sgt Frank Canham - Died 1917 | Views : 98 | Replies : 5

Navy Disciplinary Practice in WW2

As a young single woman, my mother was conscripted in 1943 and elected to serve in the WRNS. I have obtained her service record from the Navy, which indicates that she served as a Wren (General Duties) at HMS Western Isles from November 1943 to February 1945. By a process of deduction it is plain that, whilst there, she fell pregnant and I arrived in November 1945. I grew up with an acute awareness that ...
Read more : Navy Disciplinary Practice in WW2 | Views : 46 | Replies : 0

WW2 Army Records

Dad served in WW2 with the Cheshire Regiment (6th Battalion). I've tried all the sites but its as if he never existed army-wise. Even the Service Number, given to me by the Regiment, doesn't seem to exist. He went to North Africa, Italian Campaign, Yugoslavia and, finally, Palestine, before shipping home. We have photographic proof, as well. My plan is to apply for his Service Records but without the correct number they won't be able ...
Read more : WW2 Army Records | Views : 504 | Replies : 5

Pay Due From War Office 1837

I have a copy of a will for Thomas Latham of Mucclestone, dated 1827 (not 1837 as in title) which says “probate not extracted the will being proved in Drs Commons on Acct of pay being due from the war office”. I would like to know how I can find out more information about his war office pay and what that would have been for.

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You ...
Read more : Pay Due From War Office 1837 | Views : 216 | Replies : 5

British Army - Widow Pensions

Hi there

I hope someone can help answer my question please re British Army widow pensions in the first half of the 1800s.

When former enlisted personnel (ie NOT officers) died, did their Army pension pass on to their widow or did the pension die with the retired solder?

I have tried without success to find this information online.

Many thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions on where to look.

Tessacate
Read more : British Army - Widow Pensions | Views : 191 | Replies : 4

Boer war soldiers

Is there anywhere that I can find a list of soldiers who served in the second Boer War?
My family believe that Thomas Tobin from Liverpool was in South Africa as part of the mounted infantry but we cannot find any definite evidence to support the belief.

Thanks Tobina
Read more : Boer war soldiers | Views : 233 | Replies : 5

Charles Hemmings OBLI WW1

I'm trying to work out when Charles Hemmings joined the OBLI.

His number is 240889 and his medal card shows only Victory and War medal. Unfortunately, his records don't survive.

I've been unable to find any other OBLI men whose records have suvived and whose numbers are similar to Charles.

The CWGC records John Hall of the OBLI with the number 265596 who died in July 16 so my best guess at the moment is ...
Read more : Charles Hemmings OBLI WW1 | Views : 230 | Replies : 5

Harry Nunn Trophy - HAC

About 15 years ago, the Honourable Artillery Company (HAC) had a different website to the one they have now, and on a page about their museum they had a photo of a 'Harry Nunn Trophy'. It depicted a man on a horse, if I remember correctly, and was wondering who he was. I had 2 relatives who were in the HAC with similar names, and was wondering if it was anything to do with either ...
Read more : Harry Nunn Trophy - HAC | Views : 440 | Replies : 6

WW11 record

I am trying to research my Dad's WW11 record but I don't have information to build on such as service no/regiment/dates etc. He was born in 1919 so would have been 20 years old when war was declared. He was in Burma during the war the only thing he even mentioned was that he was high up in the mountains? It was mentioned by my family years ago just after Dad died in 1978 that ...
Read more : WW11 record | Views : 367 | Replies : 2

International Bomber Command Centre

The IBCC is undertaking a research project to identify and recognise those who were Jewish and were killed serving in Bomber Command during WW2. The IBCC has the names of nearly 58,000 men and women on the Walls of Names and they came from 60 different nations. We have identified nearly 600 to date from all around the world who came and served. We are still looking for Jewish families who lost a family member ...
Read more : International Bomber Command Centre | Views : 228 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 60328 • Total topics 12116 • Total members 33256