It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:07 am

News News of Military help

Site map of Military help » Forum : Military help

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Argyll And Sutherland Highlanders

Hi, I'm trying to track down the service record of John Wright service number S/14470 of the 2nd and then later 14th Bat. Argyll And Sutherland Highlanders. He was awarded the Military Medal, posted in the London Gazette on the 13th May 1919. Searched high and low on Ancestry and elsewhere, where I can find his Record card for the British War Medal and Victory Medal - there is is recorded as L/Sgt formerly CPL ...
Read more : Argyll And Sutherland Highlanders | Views : 125 | Replies : 3

WW1 Soldier Uniform Identification WW1 Soldier Uniform Identification

I am trying to identify the soldier in this photograph found amongst my grandmother's belongings and wonder if anyone can help identify the uniform or anything about the photograph in general, i.e. building, location, date, etc. Thank you.
Read more : WW1 Soldier Uniform Identification | Views : 172 | Replies : 3

Kew lookup request (24th regiment c1785)

If anyone is heading to Kew this summer, I would be extremely grateful for lookup assistance please.

In 2017, Adrian kindly offered suggestions with my soldier ancestor brickwall, with a trip to Kew being my only recourse. Unfortunately, I'm not geographically able to travel to Kew this year.

I need a search for my John Worrel in the following General Muster Books and Pay Lists:

24th Foot 1st Battalion - WO 12/4059 (1760-1782)
24th Foot ...
Read more : Kew lookup request (24th regiment c1785) | Views : 297 | Replies : 6

198 Havy Battery R G A

Hi.

I have been searching for many years to find where 198 Heavy Battery R G A were during WW 1.
I have been told that 198 was disbanded and the men sent to other Battalions.

I have a photograph taken outside what looks like the front door of a large house.
There are 18 men in this photo - four seated and 14 standing and in front of them is a hand written notice ...
Read more : 198 Havy Battery R G A | Views : 522 | Replies : 7

Royal Garrison Artillery - 128th Heavy Battery

I am researching my grandfathers ww1 service. I am lucky in that I have found his army record and know that he enrolled in Dec 1915 and was out in the army reserve until June 1916. In October 1916 he was posted ti BEF France to 128th Heavy Battery is there anyway of finding out where in France this unit was based?

My Grandfather was injured, which led to him having his left lower leg ...
Read more : Royal Garrison Artillery - 128th Heavy Battery | Views : 777 | Replies : 15

Uniform identification

Hi,

I've got a photo of my Great Uncle, Albert Charles West in uniform, and wondered if anybody can identify the unit etc. I have a newspaper clipping that says he served in the Home Guard, and then the RAF in the Middle East, but I don't know his service number or anything and would like to find out more.
Read more : Uniform identification | Views : 286 | Replies : 2

Royal Engineers

Hello,

I've just subscribed to the magazine and thought this forum could help me.

I've recently purchased an army uniform from a charity shop in Windsor - mainly for the lovely jacket. A colleague of mine believes the uniform was one the Royal Engineers wore in WW2 - and internet search appears to confirm this.

We thought it might be nice to find out a bit about the previous owner. The only details I have ...
Read more : Royal Engineers | Views : 270 | Replies : 2

Ancestry - Military Help

Hello,
I am trying to trace my grandfather:-
Walter John Lodge, born 1907, ilford/hornchurch??
he was bought up as an orphan, my mother doesn't know any information on him as he sadly died in 1945 when my mother was only 2 years old. My nan never disclosed any information.
we have recently managed to obtain his army records, yet we cannot find any trace of him on ancestry.
hoping this is where you guys can ...
Read more : Ancestry - Military Help | Views : 1435 | Replies : 26

Is this possible ?

Hi
While researching a friends family I have come across an Attestation paper for a James Thomas Matthews. He was 20 when enlisting ,D.oB 1887 , so he enlisted in 1907 in the Kings Royal Rifles.
The paper states he had previous service with the 20th Hussars . Would there have been a time limit of his first service with The Hussars ? . He must have joined The Hussars quite young to have any ...
Read more : Is this possible ? | Views : 318 | Replies : 2

Khaki dockers

My husband’s grandfather was wounded at Mons in 1914. He was sent home to be hospitalised after which we believe he became a khaki docker in Liverpool.
We have been unable to find any information about the khaki dockers or even if they existed.
Has anyone else heard of these & if so where can we find information?

Tobina
Read more : Khaki dockers | Views : 453 | Replies : 5

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 61427 • Total topics 12303 • Total members 6427