It is currently Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:36 am

News News of Military help

Site map of Military help » Forum : Military help

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

WW11 record

I am trying to research my Dad's WW11 record but I don't have information to build on such as service no/regiment/dates etc. He was born in 1919 so would have been 20 years old when war was declared. He was in Burma during the war the only thing he even mentioned was that he was high up in the mountains? It was mentioned by my family years ago just after Dad died in 1978 that ...
Read more : WW11 record | Views : 127 | Replies : 2

International Bomber Command Centre

The IBCC is undertaking a research project to identify and recognise those who were Jewish and were killed serving in Bomber Command during WW2. The IBCC has the names of nearly 58,000 men and women on the Walls of Names and they came from 60 different nations. We have identified nearly 600 to date from all around the world who came and served. We are still looking for Jewish families who lost a family member ...
Read more : International Bomber Command Centre | Views : 75 | Replies : 0

Visiting TNA? A favour to ask.

A very cheeky question but is anyone visiting the National Archives within the next week or so?

I need to know what the Army Service records show for Lieutenant Leonard Ambrose Cundell, born 1897, Wiltshire. I know he was still a race horse trainer in 1916, that he was with the Remount Service and served in Egypt but other than that I have nothing (although plenty about his life outside the army).

I can't get ...
Read more : Visiting TNA? A favour to ask. | Views : 93 | Replies : 0

Croix de Guerre

A descendant of mine Charles Hardwicke was a surgeon with the French Red Cross between 1915 and 1918. He served in France and then Macedonia with French Colonial troops. In a newspaper article he says he was awarded the Croix de Guerre for personally supervising the evacuation of over 150 badly injured men under heavy shell and machine gun fire. I can't find any reference in the London Gazette or elsewhere on line. Can anyone ...
Read more : Croix de Guerre | Views : 456 | Replies : 6

Medal card for Harry John Dore

Harry John Dore, born 1878 Berkshire. Served with the Royal Berkshire Rt and the Royal Engineers Road Construction Company.

His military papers survive but I have been unable to find his medal card. He must have one as he served in France.

Can anyone it? He did not serve with the Gloucesterhire Rgt, The Hampshire Rgt or the York or Lancaster Regiment, solders with whom I can find medal cards for.
Read more : Medal card for Harry John Dore | Views : 185 | Replies : 2

Born in India

Help, my Grandmother was born in India whilst her father was serving there in approx 1876-1878, the only details I have about him is his name and when she married he was deceased and was listed as a Sargeant Major in the army. I would like if possible a copy of her birth certificate. What site would be best for researching as there seems to be a few (all charging) and I am not sure ...
Read more : Born in India | Views : 443 | Replies : 2

Questions - Military Jacket

Hello,

I'm looking for some help with a photo and I hoped someone may be able to share some more knowledge based on what they see!

I thought the jacket in the photo may be ceremonial wear rather than regiment uniform as the material doesn't look like the khaki worn on active duty and the person is holding white gloves. I'd really appreciate it if someone were able to let me know if this is ...
Read more : Questions - Military Jacket | Views : 576 | Replies : 16

Private John Thomas Broughton

I am researching my ancestor John Thomas Broughton who died as a POW on 24th October 1918 and is buried in Hamburg. He was the brother of Charles William Broughton. I am wondering if anyone out there has a photo of him please?
Read more : Private John Thomas Broughton | Views : 288 | Replies : 1

Military Records from the MOD

On the 29 November I posted a quest for my Grandfather's army record from the MODs records office in Scotland.

It is now the 18 December and there is no sign of the cheque being cashed. Is it normal for it to take this long or do I presume the request has been lost somewhere and need to get the cheque cancelled?
Read more : Military Records from the MOD | Views : 483 | Replies : 4

Harold John Clark 1st Cambs

According to the Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919 dataset on Ancestry, Harold John Clark of the 1st Cambs was killed in action in Flanders on 26 Sep 1917. I found his medal card but I can't find him anywhere on the CWGC site or on astreetnearyou.org. Is it common that a soldier killed in action on the Western Front is not on any memorial and apparently has no war grave?
Read more : Harold John Clark 1st Cambs | Views : 318 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Registered users: aquaticbanana, Bing [Bot], foblacking, midshipman

Statistics

Total posts 59530 • Total topics 12004 • Total members 32959