It is currently Sun May 31, 2020 7:59 pm

News News of Military help

Site map of Military help » Forum : Military help

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Service records

Hello All,

Is it possible to get service records if you don’t have a service number.
I have regiment ,Name, Parents name,DoB and death date.

Many thanks,

Madge
Read more : Service records | Views : 132 | Replies : 7

Closure of Forum - new one coming?

As you will know by now this forum will close on 1 June.

A group of us - all long-term members - are in the initial stages of setting up a new forum. One which we hope will be as friendly, welcoming and helpful as the WDYTYA forum has been to so many people over the years.

Setting up a new forum is not something any of us have taken on lightly and to make ...
Read more : Closure of Forum - new one coming? | Views : 72 | Replies : 1

BARKUS — Mon/Welsh — where in 1916?

Private William Barkus died (accidentally) in 10th Battalion of the Welsh Regt (#266679) on the 18 Sept 1917 (buried Y Farm Military Cemetery Bois-Grenier). He is from Newport, Mon.

No Attestation papers/service record.

Medal Card has 3 regt numbers:
Monmouthshire Regiment (#3921)
Welsh Regiment (#15021 and #266679)

Questions:
(a) Which Welsh Battalion was he in as 15021?
(b) Ultimately, I want to know where he was in July 1916.

Paul Nixon's blog does not cover ...
Read more : BARKUS — Mon/Welsh — where in 1916? | Views : 227 | Replies : 10

John DRUCE RFA — No Service?

Gunner John DRUCE enlisted in the RFA (reg number 273052). He lived in Oxfordshire, but his medal card is empty in the box for Theatre of War. We know nothing of his service history.

Questions:
(a) Is the empty Theatre line an oversight or a pretty definite indication that he did not see action?

(b) Paul Nixon's Army Service Number Blog does not list high RFA numbers like this. Does anyone know of any other ...
Read more : John DRUCE RFA — No Service? | Views : 418 | Replies : 5

Two medal cards?

Dear All,

Perhaps a naive question, but can a single soldier in WW1 have two Medal Cards (perhaps by changing units)?

I ask because a newspaper death announcement details a *different* chronology to the Medal Card I do have (and yes, I do believe each one is 'my man').

Any help in my bumbling confusion would be gratefully received.

Regards,

Anthony

[For the record the Soldier is Pte Thomas Robinson MM (#9977, 10th Bn Glosters, ...
Read more : Two medal cards? | Views : 621 | Replies : 14

19th Field Survey Unit

I have got my dad's military history from Glasgow (he died 45 years ago), but lack the knowledge to decipher it and how to locate the war diaries involved. Would I be better off getting a professional military genealogist on the case? He was in the RE, BEF as a Helio worker in the 19th Forward Survey Unit. Thank you.
Read more : 19th Field Survey Unit | Views : 209 | Replies : 6

Join British Army from Channel Islands ?

Hi I'm tracing my grandad Charles D Carter born 1902 in channel islands,
I'm trying to trace information on his army records. I now he was on a ship from London bound for Yokohama on 30/12/1927 at a Corporal Returned on 21/12/1934 from Yokohama to London registering his address as c/o record pay office, Albany street barracks, regents park London. registered as a solider
I can't find anything about his service number anywhere
many thanks
Read more : Join British Army from Channel Islands ? | Views : 162 | Replies : 2

Navy Service Records

I have a copy of my great grandfather’s navy service records with all of his postings between 1933-61.

I would like to find out more about what each ship did during his time on board - I was thinking of looking for a naval historian to help? Has anyone done this before or know anyone they could recommend? Or any resources to be able to look into it myself?

Any suggestions would be very much ...
Read more : Navy Service Records | Views : 165 | Replies : 2

Welch battalion

My ancestor was involved in France during WW1. I have discovered he was in the 3rd Bn.Welch. however while trying to learn more about this battalion I can not seem to find anything with this name. Am I completely missing something?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Read more : Welch battalion | Views : 177 | Replies : 3

9th USA Air Force Burma 1943

I was recently going through my dad's military records etc. and came across two photos from Burma of American airmen. Although I suspect they have now passed on I wondered if anyone recognises them or has any information?
One came from Oklahoma & one from Texas.Both were in the 9th Airforce.
I realise this is a long shot but here's hoping!

Tobina
Read more : 9th USA Air Force Burma 1943 | Views : 165 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, jkmsk

Statistics

Total posts 66014 • Total topics 13067 • Total members 6280