It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:32 am

News News of Military help

Site map of Military help » Forum : Military help

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

John Ellis military uniform WW1? regiment?

John Langworthy Ellis.jpg
Photo found among Ellis family memorabilia. Can anyone help identify the regiment from this photo and the likely period please?
Read more : John Ellis military uniform WW1? regiment? | Views : 113 | Replies : 1

Capt ?Craig? 4th Regt on marriage document

Happy New Year ,
I am trying to find out more about James Phillips who married Charity Chalk in South Stoneham, Hampshire in 1813. One of the witnesses to the marriage is a Capt D.S. possibly Craig? of the 4th Regt. Why would he be a witness, unless James was a soldier? However, James is listed as an Ag Lab (1841,1851) or General dealer (1861) on the census.
Firstly, am I reading the name correctly ...
Read more : Capt ?Craig? 4th Regt on marriage document | Views : 280 | Replies : 8

1860s British army marriage

Hi - I'm trying to find the marriage of William Smith (born about 1840 in Holborn/London) of 2nd Battalion 13th Regiment of Foot and Jane Jones (born about 1850 in Trichinopoly, India according to 1911 census).

As far as I can tell, their first son Alfred was born in 1869 in Gosport, Hampshire, so I imagine they can't have been married long before then, but I can't find any records for their marriage anywhere. William's ...
Read more : 1860s British army marriage | Views : 114 | Replies : 1

Royal York Rangers

My 2x great-grandfather, Stephen Roberts, was enrolled into the Royal York Rangers (RYR) in about 1809 and served in the West Indies being demobbed in 1819 when he became a Chelsea Pensioner, dying in 1840. I have found out that the RYR was a "naughty boy regiment". Having found details of his time as a Chelsea Pensioner, I would like to find out why he was enrolled into the RYR? Where can I find his ...
Read more : Royal York Rangers | Views : 123 | Replies : 1

Canadian newspapers

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help point nd in the right direction. I'm trying to find a photo of Edward Donnelly reg no. 57164 who died in ww1. He lived in Canada and was born in glasgow.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembran ... ail/511126

I know a lot of photos were printed in newspapers and hoping to find one of Edward.

Kind regards

Richard
Read more : Canadian newspapers | Views : 142 | Replies : 2

Winter War Volunteers, Finland.

Does anyone have any information on the lads who volunteered to go to Finland in 1939 when they were invaded by the Russians?

My father in law, Peter Cooper, was one of the men and, according to Justin Brooke’s book ‘The Volunteers’ he spent some time working alongside 2 men called Humphries and Maund who tried to make their way back to England on their own but disappeared. I now have details of a possible ...
Read more : Winter War Volunteers, Finland. | Views : 217 | Replies : 3

E W Sheppard Military Records

I'm trying to find out more about my uncle, Edward William Sheppard, who served in World War 2 and was believed to have been detained in a Nazi Prisoner of War Camp.

I have found his Royal Artillery attestation on Find My Past and this matches his regiment number. But I can't find any other records for him and don't understand the added pencil number or the transfer comment written in red.

Military records are ...
Read more : E W Sheppard Military Records | Views : 285 | Replies : 5

Army Vet Corp in WW1

William Orbell's WW1 military records show he was with the Army Vet Corp - he'd been a jockey/stable lad for 20 years prior to WW1 so this isn't surprising.

His unit within AVC is listed as "2 Sec, 21st DAC"

Can anyone tell me from this where he will have spent his military career? I know he went to France in September 1915.
Read more : Army Vet Corp in WW1 | Views : 382 | Replies : 3

William George Hibbard

I'm trying to find the service history for William George Hibbard b 1872 in Bray, Berks.
In 1890 aged 18 he joined the Oxfordshire Light Infantry & on the 1891 he was at New Barracks, Alverstoke, Hamps.
Around 1896 he married Annie Beckley - can't find this - it may have been in Dublin
Their 1st child was born in 1897 - Kathleen Hibbard in Dublin; then Edith in 1898 in Gloucs. Her baptism gives ...
Read more : William George Hibbard | Views : 238 | Replies : 4

Great grandfather

Hi,

I’m helping my nephew with his WW1 school project. I have an image of my great grandfather who was in the military during WW1 but can anyone identify which regiment he was in by his cap badge?
Read more : Great grandfather | Views : 348 | Replies : 5

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], eternaeterna

Statistics

Total posts 54171 • Total topics 11132 • Total members 31163