It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:07 pm

News News of Military help

Site map of Military help » Forum : Military help

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Harold John Clark 1st Cambs

According to the Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919 dataset on Ancestry, Harold John Clark of the 1st Cambs was killed in action in Flanders on 26 Sep 1917. I found his medal card but I can't find him anywhere on the CWGC site or on astreetnearyou.org. Is it common that a soldier killed in action on the Western Front is not on any memorial and apparently has no war grave?
Read more : Harold John Clark 1st Cambs | Views : 77 | Replies : 2

Regiment needed Coleraine 1800s

Roderick Kane

Can't find any details of service in Army at National Archives without knowing Regiment.

His daughter Ann (also known as Nancy or Annie) Kane's marriage certificate (Killowen CoI) 12/1/1870 listed her father as Rodger Kane 'Soldier' and mother as Agnes Hemphill.

Nancyc claimed Poor Relief in Glasgow in 1877 and her father was listed as 'Roderick Kean Pensioner deceased'.

Her death certificate (reported by her husband) in 1919 in Glasgow records her father ...
Read more : Regiment needed Coleraine 1800s | Views : 250 | Replies : 14

Bucks Militia c 1790s

One of my chaps served as a substitute in the Bucks Militia and I'd like to know how substitutes were arranged - does anyone know? Was it up to the individual to find a substitute or did the Militia hold a pool of candidates willing to stand sub? Thank you.
Read more : Bucks Militia c 1790s | Views : 167 | Replies : 2

George Alfred Sprigg

Hi
My father was in the Army in WW2, but i have not been able to find any records of his service, and nothing from the attached pictures to find out what regiment he was in. Any help gratefully appreciated. He was living in London at the time and given he was born in 1925 I suspect the pictures are towards the end of WW2. Thanks John
Read more : George Alfred Sprigg | Views : 137 | Replies : 3

Re: Identify WW2 cap badges

Can anyone help identify what my grandad might have done in world war II
Read more : Re: Identify WW2 cap badges | Views : 254 | Replies : 5

Military medals?

So this is an ancestor of mine. However what I’d like to know is - how can I find out if anyone accepted these medals on his behalf as he was killed in 1916 and who had them please? Thank you Image

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Read more : Military medals? | Views : 351 | Replies : 6

WW1 Medical Record

Can anyone decipher my grandfather's medical condition, please. He is the first entry on the page:
Reg No. 34758 D R Owen It doesn't appear to be anything major, as he was admitted on 29th May and discharged on 2nd June but I am curious to know what put him into hospital.
Many thanks.
Read more : WW1 Medical Record | Views : 346 | Replies : 5

Sources for Royal Naval Officers's photos WW1 or earlier

Hi there

I'm trying to locate a picture of Harry Calder, Royal Naval Reserve who was killed in action in 1915 as Commanding Officer of HMY Aries off the coast of Dover.

Prior to WW1 Harry was a First Officer with the Union Castle Line as well as a member of the Navy Reserve.

I know quite a bit about him but would dearly love to find a photo. Can anyone suggest a source or ...
Read more : Sources for Royal Naval Officers's photos WW1 or earlier | Views : 511 | Replies : 1

Sgt William Thomas Henley MGC 19117

Hi

I'm doing a bit of research for a friend. She's trying to find out if the William Thomas Henley that appears on this medal card might be her William Thomas Henley. One piece of information on the card seems promising, eg: having firstly been with Queens Royal Regiment, but without his service record it's difficult to be sure. We've searched on Ancestry, but it looks as if his record was probably one of the ...
Read more : Sgt William Thomas Henley MGC 19117 | Views : 431 | Replies : 5

Charles Stanley Cope and Robert Cope

I am trying to sort out two brothers on my husband's side of the family. Shown below is a family portrait of all eight children, taken about 1917.

Cope family c1917.jpg

Far right is the eldest son, Edward Moseley Cope. I have comprehensive details of his military service and death in 1919. I'm inclined to believe that the children are standing in age order, right to left - I have another ...
Read more : Charles Stanley Cope and Robert Cope | Views : 570 | Replies : 5

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], rolexbuy

Statistics

Total posts 58729 • Total topics 11875 • Total members 32670