It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:29 pm

News News of Military help

Site map of Military help » Forum : Military help

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Sources for Royal Naval Officers's photos WW1 or earlier

Hi there

I'm trying to locate a picture of Harry Calder, Royal Naval Reserve who was killed in action in 1915 as Commanding Officer of HMY Aries off the coast of Dover.

Prior to WW1 Harry was a First Officer with the Union Castle Line as well as a member of the Navy Reserve.

I know quite a bit about him but would dearly love to find a photo. Can anyone suggest a source or ...
Read more : Sources for Royal Naval Officers's photos WW1 or earlier | Views : 50 | Replies : 0

Sgt William Thomas Henley MGC 19117

Hi

I'm doing a bit of research for a friend. She's trying to find out if the William Thomas Henley that appears on this medal card might be her William Thomas Henley. One piece of information on the card seems promising, eg: having firstly been with Queens Royal Regiment, but without his service record it's difficult to be sure. We've searched on Ancestry, but it looks as if his record was probably one of the ...
Read more : Sgt William Thomas Henley MGC 19117 | Views : 181 | Replies : 5

Charles Stanley Cope and Robert Cope

I am trying to sort out two brothers on my husband's side of the family. Shown below is a family portrait of all eight children, taken about 1917.

Cope family c1917.jpg

Far right is the eldest son, Edward Moseley Cope. I have comprehensive details of his military service and death in 1919. I'm inclined to believe that the children are standing in age order, right to left - I have another ...
Read more : Charles Stanley Cope and Robert Cope | Views : 312 | Replies : 5

Help with service record

Hi, I would be grateful if anyone could help me decipher what my Great grandfathers service record means.
Screenshot_2018-10-02-22-58-33.png
Read more : Help with service record | Views : 216 | Replies : 4

George Samwell - Military Deserter 2 Sept 1850 Weedon

I am looking for more information in relation to George William Samwell (Samuel) who was born in 1828 in Daventry in Northamptonshire. I have found very basic details that he was a military deserter on 2 September 1850 in Weedon and would like to find out more about this if possible or where to look?

Thank you in advance.
Read more : George Samwell - Military Deserter 2 Sept 1850 Weedon | Views : 96 | Replies : 1

War Records Help Please!!

Hello,

Im hoping someone out there can help me. Im completely new to this, and seem to have got stuck at the first hurdle!
Im trying to find out my grandads war service records. My autistic son has become fascinated with WW2, and when i told him he was named for my grandad who served he was desperate to find out as much as he could about him.
The problem is Ive ben to ancestry ...
Read more : War Records Help Please!! | Views : 576 | Replies : 4

WW2 RCAF Francis "Frank" Nield (and brothers-in-law?)

Hello,

I'd like some help in tracking the service record of my paternal grandfather Francis Nield, known as "Frank" during World War 2. I know he served in the RCAF in Canada, and his role had something to do with entertainment but I know very little about it. I'd like to know where he served and when, and what ranks/promotions he may have had. I'm unsure if his brothers-in-law James Bennett (married to sister Hazel) ...
Read more : WW2 RCAF Francis "Frank" Nield (and brothers-in-law?) | Views : 156 | Replies : 2

WW11 RAF uniform

Can anyone confirm that the uniform cap with the white flash worn by the chap on the right hand side
signifies bomber command/aircrew please. Many thanks in advance.
Read more : WW11 RAF uniform | Views : 120 | Replies : 1

Resigning/Bought Out of a Commission

Hello Everyone
Is there any way I can find out If someone was bought out of their Army Commission? Was it done and if so how easy was it to do and would there have been any stigma attached?
Family Lore has it that one of the Family was bought out of their commission by another Family member before the commencement of WW2.

Many thanks Sally
Read more : Resigning/Bought Out of a Commission | Views : 320 | Replies : 11

Need help identifying date of uniform.

Looks like could be pre WW1, the lady's fashion suggests late 1890's early 1900's?
Read more : Need help identifying date of uniform. | Views : 258 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 58415 • Total topics 11770 • Total members 32347