It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:39 pm

News News of Military help

Site map of Military help » Forum : Military help

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Octavius G. C. Hacon, Ensign in India.

Octavius Graham Coldham Hacon, 1833-1855, was born in Hackney, London.
Died in Nasirabad, India, (modern day Bangladesh).
Served in the Indian Army as an Ensign under the auspices of the Honorable East India Company.
Can any forum member please help or guide me in discovering more about his service and which Indian Native Infantry Regiment he served in.

Sent from my D2303 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Read more : Octavius G. C. Hacon, Ensign in India. | Views : 138 | Replies : 6

Military Uniform Identification

Can anyone help identify this uniform ? The photographer studio was in Eton.

Thanks,
Kevin.
Read more : Military Uniform Identification | Views : 136 | Replies : 4

WW1 Military career of Herbert Blissett

I'm trying to find military records for Herbert Wilfred Powell Blissett, born Feb 1894 in Berkshire.

The Reading Mercury for 10 June 1916 reports the Wantage Tribunal had exempted him until 15 October 1916, although it gives his name as Herbert William Blissett. His grandson reports he 'joined up late and worked behind the lines with horses'. This would sound right was he was a carter in civillian life.

I am unable to trace either ...
Read more : WW1 Military career of Herbert Blissett | Views : 104 | Replies : 1

Serving GIs in the UK during WW2

Could anyone point me in the direction of where I might be able to find information about American GIs based in Devon during the Second World War. Is there anyway to trace names of soldiers posted here?
Read more : Serving GIs in the UK during WW2 | Views : 202 | Replies : 6

69th Regiment of Foot

I have series of Rolton births that are listed in the British Armed forces register of overseas births and baptisms between 1827 and 1841 to a member of the 69th Regiment of foot. If they all belong to the same family (and I think they do) then their father was Thomas ROLTON who was a paymaster/quartermaster for the regiment

the places of birth range in order from
London 1827
Castlebar (Ireland) 1828
Kinsale (Ireland) 1832 ...
Read more : 69th Regiment of Foot | Views : 427 | Replies : 9

Is his medal the Ashanti medal?

This is my great grandfather Charles Edward Smart (1874-1905). I am struggling to identify his medal and cannot find a feasible service record for him. The most likely appears to be the Ashanti medal from a little known conflict in 1900 called the War of the Golden Stool ( you couldn’t make this up!). Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Read more : Is his medal the Ashanti medal? | Views : 418 | Replies : 17

Research look up required.

Hello all.

Does anybody have a subscription to Fold3 please and wouldn't mind looking up a record for me?

Many thanks

Dan.
Read more : Research look up required. | Views : 144 | Replies : 1

Help to identify this WW1 uniform

This is likely one of my long-lost relatives. That's the good news!!
The bad news - I have no info (at the mo) on him nor no idea what the uniform is. I think the cap badge shows he was in the Royal Naval Air Service. But the chevrons on his sleeves are in a pattern I have never seen before.
Any help would be much appreciated!!
Read more : Help to identify this WW1 uniform | Views : 159 | Replies : 1

Am I missing anything?

I am double checking I have all the details I can find on my 2 x great uncle Jesse Hewis's time in the army from Ancestry and Findmypast (medal roll, medal index card, soldiers effects, soldiers who died in the great war) and a copy of his will from the UK probate site.

Jesse Hewis
Corporal - Royal Berkshire Regiment (3rd battalion)
Number 21685
Enlisted London
Died Dublin 7 November 1918
Received the War and ...
Read more : Am I missing anything? | Views : 642 | Replies : 13

Another record with no info.

Hi guys

I am researching another ancestor my great great grandad George Patrick Conway, I know he served in WW1 he received some sort of head injury unable to find any medical records from war too. I am unable to find any documents to support his time in the war also other than a medical card and a few war medals on find my past with the number SL/6584 but I don't know if these ...
Read more : Another record with no info. | Views : 528 | Replies : 18

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], midshipman

Statistics

Total posts 56441 • Total topics 11484 • Total members 31733