It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:18 pm

News News of Military help

Site map of Military help » Forum : Military help

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Who was W H Lewis?

Having researched all 52 men on the Roll of Honour in our village church I am down to the last few needing identification. 'H Lewis' is proving difficult so can anyone help?

He is listed as H Lewis on the roll but the local press - the North Berks Herald - lists him as W H Lewis, states he is from Chilton, Berkshire (which is how I know it's the same person), that he attested ...
Read more : Who was W H Lewis? | Views : 117 | Replies : 5

boag/townsend/hogg/buack

Hi it is a while since I visited to the board and I appologise to any that have responded earlier - for some reason I did not receive any alerts.

above are a selection of surnames in my tree

hopefully this time...

best wishes
alison
Read more : boag/townsend/hogg/buack | Views : 132 | Replies : 2

Researching WW1 Soldiers? - Errors on IWM site!

If you're researching WW1 soldiers to commemorate the end of the war you'll probably have seen the Imperial War Museum's Lives of the First World War. If so beware as not all the information on it is accurate!

When I first saw it and it required evidence before anything was added to it I was reassured as I hoped that would cut out inaccurate information appearing. How wrong I was.

I am researching a number ...
Read more : Researching WW1 Soldiers? - Errors on IWM site! | Views : 190 | Replies : 4

Did James Fly?

We have found my wife’s grandfather James Walter Harrison b 22 Jan 1894 (Levenshulme, Lancashire) in the Royal Navy registers of Seamen's Services, which shows that on 31st March 1918 he left the Royal Navy with the reason being given as RAF.

We assume that he transferred to the RAF, but have not found his RAF records.

In the Navy he was described as driver, but we have a picture with him sporting wings on ...
Read more : Did James Fly? | Views : 255 | Replies : 4

English equivelent of Scotlands people

my great uncle John Docherty born 12th march 1889, enlisted in the Royal Naval Division, London. Can't find any record of him during the war or if he returned to Scotland after the war. there's no record of him either getting married or dieing in Scotlands people. What's the English equivelent of Scotlands people.
Read more : English equivelent of Scotlands people | Views : 211 | Replies : 2

Help With Identifying Military Uniform

Hi,I would be very grateful if somebody would be able to help with any information on identifying this uniform and may be a possible regiment?

Many thanks for your help

Anna
Read more : Help With Identifying Military Uniform | Views : 211 | Replies : 3

Scottish Military Uniform - identification help required

This is a photo of my ancestor Richard Ray born in 1878. I know he was in the Royal West Surrey Regiment during WW1 but I have been given this photo (original donator not known) which shows him posing in a photographic studio dressed in a Scottish uniform which I haven't identified. Is this is a genuine uniform ? If so, why, as he was in the West Surreys? Could it be some sort of ...
Read more : Scottish Military Uniform - identification help required | Views : 256 | Replies : 5

Did my mysterious great aunt serve in WWI?

Hello fellow family historians!

I'm trying to confirm if my grandmother's aunt Maggie Helena Butler (1893 - 1993) served in some capacity during the First World War. I never met her but according to family stories she was a charming, strong and spirited woman and I've seen photos of her hiking in the mountains and riding a motorcycle from the 1910-1930 period.

I have a copy of a postcard dated 1918 on the back which ...
Read more : Did my mysterious great aunt serve in WWI? | Views : 693 | Replies : 5

Major George Henderson

Trying to find major George Henderson military records he was in royal engineers, he was born Aberdeen
Read more : Major George Henderson | Views : 384 | Replies : 7

army service numbers

I wondered if anyone knows how to get an army service number. I would like to send for my parents army records from the second world war,but to fill in the forms you have to have their service numbers,which I do not have! Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Read more : army service numbers | Views : 254 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], KayFarndon

Statistics

Total posts 55607 • Total topics 11335 • Total members 31455