It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:24 am

News News of Military help

Site map of Military help » Forum : Military help

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Unable to find Robert George Purser in WWII records

I know my grandfather served in the Army in WWII however I cannot find any record of him in Ancestry or Find my Past. He received the Africa Star, Italy Star, Defence Medal and War Medal.

Whilst it might be a slim chance, I was hoping someone might recognise the uniform as I don't even know what regiment he was in or possibly find any information on him.

He was born in 1908 in London ...
Read more : Unable to find Robert George Purser in WWII records | Views : 163 | Replies : 7

John George Mainwaring

John George Mainwaring was born in 1880 in Lincolnshire and in 1897 enlisted with the North Staffordshire Rgt before being transferred to either the 1st or 2nd Grenadier Guards - his papers mention both. He found in the 2nd Boer War and was discharged to the reserves in 1905.

The 1911 census shows him living in Beeston, Nottinghamshire with his wife and daughter. His occupation is listed as Police Constable. The 1939 Register lists him ...
Read more : John George Mainwaring | Views : 357 | Replies : 1

Royal Artillary Help

Hi all

This is my first post and I hope that someone can maybe help me out. I found this old photo, WW2, and would like any background anybody can shed.

The Sgt is my Grandfather Edwin Cooper (Deceased) that's all I know. He never spoke about the war and all I know, from my Grandmother (Deceased) is that he spent time in France and N Africa. That's it. Any info or pointers would be ...
Read more : Royal Artillary Help | Views : 201 | Replies : 7

Flight Sergeant John ANDERSON RAFVR bc1924-1925

Flight Sergeant John ANDERSON (Service No. 1573409) was born in Scotland in 1924 or 1925. On 25 April 1944, he was one of two Air Gunners on a Halifax III Bomber (LK789) from 76 Squadron, on an operation over Karlsruhe, Germany from it's base at RAF Holme-on-Spalding.

Returning from the mission, LK789 was shot down and crashed near Welney, Norfolk. (This is a rural site between Ely and Downham Market.) The pilot and five other ...
Read more : Flight Sergeant John ANDERSON RAFVR bc1924-1925 | Views : 339 | Replies : 12

Military deserters 1876

I am looking for information on what happened to military deserters in the 1870's My great grandmothers first husband deserted in 1876, 4 months after their marriage. She remarried some ten years later as a widow. However I cannot trace him after the reports of his desertion in the Police Gazette. As he handed himself in would the punishment have been more lenient?
He was Edmund Lambert and served from 4/8 1874 as a Gunner, ...
Read more : Military deserters 1876 | Views : 184 | Replies : 2

Royal Naval Division

My Great Uncle John Docherty joined the Royal Naval Division at the beginning of WW1. I've heard they disbanded later on in the war and is it true? Is there any way of finding out it they moved on to other regiments? John Docherty was living in Bellshill at the beginning of the war.
Read more : Royal Naval Division | Views : 167 | Replies : 2

Crimean War 1854 - Mercantile Marine

My 2 x great grandfather, Peter Campbell, was born 1 January 1825 at either Inverary or Tarbet, Argylleshire, Scotland (depending upon the source of the information).

His obituary says that he was engaged in the Mercantile Marine during the Crimean War; and that he entered Balaclava Harbour with the First Transport - transporting troops to the seat of war. He was wounded and sent to hospital where he came under the care of Florence Nightingale. ...
Read more : Crimean War 1854 - Mercantile Marine | Views : 198 | Replies : 2

A strange puzzle

Can anyone help me with a puzzle please?
Walter Charles Feltham enlisted with the 1st Hampshires sometime before World War 1. He appears to have left the army sometime before 1911 but rejoins the regiment at the outbreak of war, attaining the rank of Sergeant. He is Killed in Action on 4th October 1917.
According to the ‘Army Registers of Soldiers Effects’ on Ancestry, his widow receives £34 5s 7d on 8th April 1918. Then, ...
Read more : A strange puzzle | Views : 440 | Replies : 2

Understanding service records

I have downloaded a service record for my great grandfather Charles Smart, North Staffs Regt, army no: 4002. Most of it I understand, but under "correspondance etc after discharge" there are several abbreviations used that baffle me. For example, letters are given reference numbers, such as K46504. Are the full letters available anywhere like TNA?
There are other things such as "DD to OC" and what I presume are standard letters to the man with ...
Read more : Understanding service records | Views : 263 | Replies : 4

Octavius G. C. Hacon, Ensign in India.

Octavius Graham Coldham Hacon, 1833-1855, was born in Hackney, London.
Died in Nasirabad, India, (modern day Bangladesh).
Served in the Indian Army as an Ensign under the auspices of the Honorable East India Company.
Can any forum member please help or guide me in discovering more about his service and which Indian Native Infantry Regiment he served in.

Sent from my D2303 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Read more : Octavius G. C. Hacon, Ensign in India. | Views : 311 | Replies : 6

Login  •  Register

Registered users: AntonyM, Bing [Bot], Fernhilljj2, Google [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 57457 • Total topics 11628 • Total members 32009