It is currently Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:16 am

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Hazelwood maternity hospital

Lesley D was looking for Hazelwood maternity hospital. In my locality there was a Hazelwood maternity hospital. It was in a country house (on site from 1066), which was requisitioned in 1939, for this use and used until 1953. I personnally know a person who was born there. It is now a luxury hotel - Hazelwood Castle Hotel, just outside Leeds, on the way to York. I have no information as to whether it was ...
Read more : Hazelwood maternity hospital | Views : 1465 | Replies : 1

Foreign born Great Great Grandfather

My great great grandfather Benjamin Jackson was born c.1831 in Torun, Prussia . On the 1861-1891 censuses he was a British Subject born in Torun. How can I trace his birth? I believe he was Jewish and may have changed his surname.
Read more : Foreign born Great Great Grandfather | Views : 986 | Replies : 0

Illegitimate Grand Father?

I have finally traced the birth certificate for my husbands grandfather - Hooray. BUT only have the mothers name and address, fathers details are blank. He was born in Greenwich East, London in Dec 1912 and apparently ended up in some sort of Catholic orphanage, presumably because his mother was unmarried and gave him up. Does anyone have any ideas how I can trace which institution he was in? Or how to trace his Mothers ...
Read more : Illegitimate Grand Father? | Views : 2198 | Replies : 5

first names

First time on this and any other forum, so forgive me if this has been asked before. We all know why there are lots of Kylies,Jasons, Keegans, Chelseas etc. around these days but who influenced the naming of Ethel (c1900) - haven't we all got an Aunty and great Aunt Ethel? What were the influences for the two Nimrods in my family (1850s - Elgar? Dickens -as in Bleak House), Squire (1830's Stockport -and there ...
Read more : first names | Views : 9313 | Replies : 36

Grandparent information

I am trying to find if anyone new my grandfather. He was called Thomas John Davies and lived in 8 Riflemans Row, Swansea, Glamorgan.
Read more : Grandparent information | Views : 963 | Replies : 0

Brick walls

I have hit 2 brick walls in my research. The first one is my 3x maternal gt. grandfather, Benton Lucas. I can't find any parish record relating to his baptism, even with professional help. Benton, according to census records, was born c. 1816 in Hockley, Birmingham and lived around that area all of his life. He married Ann Adcock and they had 5 children, Samuel, John, William, Alfred and Urram. His marriage cert. states that ...
Read more : Brick walls | Views : 1497 | Replies : 1

South Africa

Does anyone have any advice on researching relatives in South Africa? I am hoping to do some research online into my Mother's family and was wondering if there are any good websites to use?
Read more : South Africa | Views : 1827 | Replies : 3

JOHN GANGE

Hi,
I am trying to trace my great grandfather JOHN GANGE. The information I already have found out is:-

*I have his Death Certificate stating that he was 52 when he died, and that he died in Bristol Lunatic Asylum from General Paralysis on May 17th 1913. He entered the asylum on 23 May 1911. His occupation was a Railway Carriage Wheel Oiler of Trinity in Bristol.

*I also have his Marriage Certificate from his ...
Read more : JOHN GANGE | Views : 1502 | Replies : 2

DONE THE RESEARCH - NOW WHAT?

Hi

So, you've been researching for years and you want to pull it all together and present it in a logical fashion, so the uninitiated will understand it.

I would be interested to know what other family historians have used to convert your research into a 'tree'.

I have an early 'Family Tree Maker' but my problem is that some family members belong to two or more family lines and I end up with the ...
Read more : DONE THE RESEARCH - NOW WHAT? | Views : 4037 | Replies : 11

JOHN HUMPREY BRIDGMAN

Can anyone out there help me please, a friend of mine who like myself is a realtive, i am a true Bridgman but she is realted to the above. he was at one tiem a consular near Barcenlona, I have been told he died in spain, and on his certificates it is said he was born in Peraune in england, can anyone out there help.

I am also looking for any realtives from Mortoanhampstead with ...
Read more : JOHN HUMPREY BRIDGMAN | Views : 947 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 64171 • Total topics 12754 • Total members 6055