It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:18 am

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Tracing a missing (bastard) child...

Hi All,

I was having a discussion with my Nan at the weekend and she uncovered some surprising and interesting snippets about my family history! Anyway, to cut a long story short, my Great Gran (so my Grandfather's mother) aparently had a child when she was unmarried. I believe that birth certificates have been found for the child, but no other evidence. I need to know how to go about tracing this!

In addition (the ...
Read more : Tracing a missing (bastard) child... | Views : 1663 | Replies : 3

Could you lie to get married without parental consent in 1888?

Does anyone know what documentation a couple would need to get married in 1888? I have a copy of the marriage cert and my great grandmother allegedly was born in 1868 and her maiden name was Dora Steward, her father's name is given as Charles Steward. Trouble is, I've never been able to find her under that name or any variant I can think of, not in the birth records nor in censuses. There is ...
Read more : Could you lie to get married without parental consent in 1888? | Views : 3933 | Replies : 11

Tracing Indian Ancestors... Without Going To London

My granfather is currently researching our family tree and wants to further investigate the Asian side of the family. Unfortunately it would be very hard for him and my gran-mother to visit the Indian Office of the British Library in London.

I was wondering if anyone knows of an online alternative or another possibly more local (South-west) place of information.

Many thanks
Read more : Tracing Indian Ancestors... Without Going To London | Views : 1079 | Replies : 1

Seaton Family Reunion

We had a Seaton Family Reunion yesterday, which linked four branches of the family back together,
they seperated 70 years ago, but up until "Who do you think you are" they slowly were brought back together, until we finally met yesterday at one big reunion of 15 people.

They pored over the tree, had copies and photographs, and all had a story to share

It was a great day, so if others are thinking about, ...
Read more : Seaton Family Reunion | Views : 909 | Replies : 0

Help required please!

I am having problems finding my g.grandfather in records. He is Edmund Mosedale, born 1864 Perlethorpe, Notts. I have found him age 17 on the 1881 census living with his parents and an unemplyed tinman. I have also found him married to Louisa on the 1901 census. According to the Notts FHS they married on 18th October 1886. I wanted to order his birth certificate but can't find him in birth records. Also, where was ...
Read more : Help required please! | Views : 4195 | Replies : 11

marriages

looking for a marriage of my gg grandfather john flatley to margaret boyle in and around 1859 ? kidderminster possibly or they may have been married in county mayo a catholic marriage as far as i know.
also ellen pitt to william flatley kidderminster area in and around 1886 possibly a catholic marriage.
ann
Read more : marriages | Views : 1514 | Replies : 3

forsyth

would love to find out more about john forsyth who married mary wilson in 1859 at Byron Plains near Inverell Australia any connections with Sinclair/Anderson families in Scotland
Read more : forsyth | Views : 844 | Replies : 0

Infantile paralysis (polio)

A second cousin contracted infantile paralysis at his school (along with 3 others, who survived) and, after an illness of only 3 days died - on Christmas Day 1938, aged only 16.

While I know there was no prevention, much less cure, for polio then - does anyone know if it was fairly common then, and how was it transmitted?

Grateful for any info.
Read more : Infantile paralysis (polio) | Views : 2383 | Replies : 4

Suicide

I have the death certificate of an ancestor from Walsall, date of death 11 August 1882, where the cause of death is recorded as 'suicide during a fit of temporary insanity.' The informant is listed as the Coroner for Walsall and it states that an inquest was held on 12 August 1882. How would I go about finding out more about this death? Would it have been reported in the local press?
Read more : Suicide | Views : 1932 | Replies : 4

VULCAN - SPORTS WRITER

Hi
Can anyone tell me about a sports writer in Sheffield, who's pen name was 'Vulcan'. I believe he was a brother of my Grandfather. I don't know if he was attached to Sheffield Football Club or if he was attached to a local newspaper. His name was John Charles Leith and he was born in 1870 and died in 1911.

Any information will be more than I have at the moment and very welcome. ...
Read more : VULCAN - SPORTS WRITER | Views : 1128 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Feedfetcher

Statistics

Total posts 63702 • Total topics 12681 • Total members 6094