It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:28 pm

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Newspaper help! Murder articles

Dear all,

I have recently come across a Murderer in my family history. His name was John Hewitt and he was hung at Stafford Gaol on 15th August 1893. He was 19 years of age!

He shot William Masfen a farmer's son who caught him poaching in Norton Canes, Staffordshire.

I have found links to this on the internet but it does not really give much information other than what I have written above. It ...
Read more : Newspaper help! Murder articles | Views : 2268 | Replies : 5

SMITHS! Easy to trace?

Dear All

I have been researching my family tree for quite sometime now and have done really really well with my mom's side of the family however have struggled with my dad's.

Unfortunately, he is a Smith. my Grandfather was William Charles Smith, his father was William Charles Smith and his father was William Smith. This is where my research ends. I have located my GGG Grandfathers grave in Nether Whitacre and have traced him ...
Read more : SMITHS! Easy to trace? | Views : 1203 | Replies : 1

Govanni Sassione

Hello trying to trace Govanni Sassione. I can't find any info on him. I know he had to sons, one in 1852 in Brighton, Sussex and 1856 Somerset, England.
Read more : Govanni Sassione | Views : 858 | Replies : 0

Mabel Davies

Hi,

I'm loking for Mabels mothers Maiden Name I have only got a marriage name of Davies, the fathers name is Thomas John Davies who was born in 1878. Mabel Davies was baptised on 12th November 1905. Can anyone shed some light on the mothers Maiden Name.

Colin
Read more : Mabel Davies | Views : 1282 | Replies : 1

lookup

I would like to find out who was living at 27 Grenfell Town, Llansamlet, Swansea, Glamorgan between 1904 and 1906 if any can find out would be most helpful.
Read more : lookup | Views : 882 | Replies : 0

Coffin in handy

Help. I've been researching my wifes grandfathers death and on a copy of the Poplar Mortuary Register it says under "the manner removed" - "coffin in handy". Any readers any idea what this means?

Could it be that the coffin was transported to the cemetery on a handcart? Was the person involved employed by the undertaker?

Heres hoping

Martin
Read more : Coffin in handy | Views : 2086 | Replies : 5

parish records

On looking through parish records for one of my ancestors I found an entry stating that he was "unbur" which I presume means unburied. The death was in 1839 and I haven't been able to find an entry of the death on Find My Past or any other free BMD websites. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?
Read more : parish records | Views : 1499 | Replies : 2

grandparents

Hi,

I have got both of my grandparents death certificates and would like to get hold of their marriage certificate is there any way of doing this. If someone could give me a point in the right direction.

Once I can get hold of it I can try and get their birth certificates.
Read more : grandparents | Views : 927 | Replies : 1

Transported Bullocks

Greetings All!

Through DNA testing it has been found that my line of Bullocks in the States are from Salop. I've found two Bullocks from Salop that were transported to the Colonies. I'm trying to find out as much as I can about the individuals but have not came up with much information. Abraham transported 1721 and Edmund transported 1763.

Read more : Transported Bullocks | Views : 825 | Replies : 0

How has my suname appeared in America?

My maiden name was Windless, a unique surname I have been led to believe. I have been able to link 99% of English Windless's to my tree. On checking ancestry I find a large number of Windless's in the American south, on further investigation I found mention of one in the American civil war and looking on face book I have found most appear to be of African descent. Could this mean that in the ...
Read more : How has my suname appeared in America? | Views : 1129 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Amazinggrace, Bing [Bot], gardener48, Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Norfolk Nan, Sucher

Statistics

Total posts 63354 • Total topics 12628 • Total members 6152