It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:43 am

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Most exciting moment in your research?

I have had several exciting moments in the course of my family history research in the last eighteen months, but one incident was hard to beat.

I knew very little about my mother's family as her mother died when she was born, so I started from a nil base. I managed to trace back to my mother's gg grandfather, James Burgess in Portland Dorset. I found from a census that he was a prison warder. ...
Read more : Most exciting moment in your research? | Views : 1149 | Replies : 0

Have You Discovered Something Unexpected In Your Research?

During your research, have you discovered a family member that you are proud of or simply found something in your investigation that was unexpected?

Did your research take you to places you'd never dreamed of?

Did you have to locate unusual records to find what you were looking for?

If so, email your discoveries to Claire Vaughan (ClaireVaughan@bbcmagazinesbristol.com) and your stories could be featured in the magazine!
Read more : Have You Discovered Something Unexpected In Your Research? | Views : 935 | Replies : 1

John Boon

I wonder if anybody can help with my problem, I have a John Boon born about 1832 in Peterborough ? . I have his marriage certificate which says his father was James Boon Candle Maker. He was married to Rhoda Miller from Bury St Edmunds her father was Philip Miller. Now my problem is trying to trace Johns family I though I had them when going through Rhoda's family she had a sister living in ...
Read more : John Boon | Views : 6274 | Replies : 5

Docklands ancestors - parish register cd's

Just wondered if anyone has used any of the cd's that parishregister.com has to offer. I am interested in St Mary Newington,St Mary Rotherhithe and St Mary Mag Bermondsey and wondered if they are worth purchasing as it is difficult for me to get to view registers with an active 2 year old and i am a distance away from the registers. I'd be very interested on what anyone thinks and if they are ...
Read more : Docklands ancestors - parish register cd's | Views : 1787 | Replies : 2

Samuel Burr

I have not been able to find a any information or a marriage for my husband's 3x great grandfather Samuel Burr. Samuel was born 3 Jan 1802 (from family records only, no proof) in England. He married Sarah Bridgens d/o Richard and Elizabeth Bridgens about 1830. Their first born child William was born Dec 4, 1831 and baptised in St. John the Evangelist Church in Lambeth, Surrey in Jan 1832. The family left England for ...
Read more : Samuel Burr | Views : 1052 | Replies : 0

Johan Anderson b ABT 1844 Sweden -d 1893 New Zealand

Hi everyone,

I'm really hoping you can help as this has stonewalled my family for a long time.

Johan Anderson arrived in New Zealand in 1872. He could have come on the PALMERSTON which left from Hamburg on 12.12.1872 and arrived in Port Chalmers, Dunedin, NZ on 12.12. 1872. There is an assisted passenger listed on the ship manifest, Anderson, Anders aged 27 Labourer. I don't know whether it's him or not. At his death, ...
Read more : Johan Anderson b ABT 1844 Sweden -d 1893 New Zealand | Views : 1780 | Replies : 1

Australian Ancestors

I am trying to trace Joseph, Harriet, Francis (Frank), Mary and David Eaton's family or descendants. They were from Liverpool, England and emigrated to Australia. I have found them on the ships lists (on Ancestry.co.uk). All except Frank went over to Brisbane, Queensland November 1947 on a ship called the Ormonde. Frank went over on a ship called the Strathallan in June 1939

I have also found Harriet and David's application for Assisted passages ...
Read more : Australian Ancestors | Views : 1966 | Replies : 6

LIVING ON OWN MEANS

CAN ANYONE HELP
DURING TRACING MY ANCESTORS I HAVE COME ACCROSS ''LIVING ON OWN MEANS'' IN THE PROFESSION/OCCUPATION ON THE CENSUS. THIS WAS FOR AN ANNE YEM ON THE 1901 CENSUS SHE WAS AGED 74 IN THE PARISH OF WESTDEAN LYDBROOK GLOCESTERSHIRE, ON AN EARLIER CENSUS ''1851'' HER HUSBAND STEPHEN IS REGISTERED AS A COLLIER WHILST OTHERS ARE REGISTERED AS COAL MINERS. COULD THIS MEAN THAT STEPHEN YEM WAS EITHER IN THE MANAGEMENT OR OWNER ...
Read more : LIVING ON OWN MEANS | Views : 3357 | Replies : 5

Court records query

I am looking into an ancestor who I'm told pursued a court case against the man she claimed was the father of her child. She lost the case. I'm wondering if there would be a record somewhere of the court case and if it is likely that this record would be available. It was in the 1930's so I suppose it may not be available if there is a record of it but I would ...
Read more : Court records query | Views : 1123 | Replies : 2

Family Tree 2008

Hi Everyone
'New boy' Vic here .
I have just been reading Iss 2 Pg 86, regarding F.T. 2008 and wonder if anyone can tell me:
WHICH charts and reports are NOW available compared with past versions, please.
This is my first time on any Forum so I hope 'I've done it right'
GREAT MAG
Cheers Vic
Read more : Family Tree 2008 | Views : 927 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 63731 • Total topics 12685 • Total members 6093