It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:49 am

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Post WW2 employment and training for returning forces Post WW2 employment and training for returning forces

Does anyone have any information about what happened to returning servicemen and women after the 2nd World War, in terms of training for employment? My dad was a Royal Marine,only 22 when the war finished. He trained in London to be a bricklayer and kept his exercise books from his bricklaying training and was very proud of them.
I would like to find out where/how he would have trained. I'm also interested in whether there ...
Read more : Post WW2 employment and training for returning forces | Views : 1731 | Replies : 3

Change of family name! Change of family name!

My grandmother's birth certificate shows her as May Hiscock, father's name Jonas Hiscock (profession Cooper Journeyman), mother's name as Charlotte Hiscock formerly Scutts born in Strood, Rochester Kent on 28th February 1890.

Her Marriage certificate dated 30th December 1915, when she married Charles Orpin, shows her as May Hunt, spinster, father's name Jonah Hunt, profession Cooper.

I have copies of both these certificates - the birth certificate is one completed in January 1950 for National ...
Read more : Change of family name! | Views : 1907 | Replies : 5

Susan COE - mar.1851

Does anyone have access to the PRs for Elsworth in Cambridgeshire?
Susan MABBITT m John COE dec qtr 1843. By 1851 census she is a widow - I think he dies Dec. qtr 1848, reg dist Caxton etc - which includes parish of Elsworth. There is a marriage registered for Susan COE Sept qtr 1851, again Caxton. According to FreeBMD possible suitors were James or John MARTIN, John Payne SMITH or Thomas SURKISS.

I'm interested ...
Read more : Susan COE - mar.1851 | Views : 2483 | Replies : 3

john daniel murrell

hi i have been stumped for years trying to find john daniel murrells birth. john daniel murrell died in australia in1875 at borambola n.s.w. on his death certificate it said he was born in sydney australia an that his fathers name was john who was a clerk but i have searched n.s.w.birth death marriages an there is no john murrell born 1830-1835 as his cert says he died age 45 years . he married caroline ...
Read more : john daniel murrell | Views : 4110 | Replies : 2

HOW DO I OBTAIN DETAILS OF AN INQUEST?

Elinah Bendelow was born in 1928 and the family story went that she died "running out of the Tatler Cinema, hitting her head on a lamppost, upon which she died because she had a paper thin skull".

I have obtained the death certificate and Elinah was a 15 year old boy, in fact the assistant cinema operator of the Tatler Cinema. As is usual with family stories handed down there has proved to be a ...
Read more : HOW DO I OBTAIN DETAILS OF AN INQUEST? | Views : 892 | Replies : 3

Which site do you subscribe to and why?

Hi all,

I have done a free trial on ancestry, findyourpast an geneologist. Which one do you subscribe to and what is the difference between them? Do hey have the same records as I saw in the news findyourpast has exclusive criminal records out today.

MissDances
Read more : Which site do you subscribe to and why? | Views : 2856 | Replies : 13

Irish Ancestor playing HIDE AND SEEK

Hello,

Here is what i know. My Grandfather James May is according to the 1911 Census was born in Mayo, Ireland 1849 / 50. On his Marriage Certificate of 1875 (Sheffield England to Mary Dunn) his father is listed as being Patrick May (Deceased). I have looked through as many records as i can but i cannot find any trace of James before 1881. I am at a loss now, please help if you can. ...
Read more : Irish Ancestor playing HIDE AND SEEK | Views : 867 | Replies : 5

Bigamy? What constitues a legal marriage?

My Great-Grandmother married my Great-Grandfather in 1886. However, the only evidence I can find for this is the record of banns. I can find no marriage certificate. They later had two children. Was this marriage legal or would it needed to have been finalised somehow?

Because she later (1902) married again - this time with a marriage certificate. At the time my G.Grandfather was still alive, but in a mental hospital.

So, was great-grandma a ...
Read more : Bigamy? What constitues a legal marriage? | Views : 606 | Replies : 4

What happened to my ancestor?

Hi there,

really hoping someone can help! My greatgrandmother Annie Wilton was born in 1898 in Dowlais, glamorgan and on the birth certificate the only parent listed is Elizabeth Gertrude Wilton bor in 1874, meaning she was born out of wedlock. In the 1901 census I can not find either elizabeth or Annie and in the 1911 census Annie is living with her uncle Jessie Wilton and his wife Elizabeth Wilton and children. I can ...
Read more : What happened to my ancestor? | Views : 4297 | Replies : 8

Total block on the Tyrell family.

I have been trying to trace my mothers family tree and have had some success with the Baker side of her family, however her maternal side of Tyrell is proving near impossible. Mother (Murial Grace Baker) is approaching 100 this May and I dearly would like to collect more information to present to her.
She thinks that her mother Grace Lydia was, in some way adopted, or even the father paid for her upkeep until ...
Read more : Total block on the Tyrell family. | Views : 882 | Replies : 4

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 48564 • Total topics 9145 • Total members 30221