It is currently Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:51 am

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Henry Stevens Andrews Henry Stevens Andrews

Hi,
I'm trying to trace the death of my 3x grt grandfather Henry Stevens Andrews.
He was born in 1857 in Bulford, Wiltshire to parents Michael Stevens and Eliza Andrews.
He married my 3x grt grandmother Mary Jane Stevens in 1881 in West Cholderton, Wiltshire.
They had two children Emma Eliza Stevens Andrews and Thomas Andrews.
In the 1881 census he was living with Mary Jane in Shipton Bellinger, Hampshire by 1891 census Mary Jane ...
Read more : Henry Stevens Andrews | Views : 1327 | Replies : 3

Alex/Alexander Gibb Dad i've never met.

Hi all,

I'm new here i'm also a bit blonde so bear with me!

I am looking for my dad Alexander Gibb (known as Alex) he's from Glasgow.I have very limited information so i seem to have hit a brick wall.

Here is what i know...

He met my mum in late 1984 (Karen Thomson aged 24 at the time) he had a job as a bus driver for a Glasgow company (Strathclyde Buses at ...
Read more : Alex/Alexander Gibb Dad i've never met. | Views : 1197 | Replies : 2

TRUSLOW/SMITH

I have traced my maternal grandfather's family back to his marriage in 1803. His name was Thomas Truslow and he married a Mary Smith at St. Brides, London 6/8/1803. These are the only details given at the time of the marriage.

I now have two brick walls.

1) I cannot find birth details for Thomas. I have his death certificate which states he died 10/6/1843 aged 62yrs. 6mths. Any suggestions for finding his birth details? ...
Read more : TRUSLOW/SMITH | Views : 688 | Replies : 7

TRUSLOW/SMITH

I have traced my maternal grandfather's family back to his marriage in 1803. His name was Thomas Truslow and he married a Mary Smith at St. Brides, London 6/8/1803. These are the only details given at the time of the marriage.

I now have two brick walls.

1) I cannot find birth details for Thomas. I have his death certificate which states he died 10/6/1843 aged 62yrs. 6mths. Any suggestions for finding his birth details? ...
Read more : TRUSLOW/SMITH | Views : 240 | Replies : 2

Bridget Wade

I'm trying to track down the birth certificate of my great grandmother, Bridget Wade.

I'm using the scotlands people website and so far I have found:
She married my great grandfather, Richard McAvinia, on 30th December 1905 at St. Josephs Church in the Milton area of Glasgow when she was age 22, which puts her birth sometime around 1883. Her parents are listed as Thomas Wade, farm labourer (deceased) and Mary Wade nee Carroll (deceased) ...
Read more : Bridget Wade | Views : 347 | Replies : 2

NATHANIEL BURGE

I have never used this site before so | apologise beforehand if I do anything wrong.I have traced our family history backto around 1744 and just cannot find the birth any where of Nathaniel Burge who died in 1808 aged 64 at Sampford Arundel, Somerset. In 1767 he married Mary Gillard at St Michael's church in Milverton Somerset, and they had five children four of whom died and one child and his wife just disappeared ...
Read more : NATHANIEL BURGE | Views : 404 | Replies : 0

Tom Currie - can't find death. Help needed?

My query is that I have not been able to find the death of my great-grandfather Tom Mallett Currie (born 1859 Kineton, Warwickshire).

I have found the following information on the Censuses about him:

Born 1859 Kineton, Warwickshire (Tom Mallett Curry on birth certificate)

CENSUSES
1861 age 1 Kineton, Warwick Road Tom Mallette Currie (servant’s son)
1871 age 12 Kineton, St Peters, Tom Mallit Curry (grandson)
1881 age 20 8,Bradmore Terrace, Hammersmith, Thos. Currie, Horsekeeper ...
Read more : Tom Currie - can't find death. Help needed? | Views : 1497 | Replies : 4

Ernest Bradley's birth record

I am facing, what is to me, an insurmountable brick wall !
I am trying to find documentary proof of the birth of my great grand father Ernest Joseph Bradley born sometime in the last quarter of 1846 in or about Marylebone or St John's Wood . Ernest died, too young, at age 39 in Soho on 25th March 1884, I have this death cert.
He was found by his brother, Dudley Frederick ...
Read more : Ernest Bradley's birth record | Views : 1629 | Replies : 9

Emily Hunter (Nee Billington)

Emily Hunter (Nee Billington)
My Great Grandfather Walter Billington’s only sister and sibling to survive to adulthood.
Born Manchester ( Possibly Newton Neath/Salford area) abt 1866.
Moved to Sheffield (1871 census)and then Hull (1881 , 1891 , 1901 )with family etc.
Married James Henry Hunter in Hull in 1890. ( a Leed Merchant Clerk in 1891 and a Dock Foreman (Grain) by 1901)
To 1901 , they had 4 children – all born in Hull. ...
Read more : Emily Hunter (Nee Billington) | Views : 592 | Replies : 2

Probate information query

Looking at Ancestry`s National Probate Calendar information for 1873 - all of the entries say "Effects UNDER £ - then varying amounts of money" I have asked lots of people and no-one can tell me what this means. The entry I am most interested in says "Effects under £450". I`d like to know roughly how much this person actually left.
By the 1880s the information changes to "Personal Estate £ s d- then a more ...
Read more : Probate information query | Views : 489 | Replies : 3

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, Jethro Tull, MSN [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 38170 • Total topics 7818 • Total members 27525