It is currently Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:51 pm

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Parmiter/Parmeter etc

Hello Everyone

My husband is descended from the Parmiter Family of Dorset through his Mother's maternal line.

The Family dates from the late 1500s in the area, and moved from the tailoring/shoe making industry to farming. By the end of the 1800s most of them had moved out of Dorset to neighbouring counties.

Dating from the same period there was also a large number of Parmiters in the Suffolk/ East Anglia area with the famous ...
Read more : Parmiter/Parmeter etc | Views : 886 | Replies : 2

Coroner's inquest reports Coroner's inquest reports

My Great grandfather died in 1897 after a fall from a church tower while working, I have found from the death certificate that an inquest was held on 14 October 1897. Is it possible to get a copy of the inquest report? and Where is the best place to start looking for this report?

Joe :?
Read more : Coroner's inquest reports | Views : 446 | Replies : 1

Searching Irish Church Records and others Searching Irish Church Records and others

I have just finished viewing a 40 min tutorial on searching Irish church records.

Its free for all and can be found in the learning section of https://familysearch.org/

There are several different tutorials - all free - and very helpful.

This site is also great for BMD Parish Records from around the world.

Not as user friendly as some sites but once you get the hang of the site its plain sailing.

They also give ...
Read more : Searching Irish Church Records and others | Views : 316 | Replies : 0

Smallpox Burials in London, 1871

I am interested in tracing the place where Frederick Joseph Ruffle (1839-1871) is buried.
From the certified copy of the entry of death, I have the following information him. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Source: General Register Office. Certified Copy of an Entry of Death. Registration District: Hampstead. 1871 Death in the Subdistrict of Hampstead in the County of Middlesex. No. 171. Application Number 1685360-1. DYC429787.
When & Where Died: Twenty-sixth January 1871. Smallpox Hospital. ...
Read more : Smallpox Burials in London, 1871 | Views : 695 | Replies : 0

CANADA OCEAN ARRIVALS 1919 - 1924

I am seeking a passenger ALBERT EDWARD LUMLEY-HOLMES, who travelled to Canada (and back to England) during this period. I believe the record can be viewed with an Ancestry Woldwide Membership. If any one has access to this record (or his travel in either direction) I would be most grateful to have a copy of the relevant page(s). He was a member of the Scots Guard Band and we think the band went on a ...
Read more : CANADA OCEAN ARRIVALS 1919 - 1924 | Views : 1280 | Replies : 5

IS IT UNUSUAL TO FIND A FEMALE GAMEKEEPER? IS IT UNUSUAL TO FIND A FEMALE GAMEKEEPER?

My 3 x Great Grandmother was Ann SWAN nee HAMMOND. She was born in about 1774-1775, probably in Gloucestershire. She married in the village of Temple Guiting, east of Cheltenham in 1794, and had 8 children between 1794 and 1811.

Ann's husband, John SWAN, was apparently a Groom, as were at least 2 of her sons, and domestic service was the main occupational theme for the whole family. Several moved up to London or the ...
Read more : IS IT UNUSUAL TO FIND A FEMALE GAMEKEEPER? | Views : 1652 | Replies : 5

Marriage between Thomas Raymond and Emily Maud Buckland

Hello. I'm hoping for some help and/or inspiration! I have a birth certificate for Eileen Peggy Victoria Raymond who was born on the 18th August 1926 in Hammersmith, London, to Thomas Raymond and Emily Maud Raymond formerly Buckland. Thomas was a bricklayer journeyman.

I am now trying to locate a marriage record for Thomas and Emily. I have tried Ancestry, Findmypast, Familysearch and Freebmd as well as the non-conformist records on Ancestry and BMDregisters and ...
Read more : Marriage between Thomas Raymond and Emily Maud Buckland | Views : 1026 | Replies : 3

Rachel Ford - Suffolk

I'm trying to find out more information regarding my 4x Great-grandmother Rachel Ford b: 1833. I know that she had a son John Herbert Ford (my 3x great-grandfather) and that there is no father listed on the birth certificate, but unfortunately I have been unable to find a record of Rachel after this. John was born in 1865 and in the 1871 census he is listed with his grandparents and uncles. Any help would be ...
Read more : Rachel Ford - Suffolk | Views : 1180 | Replies : 5

Tracing divorces late 1700s and early 1800s

Would be very grateful if anyone could give information on this subject. I have several ancestors who divorced around this time and I don't know how to find divorce records. Thanks
Read more : Tracing divorces late 1700s and early 1800s | Views : 1680 | Replies : 8

BURTON - Framfield, Sussex

Samuel Burton, b. 1818 migrated to NSW as a Bounty migrant on the "Lady Raffles" in 1839. His parents were William and Charity Burton (nee Ralph). There is a Wesleyan Circuit baptism for Samuel 9 Nov 1818. (His birth - 16 Oct 1818 - and baptism dates and transposed in the register).

The 1841 census for Framfield has the family:
William Burton, 50, farmer
Charity Burton, 48
Susanna Burton, 14
Elizabeth Burton, 11
Sarah Burton, ...
Read more : BURTON - Framfield, Sussex | Views : 1342 | Replies : 6

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 43729 • Total topics 8673 • Total members 29365