It is currently Tue May 03, 2016 9:48 am

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Missing Langsdons

My family tree has a Frederick Langsdon b1849 d1921 and all certs and census show him to be born in either Bath or Bristol. His wedding certificate ( to Mary Ann Paul in 1869)shows his father as Thomas Langsdon deceased. We cannot find any trace of Thomas Langsdon either being born,marrying, in a census, or dying. Although Frederick puts his age as 21 in 1871 we cannot find a census return for him or his ...
Read more : Missing Langsdons | Views : 811 | Replies : 4

Special Police Constables

My Mum was told by her Dad that her Grandfather was a Special Police Constable and was at the opening off Immingham Docks in 1912 (as a Special) where he got to see the King & Queen (they were opening the docks).
I would like to learn more about if my great grandfather was a Special Police Constable and I don't know where to start? Would there be a record for my great grandfather and ...
Read more : Special Police Constables | Views : 1396 | Replies : 5

Could you help me trace John William Robinson?

I am new to researching my family history and am really struggling to trace back my ancestors through one branch of my tree, from John William Robinson.

The facts I know are that he married Mary Blake in Buckinghamshire in 1936. I have a copy of the marriage certificate, which tells me that he was living in Beckenham in Kent at the time of the marriage (presumably in service), and that his father was William ...
Read more : Could you help me trace John William Robinson? | Views : 2623 | Replies : 12

Problems with 1911 on Ancestry

Is anyone experiencing problems with the 1911 census on Ancestry since the medical information update went live on 2nd January 2012? Even though I have the earlier images and know exact details of names etc., everytime I search I either get no information or results for mainly the London area. My interest is with people in Hampshire, Wiltshire and Dorset. The images are there for browsing, but that is more time consuming than doing a ...
Read more : Problems with 1911 on Ancestry | Views : 793 | Replies : 4

William Curtis c1868

I am trying to find my grandfathers birth certificate details. He appears on all census returns from 1871 to 1911, most census forms show his birth place as Droxford, Hampshire.

He married Beatrice Lily Gill 6 November 1893 in Tonbridge, Kent. He first appears on the 1881 census living in Tonbridge, kent, on the 1871 census he lived at St Thomas, Wiltshire.

His parents are recorded on the 1871 census as: Father - William Curtis ...
Read more : William Curtis c1868 | Views : 2780 | Replies : 9

John Peter Cardiff Watson

I am trying to find out what happened to my grandfather, John Peter Cardiff Watson, who I never knew. He was born in Co. Wexford in January 1880. I can trace him back the way but am unable to locate him beyond 1960 returning with his second wife, Winifred, from India via S Africa. He married my Granny Norah Hyslop in 1918 and divorced in 1925. I can locate all his travels back to the ...
Read more : John Peter Cardiff Watson | Views : 1468 | Replies : 4

Merab Sugden

I have a Thomas Talbot born 1813 Durham who marries a MERAB SUGDEN
according to 1861. and 1871 census returns she is born 1811 in Low Moor/Leeks Low Moor Yorkshire however 1841. and 1851 census returns say she was born in Durham.
I have checked Familysearch but there is no record on that site, I have also checked with Ancestry.Co.UK without success
There are only 2 entries for Sugden for Durham It is ...
Read more : Merab Sugden | Views : 798 | Replies : 2

Whiteleys Department Store, London

Happy New Year everyone.

I have just found out that my great-aunt worked in Whiteleys Department Store some time between 1911 - the 1950s.

Whiteleys was bought by Selfridges in 1927. I was wondering if Selfridges might have her employment records so was wondering if anyone else has been able to obtain similar information.

Also, does anyone have ancestors who also worked in the same store or who might have worked there themselves who might ...
Read more : Whiteleys Department Store, London | Views : 374 | Replies : 0

Robert Liddle

I am trying to find details of the birth of my wife's Grandfather.
We have his marriage and death certificates.
His name is Robert Liddle.He was married in Elham Kent 6 June 1904 to Eleanor Scott.(we have Eleanor's death certificate from Australia which states previously married to Robert).His age on the marriage certificate is given as 37 which makes birth about 1867.His father's name is given as Thomas Liddle.
His death certificate is dated 24 ...
Read more : Robert Liddle | Views : 1882 | Replies : 4

Hegarty mystery of burial

Hello, I am having a bit of bother finding the grave of my grandfather. I have varying bits of information from relatives but nothing concrete and really don't know where to turn in order to gain concrete evidence of his details.
FACT - he lived in Cobh (Queenstown), Co. Cork. FACT - he served in the royal navy and was commissioned out with TB

The following details are sketchy - my father's marriage cert names ...
Read more : Hegarty mystery of burial | Views : 848 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Registered users: AdrianB38, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 42293 • Total topics 8455 • Total members 28944