It is currently Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:24 pm

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

job description help- terracotta moulder

Hello, newbie here, I have found a relative in the 1871 census who is listed as a terracotta moulder. Does anyone have any further information or know where I can find this to help me understand this job and its affects on daily life further?

Many thanks
Read more : job description help- terracotta moulder | Views : 838 | Replies : 3

Christie family

I have hit a brick wall with my great great grandparents! The first trace I find of them is their marriage in Truro, Cornwall (Bethesda Chapel) on June 13th 1823. Record says John Christoe (should be Christie), sojourner and Elizabeth Seaton, sojourner married in this church by banns.
They stayed in Truro where their first two children - John b. 1824 and Robert b. 1825 and then must have gone to Penryn as Mary (1829) ...
Read more : Christie family | Views : 939 | Replies : 2

census records show same family in usa and uk

Hi all

I have found a series of census records that show my ancestors in both England and USA at the same times. They show on the England census even after they immigrated to USA. I am pretty confident that it is the same family but just cant understand why they are on and off the censuses and in two places on some occasions they were all there and other times only some of them. ...
Read more : census records show same family in usa and uk | Views : 784 | Replies : 4

George Cooper - Licensed Victualler

I have been trying to research my great grandfather George Cooper. All I have is the birth certificate of his son Frederick Albert (B 1882 in Walworth London). It gives lots of information like where he lives (286 Walworth Road), his occupation (licensed victualler) and his wife's, Elizabeth previous name (Foster) but I cannot, partly due to the common name perhaps, find any census, birth, marriage or death information on him.
All I have is ...
Read more : George Cooper - Licensed Victualler | Views : 3883 | Replies : 5

Private George Victor Hall - Wiltshire Regiment

Help!

My great uncle, George Victor Hall, was born at Etchilhampton, Wiltshire on 22nd April 1887 and, although I never knew him, he was always known as Uncle Vic.

He joined the Wiltshire Regiment on 2nd February 1904 and his number was 6734 but was only known as Victor Hall according to his "Small Book" (Army Form B50) and the Roll of Honour in Etchilhampton Church.

However, he remains something of a mystery and I'm ...
Read more : Private George Victor Hall - Wiltshire Regiment | Views : 2657 | Replies : 7

Help with Riley's of Chelsea

HI, I am researching the family of my great Grandad Richard Albert Phelps born in Chelsea in 1885. i can find no birth certificate at all for him, but can for his brother born a year later. Their Mum was Margaret Riley born in Chelsea and her parents (I think) were Johanna Riley and Patrick Riley both born in Ireland (Cork I think).

Many thanks for any advice.

Gail

P.S. Not having much luck either, ...
Read more : Help with Riley's of Chelsea | Views : 1288 | Replies : 2

SCHOOL SCAVENGER ?

Researching/transcribing minutes of the board of governors for a primary school, there is a reference in 1920 to the 'school scavenger'. :| I would be delighted to know if anyone else has come across this as an occupation; searches in the usual occupation websites prove fruitless. His must have been an essential role as school finances were very tight at the time. The Minutes record that the ...
Read more : SCHOOL SCAVENGER ? | Views : 660 | Replies : 2

Henry Augustus Smith

Hi, can anyone please help me find where my great-great grandfather, Henry Augustus SMITH was born and the names of his parents and any siblings? The only information I have is that he may have been born in Somerset, England and emigrated to South Australia possibly in 1851 on the ship "Hydaspes". He married Mary AMBER in SA on 7 June 1854 at St George's Church, Woodforde. He was 72 when he died on 16 ...
Read more : Henry Augustus Smith | Views : 847 | Replies : 2

Ellen Eptlett - missing from the 1911 census

Ellen Eptlett (nee Foster) born about 1876 Lancashire does not appear to be on the 1911 census. She is alive at the time of the census, as she remarries later that same year. She may be in an institution, as her two sons were boarding at a Poor Law School in Fulwood Lancashire (I found them mistranscribed on the census).
I have copies of her sons' school admission records which clearly state "mother in the ...
Read more : Ellen Eptlett - missing from the 1911 census | Views : 833 | Replies : 2

missing family on 1851 census & can't find marriage

I have been trying for years to find the marriage of my 3xgrt Grandad's marriage and also him with his family on the 1851 census for Durham with no luck.

My 2x Great GRandad was born in WEst Cornforth Durham November 1850, his name was John Beresford (there are many variations of the surname spelling and I found him on Free BMD under Berrousford)
his father also John and mother Jane (nee' Potts)

I cannot ...
Read more : missing family on 1851 census & can't find marriage | Views : 1174 | Replies : 4

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], lojo41, Siann, Yahoo [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 47377 • Total topics 8965 • Total members 29990