It is currently Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:51 pm

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Mystery name..

Hello,
On the 1901 census, my great grandmother is shown living with her parents, Richard and Mary Anne and the rest of the Harrison family( shown as Hewson by the transcriber), living in Canning Town, West Ham. However, my great gran Alice Maria Harrison is shown as Alice Maria "TOOVEY", married? Occupation: Music Hall Artiste (Singer). The occupation is correct, but there is no record or family knowledge of Alice marrying a TOOVEY. Alice married ...
Read more : Mystery name.. | Views : 653 | Replies : 2

London Employer - John Sinclair Downham

I would like help to discover who employed John Sinclair Downham, b: 1880, Wigan; spent much of his working life in Argentina as a Timekeeper. He travelled back and forth and this can be tracked on the shipping lists. On 26th April 1926 returning to UK he gave his address as - 14 St George St, Westminster, London, which I hope is the address of his employer. This address has recently been renovated and has ...
Read more : London Employer - John Sinclair Downham | Views : 1146 | Replies : 3

Ireland & America - running out of ideas

My great grandfather Patrick Smyth & his 3 brothers Daniel, MIchael & James were brought up in the 1850s on a farm at Artabrackagh, Co Armagh, Ireland. My great grandfather came to England (where he anglicized the spelling of his surname to Smith) whilst his brother Daniel settled & died in Connecticut, USA (from information my late gran told us). We don't know what happened to the other brothers.

Having researched to try to find ...
Read more : Ireland & America - running out of ideas | Views : 1914 | Replies : 9

Oakley, Surrey Oakley, Surrey

Have managed to find an ancestor in 1851 census and it shows his place of birth as OAKLEY, Surrey. I have viewed the scan and consider the transcribing accurate but I cannot find any reference to Oakley in Surrey or even an equivalent phonetic. The birth would have been about 1795 and there are two possibles on Family Search but neither from Oakley. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks
Read more : Oakley, Surrey | Views : 6034 | Replies : 20

Clio Boys Home - Liverpool

Leonard George HUTCHINGS was born in BROADSTAIRS (Kent) in 1890. By 1907 he was staying at the CLIO Home for Boys in Gt. George Sq. in Liverpool and joined the R.N. from there. Previously he had been to sea as his trade on enlistment was EDH (Efficient Deck Hand). Can anyone help with any details regarding the Clio Home and/or its records? Grateful for any info. Dave H.
Read more : Clio Boys Home - Liverpool | Views : 881 | Replies : 2

Richard Obrey

Trying to track down information on Richard Obrey - birth, parents, death etc.
All I know is he married my great grandmother Emily Tomlinson nee Wood in 1909 in Leeds. Emily was married to John Tonlinson (1870-1906). Emily and John had four children Ivy (1894-1935), Joseph Edward (1894-), Clarence (1897-1965) and Fred (1899-1956).
After marrying Richard in 1909 Emily, Ivy, Clarence and Fred moved to 38 Ward Street, Hanley, Stoke On Trent, Staffs according to ...
Read more : Richard Obrey | Views : 2794 | Replies : 19

For a-s-e For a-s-e

Hi a-s-e
Thank you once again for your help! I have contacted Rose.

Please can you let me know if you received my private message to you re your assistance and Genes, as it still appears in my Outbox even though it said it was submitted. (It is not in my Sent messages).

Cheers & thanks
Sharee
Read more : For a-s-e | Views : 352 | Replies : 1

Missing from the 1841 census

Hi,

I'm trying to locate my g g grandfather in the 1841 UK census but not having any luck.

David Halket b. Perth, Scotland 1792 - Patent Nail Manufacturer, Insurance Broker, Ship Owner

Mary Halket b. Salisbury 1811
Richard Webb Halket b. Salisbury? 1835
Selina Webb Halket b. St Helens Place, London 1837
Mary Frances Halket b. Salisbury 1839

They were living in London at 19 St. Helens Place, Bishopsgate in 1841 and still there ...
Read more : Missing from the 1841 census | Views : 1465 | Replies : 6

Marriage Bond and Allegation

I have found a Marriage Bond and Allegation dated 23.6.1814 between William Andrew(s) Beckwith of the parish of St Sepulchre, Holborn and Elizabeth Beckwith of the parish of Paglesham, Essex (both widowed). (I'm not 100% sure yet if it's coincidence that they have the same surname or if she was previously married to one of William's relatives - I suspect the latter.) The Bond payment was £200, which would be forfeited if the marriage did ...
Read more : Marriage Bond and Allegation | Views : 1680 | Replies : 2

Gresham, Skepper & Pascoe

I am a descendant of Mary Gresham and Original Skepper (married at Fiskerton 1813). Their daughter Elizabeth married James Pascoe.

I have inherited a lot of old photographs from the 1800's that I believe to be of these families, however they are not named.

I am trying to locate anyone who may have old photographs so that I could compare and hopefully identify them. I am happy to share any that can be identified.

Kind ...
Read more : Gresham, Skepper & Pascoe | Views : 1090 | Replies : 4

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], ChristineS, MaryArmitage, Sadieshatterly, Yahoo [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 44250 • Total topics 9306 • Total members 29543