It is currently Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:12 pm

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Seaham Colliery Mining disaster

I re read my issue of WDYTYA Dec 2010 and read a query from Anthony Adolph about an ancestor called Robert Wilson, who worked at Seaham Colliery 1901-02. There is a book about a serious mining disaster in this mine, which happened in 1880. The book is called "Troubled Seams" by John E Mc Cutcheon, and is unfortunately out of print.
As for the fact that Robert's wife came form Dundee, I would imagine that ...
Read more : Seaham Colliery Mining disaster | Views : 579 | Replies : 0

FIRST SURREY RIFLES SCOUNT SECTION)1911

I have a photograph (postcard) showing a uniformed group and the writing states'FIRST SURREY RIFLES (SCOUNT SECTION) wINNERS, VESEY DAWSON CHALLENGE CUP, 1911.. I do not recognise anybody, and unfortunately do not know from which side of my family the photograph originated. Is anybody able to suggest how I might go about finding out about the First Surrey Rifles and or the Vesey Dawson Challenge cup. And should any reader recognise anybody in the photograph, ...
Read more : FIRST SURREY RIFLES SCOUNT SECTION)1911 | Views : 1305 | Replies : 5

SEARCHING FOR MY LLOYD FAMILY ROOTS.

Hello Folks;My peaple,as far as i know, lived in the Bethnal Green section of London,England.The names involved are LLOYD,ROBINSON and SPALDING.My grandparents were Harry Lloyd and Mary Elizabeth(Robinson)Lloyd,both born about 1870-75.Known to have lived in Bethnal Green,from 1895 til the late 1940s.There children were;Violet,William Alfred,Albert Arthur,Harry William and an unknown daughter called "Cissie".All of the children were born from 1898 til about 1910.I have pictures of two of my cousins by the names of Leslie ...
Read more : SEARCHING FOR MY LLOYD FAMILY ROOTS. | Views : 504 | Replies : 2

1851 London look up

I am hoping someone has access to other census indexes than the online ones as I have spent days trying to find the following couple

I am trying to prove/disprove the following person came from Staffordshire.

John BLADON born 1811 Gayton Staffs wife died in 1840 leaving him with 2 boys William 1836 Weston on trent Staffs and George 1839 WOT. The family are on the 1841 census but in 1851, William is at Eaton ...
Read more : 1851 London look up | Views : 1696 | Replies : 19

William James Coker

I'm trying to find something out about my uncle William James COKER born 01 Sept 1928, died Q1/1981. Any ideas where I should go to get some more information about him?
Read more : William James Coker | Views : 1032 | Replies : 3

Fanny Bayliss - My Missing Great Grandmother

My Great Grandmother was Fanny Bayliss. She married Ernest Francis Davis in 1893 in Cheltenham. Gloucestershire. In 1911 census she is a widow and 38 yrs old, birth place as Shurdington. Glos. On 2 April 1936 on her death certificate her daughter lists her age as 61 yrs. Her fathers name on her marriage is William Bayliss. The earliest census I have for her is 1901. I would appreciate any help of finding a birth ...
Read more : Fanny Bayliss - My Missing Great Grandmother | Views : 1378 | Replies : 8

21st Battalion, Canadians

Recently I have found information about my Great, Great Uncle who was killed during WWI aged 17. He came from Lavenham, Suffolk, but the mystery is why he was in Canada in 1914. The information reads "Enlisted in Canada, 1914 in 21st Battalion, Canadians. Came to England on his way to France April 1915. Killed at Ypres, June 14th 1916".

As far as I know we have no connections with Canada, and he came from ...
Read more : 21st Battalion, Canadians | Views : 1215 | Replies : 8

Charles FISHER, + martha Cornwell

hi, does anyone know about my Fisher family tree,
i have 3 generations of charles Fisher.

- Charles FISHER,
born c 1830, york, eng ?

lived mysia, ferrnihurst, vic, australia.
bd mysia cem,

- then charles henry Fisher,
md margery Taylor,

then charles norman Fisher,
md jessie dow,

of korong vale, natya, and swan hill.

any info much needed.

from bindi johns.
Read more : Charles FISHER, + martha Cornwell | Views : 1156 | Replies : 6

Ellen Boyd + probable great nephew John Boyd

In 1861 my great grandmother Anna--known as Annie-- Darragh married Gilbert Higgins at the First Presbyterian church in Ahoghill C Antrim--her age was given as 22 so born c 1839
When Annie died in Busby, Renfrewshire in 1912, her parents' names were given as Patrick Darroch(Scottish spelling) and Ellen Darroch ms Boyd
I have tried on & off over a few years to discover when Ellen Boyd & Patrick Darragh were married and where--possibly C ...
Read more : Ellen Boyd + probable great nephew John Boyd | Views : 1173 | Replies : 4

cecil smith tuck

I have traced cecil tuck to New Zealand where I believe he died sometime between 1963 and 1978. Any ideas how I can find out exactly when and where he died. I believe he lived near Aukland with his wife Marjorie, she was alive in 1978. I also can't find when he emigrated although he was in New Zealand in 1957.

maxine tallon
Read more : cecil smith tuck | Views : 2477 | Replies : 11

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 37281 • Total topics 7700 • Total members 27145