It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:29 am

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Basil Caunter Cochrane

Can anyone help me find information on my G-Greatuncle Basil?
He was born in Hackney on 4th December 1868 and disappeared off the radar after the 1881 census.
I think he reappears in 1945 when his death in Wandsworth is recorded.
Where was he for 64 years? Did he have a family? Did he emigrate?
Certainly his name was never mentioned by my father or grandfather.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ian ...
Read more : Basil Caunter Cochrane | Views : 1277 | Replies : 15

Looking for Paul Harrison, Egton, Yorkshire.

Hi
I wonder if someone could please help me. I am looking for information on Paul Harrison born 8th Jan 1822 at Egton Bridge Yorkshire; He married Elizabeth Childe in 1846 in Yorkshire. Paul and Elizabeth had eight children: John born in 1847 at Egton, Yorkshire. Mary born 1849 at Egton, Yorkshire, Matthew born in 1850 at Egton, Yorkshire, Thomas born 1852 at Egton, Yorkshire, George born 1854 at Egton, Yorkshire, Ann born 1857 at ...
Read more : Looking for Paul Harrison, Egton, Yorkshire. | Views : 109 | Replies : 0

Berkshire Ancestors disc

I've only recently started researching my family history and the Berkshire edition of the WDYTYA? magazine has now gone out of stock.

Is anyone willing to email me/copy me the free disc? If so it would really help with my research as all my ancestors are from Berkshire. I'm happy to send a blank disc for burning, and to pay for postage.

Many thanks
river_tam
Read more : Berkshire Ancestors disc | Views : 348 | Replies : 2

SIEGE OF TOBRUK - SHIP'S WHEEL

Whilst stationed at Tobruk in 1941, my Great, Great Grandfather Clifford Cockayne retrieved the ship's wheel from a sunken german warship and brought it home as a soveneir. All the signatures on the wheel were officers and comrades of Clifford in the Royal Engineers and were etched on by tweezers as no other implement was available. The canvas cover housing the tweezers were made by Clifford at that time.

Does anyone have any relatives who ...
Read more : SIEGE OF TOBRUK - SHIP'S WHEEL | Views : 650 | Replies : 7

James William Watkins

There were 3 generations of James William Watkins in my family in Southwark. The youngest was born in 1843 and worked in the leather industry in Bermondsey. His father was born in Southwark around 1818 and died in 1883. He is found as Professor of Music, Teacher of music or musician in various census and BMD records. On his marriage certificate in 1838,James' father is also given as a professor of music but I cannot ...
Read more : James William Watkins | Views : 198 | Replies : 0

Richard Pass

Does anyone know anything at all about a Richard Pass, born Sept 1842 in Frieston, Lincolnshire? He Died 1887 in Doncaster. He married Sarah Jane Toulson in Doncaster 1880 & was described as a Widower. He was a Railway Labourer in 1881 Census
Read more : Richard Pass | Views : 411 | Replies : 6

Another Canadian Mystery Another Canadian Mystery

Folks,

My ancestors family migrated from Cornwall to Canada in 1843 (http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/t ... 1179888773) this link to to a copy of an announcement in the local newspaper showing Joseph & Mary Vivian and six children on 23 June 1843. I have details of the family including Joseph and Mary's births in St Column Major and St Eval, their Marriage in St Eval in 1825 and the birth of their ...
Read more : Another Canadian Mystery | Views : 290 | Replies : 2

1911 census + Coat of arms help 1911 census + Coat of arms help

Hello,

I am looking for my great great grandfather Charles Annely, born in Bath in 1867, in the 1911 census...His house seems to be the only house in the road to not have a census record.
He was going through a divorce at the time of the 1911 census and was living with his mistress, and possibly another mistress at 73 Studley Road, London. I was wondering if the reason he was not on the ...
Read more : 1911 census + Coat of arms help | Views : 252 | Replies : 2

Any help with how to trace a Canadian mystery?

Can anyone help me with how to find out more about ancestors who emigrated to Canada in the early 1900's- I have reached a bit of a dead end.

This story comes with a twist though. So my great aunt Alice Waters (b1875 in Kent) emigrated to Ontario, Canada with her husband and two young children during 1911. I can find them on Passenger Lists arriving in Quebec. After that the trail goes cold until ...
Read more : Any help with how to trace a Canadian mystery? | Views : 1150 | Replies : 11

Death of Thomas Whitehouse

We all have our brick walls whilst researching our ancestors and this is one of mine !

I'm looking for my 3x great grandfather Thomas Whitehouse ... I know from the marriage certificate of my 2x great grandfather Henry Whitehouse that his father Thomas was deceased by the time of his marriage on Christmas day 1873 ... Henrys age at marriage was 19 ... so I would say that Henry was born sometime between 1853 ...
Read more : Death of Thomas Whitehouse | Views : 1065 | Replies : 11

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 31354 • Total topics 6708 • Total members 23818