It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:23 am

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

John Ruxton Weir - Dublin / Belfast

Hi, I am desperately trying to find something, anything on my great grandfather John Ruxton Weir. He was born 1881/83 in Dublin to William Ormsby Weir and Sara Ruxton. He married Sara Ruxton, his cousin, 24th Apr 1909 in the parish of Bucklow, Chester, England. They travelled about a lot - Dublin, Belfast, Scotland and 2 children - Sarah and William. John left the family, or they he, when the kids were very young and ...
Read more : John Ruxton Weir - Dublin / Belfast | Views : 435 | Replies : 4

Arthur Henry Layzell - Professional Footballer 1911

Whilst recently researching a family tree for a friend, I found a distant relative of hers listed on the 1911 census as a professional footballer.

Does anyone know how we can find out any more information about him eg what team he played for. I did look on the internet but without any success.

The person in question is Arthur Henry Layzell born c 1890 in Prittlewell, Essex. On 1911 census he was residing at ...
Read more : Arthur Henry Layzell - Professional Footballer 1911 | Views : 934 | Replies : 7

Help with my brick wall Help with my brick wall

Hello I'm Denise from Coventry

I have been reading many of your fascinating stories and I'm amazed at the work you all put in to help others and how fast your results are so I thought I would ask for your help.

I am trying to trace the birth of my ggf Joseph Wood, he married 21st July 1907 he was 20 and his spouse was Rose Olorenshaw age 19 Holy Trinity Coventry. He gives ...
Read more : Help with my brick wall | Views : 214 | Replies : 2

Paul Kentish Born: circa. 1675, Barking

Hi,

I'm trying to trace the ancestry of Paul Kentish who was married in Strood, Rochester, Kent on 08 May 1699 to Francis Cox (born in Chatham, Kent). According to his marriage entry (obtained from the Medway website), he was born in Barkin, Middx and his occupation was 'sailor' . There is no Barkin in Middx, so I went with the assumption that it meant Barking, Essex, parish records from this time are available in ...
Read more : Paul Kentish Born: circa. 1675, Barking | Views : 155 | Replies : 0

James Johnson

Still trying to find any record of James Johnson who was born in Sudbury Suffolk 1821.
His parents were James or Potter Johnson and Mother was Mary anne nee Brackett.
James was a Butler on later Census records and his father was a Sadler.
I have visited all Records Offices that deal with Sudbury, no luck.Found one that I hoped would be the correct one but the father was a Carpenter unless his father changed ...
Read more : James Johnson | Views : 827 | Replies : 6

Missing family on census records

I am trying to find a James Ward born 1810 in Rotherhithe, he is on the 1851 Census and was a Blacksmith but he and some of his family have disappeared from the 1861 census onwards.
His wife was Elizabeth born 1811 in Rotherhithe and the missing children are James s Ward born 1840 Rotherhithe, Elizabeth born 1842 in Rotherhithe, Emma born 1848 in Rotherhithe and Martha born 1851 in Rotherhithe which was in Surrey ...
Read more : Missing family on census records | Views : 244 | Replies : 2

Canadian mystery

My Dads army records show that he had a wife in Canada that we didn't know about.He went to Canada in 1926 on the SS Doric.He worked in the Toronto region and during that time married Effie Alberta,in 1932 according to Canadian records he was said to be starving in Sarnia Rd and his wife was being looked after by the S.A.(Salvation Army?)in Toronto.The Two homes she could have been in have no records prior ...
Read more : Canadian mystery | Views : 170 | Replies : 0

John Craiglyn Roberts

I am trying to find my Partners Father who lived in Exeter in the mid 1940s with his sister and mother he was born in wales he was also in the merchant navy he disappeared when she was 2 and a half he has proberbly passed on now but she would like to research his family
Read more : John Craiglyn Roberts | Views : 225 | Replies : 2

Antigua, West Indies

Can anyone help with some suggestions on how I can find out a bit more about my ancestor who was born in Antigua in the West Indies. He moved back to London where he married and had his family. He is listed as a gentleman, so I am assuming his family may have had something to do with plantations - but I don't know and would love to find out more.

Many thanks
Read more : Antigua, West Indies | Views : 106 | Replies : 1

Mary Belcher c 1781

Hi,
I am trying to find the parish records for the baptism of Mary Belcher in the hope of finding out who her parents were. In the 1841 census she was recorded as born in Kent. The ancestry search through parish records brings up 2 strong possibilites, 1 in Chatham Kent and 1 in Westminster. She later married in Greenwich and their children were born in Deptford. Any help/suggestions as to which may be the ...
Read more : Mary Belcher c 1781 | Views : 303 | Replies : 3

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], leslam, TurnitinBot [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 31677 • Total topics 6760 • Total members 24025