It is currently Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:22 am

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Blagrave Hospital Tilehurst

Hi, I've been researching my 2x Great Grandfather James Seymour. Having just found his will on ancestry I found he died in Blagrave Branch Hospital Tilehurst, I've typed the name into google but can't find any info about the hospital.
I'm particularly interested as he lived in Newbury.
Any info would be great
Read more : Blagrave Hospital Tilehurst | Views : 3053 | Replies : 9

Speedy Towers

Well, having posted about other members of my family I have stopped looking into that brick wall and have decided to attack another.

My Great Aunt was married to a gentleman who was always said to have been "The Amazing Speedy Towers Wall of Death Rider". He is supposed to have worked with Billy Butlin out of Skegness. But I have checked everywhere and i cannot find any evidence that Speedy Towers (aka Fred Jones) ...
Read more : Speedy Towers | Views : 927 | Replies : 4

Try to sort out a WW1 death conundrum - help!

I'm trying to research the death of a friend's great grandfather who, the family lore/myth call it what you like says, died at the Battle of Cambrai. His son, whose birth is registered in the June Quarter of 1919 has the middle name 'Cambrai'.

Now comes my two fold dilema.

Firstly, the CWGC site shows that those who died at Cambrai are commemorated on the Louverval Memorial but these were soldiers who died in 1917 ...
Read more : Try to sort out a WW1 death conundrum - help! | Views : 691 | Replies : 3

DNA Testing

Can anyone advise on the merits of the various DNA tests available to family historians when one is not currently trying to break down a brick wall or prove anything in particular?

I have no brothers and my father is an only son, of an only son. He is now 77 years old and the very recent death of my uncle (my mother's brother) has focused my mind. If I don't get Dad to do ...
Read more : DNA Testing | Views : 1152 | Replies : 4

Crimes in 1880

My husbands Great Grandfather was on the Vessel Akbar in 1881 and I believe this ship was for people that had done previous crimes how can I find out what he had done? His name was John Poole and was born in 1867
Read more : Crimes in 1880 | Views : 465 | Replies : 2

link between Willis families in Dover and Deal

I have been researching my Willis family tree for some time and although the main branch traces back from Dover to Barham and back to Dover in the mid-17th century (James Willis, baptised Dover 1665, there is another Willis family - with its roots in Deal - which married into my mum's Hopper family.

I have been able to trace this Willis branch back as far as William Woodruff Willis , who was baptised ...
Read more : link between Willis families in Dover and Deal | Views : 323 | Replies : 0

Connection to 'The Abode of Love'? Connection to 'The Abode of Love'?

I've been sent a photo of a distant relation - John Henry Bushell - and it presents something of a mystery. The photograph shows a group of labourers, including John on the left of the picture, stood outside what appears to be a ramshackle wooden wagon trailer, with the words THE ABODE OF LOVE painted on the outside.

I've searched online for 'The Abode of Love' and most results relate to a Christian sect set ...
Read more : Connection to 'The Abode of Love'? | Views : 668 | Replies : 1

East Anglian movement to the North

I am trying to find out how a family from Great Ellingham (near Attleborough) in Norfolk came to be living in Bradford in 1841. The parents Edward and Lydia Chapman had their last child in 1833 in Great Ellingham and by 1841 were in Bradford. Edward giving his occupation as labourer and his children working in the woollen mills.

Jeremy Paxmans episode of WDYTYA featured a 'poor law Authority scheme which sent the unemployed north' ...
Read more : East Anglian movement to the North | Views : 590 | Replies : 3

Thomas Johnson born 1852 Macclesfield Cheshire

Looking for descendents of Thomas Johnson as above, wife Hannah Johnson born 1860 Bollington Cheshire
1911 cenus shows 19 Sunderland Street Macclesfield Cheshire
Jessie- 1885
Polly 1887
Willie 1890
Emily 1891
Jack 1894- my grandfather.
I would be grateful if anyone can help with tracing the families of the siblings of my grandfather Jack
Read more : Thomas Johnson born 1852 Macclesfield Cheshire | Views : 3858 | Replies : 18

Missing Woodroffe brothers c 1899

My great-grandfather, James Woodroffe, born Marylebone, London in Nov 1853 married Elizabeth Sarah Hayford 1887. Lived in NE London, including at 1891 census in Hackney. Not found in 1901 census, when wife (listed as widow) and 3 surviving children (last born April 1899) were in Amport, Hants. Wife remarried 1903 and changed her/children's surnames. Can find no death for James in any records, despite claims by wife made around 1902 that he had died from ...
Read more : Missing Woodroffe brothers c 1899 | Views : 1275 | Replies : 3

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]

Total posts 45317 • Total topics 9724 • Total members 29717