It is currently Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:46 am

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Charles Stoney - Australia

Is anybody researching the Stoney family in Australia? I have a Charles Stoney in my tree who was born in Sheffield circa 1865. I can only find him on the 1871 census in England, but there are 2 records of passages to Australia for a Charles born around 1865. The passages took place in 1882 and 1890. There are some electoral registers in Queensland which could be his - but not if another Charles Stoney ...
Read more : Charles Stoney - Australia | Views : 1059 | Replies : 8

Sarah Bernard born in gibraltar spain in 1823

My family are from Durham North England but my My 3rd Great Grandmother Sarah Bernard was born in spain gibraltar in 1823 ( some of her records also say cibrelton, spain) her mother was Anne ( i think wilson was her maiden name) and she was born in 1793 in Scarborough Yorkshire. By the 1860 Census she was a soldiers widow. Her husband was Thomas Bernard born around 1793 but I do not know if ...
Read more : Sarah Bernard born in gibraltar spain in 1823 | Views : 639 | Replies : 2

photo help

Every time I try to look at the photo help section of the forum I find an advertising strip running vertically through the photograph which makes viewing a picture very difficult.

Please does anybody have any advice on dodging the advertising strip
Read more : photo help | Views : 931 | Replies : 7

William Page 1891? William Page 1891?

I have been unable to trace my Great Great Grandfather William Page(born c1856 Great Shelford, Cambridgeshire) on the 1891 census, I have tried alternative spellings and everything I can think of, I have come to the conclusion that he may have been abroad as he was in the military at the time of the 1881 census.
By the time of the 1891 census he was married to Mary Maria Jackson (born c1862 Edgefield, Norfolk) ...
Read more : William Page 1891? | Views : 630 | Replies : 2

Elizabeth Walker born in 1827 Edinburgh Midlothian Scotland

I would like to find out if her family are from scotland or she was 1st generation born and lived in scotland. She married a James mallen Jr In Durham. Their daughter was Ann Eleanor Mallen born in Durham 1852

I am a descendant of hers.

Also James Mallen SNR born in durham 1795 - I would like to know his parents names and where the name Mallen comes from. He was married to Mary ...
Read more : Elizabeth Walker born in 1827 Edinburgh Midlothian Scotland | Views : 1793 | Replies : 1

Royal Garrison Artillery

Hello everyone
Im a newbee and I noticed a section on the Royal garrison Artillery.
My grandfather was a Henry Charles Ault, I never knew him as he was born in 1878 in Marylebone, London. He died the year before i was born 1954 and until i started researching my family history, i had no idea he served in the 1st world war.
I am one of the unfortunates who only have his medal roll, ...
Read more : Royal Garrison Artillery | Views : 1972 | Replies : 2

research in Canada

I am trying to find out what happened to my uncle James Hanrahan (born 1906 in Ferrybank, Waterford )after he emigrated to Canada in 1920. I have details from ships lists and immigration of arrival in Hamilton in 1927, return visit to Ireland in 1932 travelling on Canadian passport. He left Ireland for last time after visit of 5 weeks on May 31st. 1932.
It was shown that he took £500 back to Canada. I ...
Read more : research in Canada | Views : 612 | Replies : 4

Peter Wilson: 4x Grt Grandfathers Marriage.

Hi All,

This time here.

I am stuck at a brickwall. My 4x Grt Grandfather, Peter Wilson, lived and worked in Liverpool as a Shipwright.
All his children were born there...yet I cannot find a marriage for him. His wifes name was Elizabeth as far as I know. But no matter hom much I look I cannot find a marriage for a Peter & Elizabeth around the time of their 1st child John born 1780. ...
Read more : Peter Wilson: 4x Grt Grandfathers Marriage. | Views : 380 | Replies : 0

Book help

At long last I hvae decide to bite the bullet and write the Bladon family history. I have over 400 years to do so it will be time consuming and long. However i have a few queries re copy right.

If I take a photo of a church, grave or property am I allowed to publish it in the book without asking permission?

Can I quote from a PR entry, will, newspaper report i.e write ...
Read more : Book help | Views : 336 | Replies : 2

Am I legally married?

On my birth certificate I am known as one surname (I was brought up by my Grandmother, who has a different surname to my birth certificate).
When I married I gave my surname as my Grandmothers surname (which I have always been known as - from the age of 12 months). The person who I have gave notice of marriage to at the age of 19 was my Grandmother (she was a Registrar of BMD). ...
Read more : Am I legally married? | Views : 526 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, Yahoo [Bot]

Total posts 38915 • Total topics 7938 • Total members 27854