It is currently Sat May 23, 2015 12:51 pm

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

how to plug a gap in the record?

My ancestor, Hannah Morgan, died before 1891 because her husband is listed as a widower in the 1891 census. Two Hannah Morgan's are listed in the BMD records between 1881 and 1891, one in Bridgend, where you would expect her death to be registered, one in Pontadawe, which looks unlikely because there is no family connection with Pontadawe. So that leaves Bridgend, except I have the death certificate and the person named is not my ...
Read more : how to plug a gap in the record? | Views : 453 | Replies : 7

18th century records

Can anyone suggest the best place, online, to search for 18th century records apart from FamilySearch.org?

Thank you.
Read more : 18th century records | Views : 215 | Replies : 1

Samuel Fletcher ("up north")

Hi

Again, to save cross-posting, just a quick pointer here to a post of mine in "Help with your Research" forum. Trying to find out who Samuel Fletcher, the father of my relative Charles Fletcher , is!

My Charles says in census returns he was from York, Hull and Derby ... humph, does not help me.

Trouble is, were they asked "Where were you born" or "Where did you come from"?

Also, people heard different ...
Read more : Samuel Fletcher ("up north") | Views : 257 | Replies : 0

What happened to Benjamin Crabb (1815)

Hi all,

I have posted a plea in the "Help with Research" forum to see if anyone can give me guidance and/or help finding out what happened to my Benjamin Crabb.

To save cross-posting, please have a look there and if anyone can come up with something I would be very grateful.

Thanks for looking

Rob
Read more : What happened to Benjamin Crabb (1815) | Views : 207 | Replies : 0

tracing birth mothers information

Cannot get any information regarding birth mothers birth certificate , despite a researcher forwarding her subsequent marriage certificate to me. Are there problems accessing Irish records?
rotherham 41
Read more : tracing birth mothers information | Views : 202 | Replies : 1

SAMUEL FLETCHER

Hello, another of my brickwalls ...

My gt gt gt grandfather Samuel Fletcher is a problem for me ..

The line goes Samuel, Charles (1818-1875), Samuel Charles(1850-1912), Charles E (1878-1947), Leonard( 1918-1981)

Charles (1818) appears in Portsea as a labourer and widower. On various census returns he says he's from York, Hull and Derby. He lived next door to Mary Ann Poland (Polland nee Shirvell) a widow. She had 5 children with Benjamin Poland. She ...
Read more : SAMUEL FLETCHER | Views : 252 | Replies : 0

BENJAMIN CRABB 1815 - disappears?

Hello

Iam trying to trace my gt gt grandfather, Benjamin Crabb b.1815, father James Crabb (1780-1857) and Esther Jenkin(s) (1777-1862). James is the Crabb line from Stoke Climsland (not the Loders or Linkinhorne crew). Benjamin was born in Callington. James ran the Inn there. Benjamin married Catherine Smith 1843 in Bodmin (the 1841 census shows her name as Caroline). They had a number of children Eliza (1840) my gt grandmother, James (1843-1844) and Edward (1845-1846). ...
Read more : BENJAMIN CRABB 1815 - disappears? | Views : 229 | Replies : 0

Looking for Book on London Docklands

When I lived in Rotherhithe SE London, in the late 1980's, early 1990's, I obtained a book/booklet (Approx A4 Landscape size) showing details of how the Docklands would be developed. On each page, was a kind of watermark, where plans of the proposed development of the Thames were shown.
The last page, contained a photograph taken of a gentleman standing on the corner of Narrow Street and Ropemakers Fields, Limehouse, which was my grandfather.

In ...
Read more : Looking for Book on London Docklands | Views : 250 | Replies : 2

Correcting mis-transcriptions on Ancestry

Hi

I recently spotted a mis-transcription for a GRO reference for a marriage entry in the Ancestry BMD's.
Husband was shown as 1863 Q4 Horsham 2b 498, but wife was shown as Hailsham 2b 490, but the image for her entry clearly showed Horsham 2b 498 - a mis transcription.

I reported it to Ancestry, as I do with every error I find, only to be informed by Ancestry :-
"In order to maintain authenticity ...
Read more : Correcting mis-transcriptions on Ancestry | Views : 2210 | Replies : 3

Monksfield and Ice Cream

I have ancestors called Monksfield. Two entirely separate family sources say the visited the Monksfield's in Bethnal Green, London between the wars and were taken to the factory.

One source says the factory was closed in WW2 because rationing made production impossible. The other source says it was sold to Walls.

Does anyone know of this ice cream maker?
Read more : Monksfield and Ice Cream | Views : 901 | Replies : 5

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], diamondhoegem, Google [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 35781 • Total topics 7429 • Total members 26357