It is currently Sun May 29, 2016 4:17 pm

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Pre/Post Russian Revolution immigration to England

Hi,
Can someone point me in the direction of any web sites related to people leaving Russia just before, during or just after the Revolution? Thanks, Lilian
Read more : Pre/Post Russian Revolution immigration to England | Views : 430 | Replies : 0

Pub owner in Winkfield, Berkshire

I am having trouble trying to find any record of my in laws running pubs in Winkfield, Berkshire in the 1940s and 1950s.

One of the pubs was called the Fleur de Lys, Ascot Road, Winkfield, Berkshire. They may also have run the Queens Head in the same area in the same era. I hav contacted the pub directly, spoken to the Berkshire FHS, looked in Kelly's Directory and spoken to my in laws but ...
Read more : Pub owner in Winkfield, Berkshire | Views : 434 | Replies : 0

Lost family

I cannot trace any member of a family in the 1861 census and wondered if anyone has any bright ideas. The family is Eliza Jane Moorcroft formerly Green. She is a widow - her husband, Samuel Moorcroft, having died in 1857. Her children are George born 1848, Samuel 1850, Henry 1853, Adam 1855, and Jane 1857. George aged 13 in 1861 was out at work, I have found him as a servant ...
Read more : Lost family | Views : 686 | Replies : 2

Preserving old documents Preserving old documents

I have a couple of questions about looking after old documents.

Firstly, what is the best way to repair old documents? I have a number of old documents - war records, birth certificates etc - which are falling apart. I don't want to do a half-hearted job with selotape, which not only doesn't last but also marks the documents: what is the most professional way of making a repair without going to a professional?

The ...
Read more : Preserving old documents | Views : 2875 | Replies : 5

CENSUS - 1851 - WHAT INSTITUATION IS THIS?

I have found two ancestors on the 1851 Census. Catherine SMITHSON, pauper aged 32 is in an instituation in St Botolph, Bishopsgate, London HO107/1524 Folio 703 Pg 14.
Her 1 month old daughter, Mildred, is listed on the following page.
Husband Thomas SMITHSON, a 33 year old Grocer, is a Prisoner at St Sepulchre, London HO107/1526 Folio 368 Pg 6.
I cannot find their son Thomas, born abt 1847.
How can I find out what ...
Read more : CENSUS - 1851 - WHAT INSTITUATION IS THIS? | Views : 1374 | Replies : 5

1911 autograph album

When I cleared my mother's house after her death I came across an old autograph album. I do not believe it has any connection to my family and I would like to donate it to someone, or a local historical society, that it has meaning for. I believe it may have belonged to an old gentleman that my father acted as executor for, who died in Kent in the period 1995-2003 and who did not ...
Read more : 1911 autograph album | Views : 784 | Replies : 2

The stigma of illegitimacy

I'm an author ('A Force to be Reckoned With', 'Bluestockings' etc) currently researching a new book for Penguin, 'In the Family Way', about the stigma of illegitimacy from 1918 to the dawn of the permissive age in the 1960s. I'll be working from first-hand accounts, and would love to hear from you if you have stories about family members who were illegitimate, or who had illegitimate children, during this period. I'm particularly intrigued by other ...
Read more : The stigma of illegitimacy | Views : 599 | Replies : 1

Researching the 1940s

Could anyone tell me where to look to discover more about a community, and the people within that community, in the 1940s? Thank you.
Read more : Researching the 1940s | Views : 911 | Replies : 4

Kirker Family

Hi
I am researching the Kirker family who immigrated to New Zealand and am trying to find out where they came from. Unfortunately I have a great deal of misleading information on the various documents I have which have made this difficult. What I do know is the following:

William Kirker immigrated to New Zealand in 1875 (age stated as 25 according to immigration list, but unfortunately does not state where he came from). Family ...
Read more : Kirker Family | Views : 2174 | Replies : 5

Researching Swiss ancestry (early 19th and 18th Centuries)

Hi, I've discovered tonight that a branch of my family tree descended from Zurich in Switzerland. I'm looking for any records before around 1828 but I'm not sure where to look and can't find too much information out there on the internet. While I don't speak German, Google Translate suffices pretty nicely so if you know any websites, preferably in English but I don't mind, then it'd be really appreciated if you could share them ...
Read more : Researching Swiss ancestry (early 19th and 18th Centuries) | Views : 2331 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 42638 • Total topics 8516 • Total members 29077