It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:03 am

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Great Grandfather Adopted?

Hello, I hope someone could be of help. I know my Great Grandfather was Edward Owen Cartwright, born Wolverhampton 1915. I have been told that he was adopted, but this is as far as i have got ( I'm geographically and socially distant from my fathers side i.e can't really ask them).

What i want to know is who were his parents :?: Is it possible to ...
Read more : Great Grandfather Adopted? | Views : 868 | Replies : 6

Searching for William Sykes

Hi

I am wondering if anyone can help me find a William Sykes who was a Forgeman in Sheffield in 1935. I don't know that much about him. He did have at least two daughters - one called Florence Sykes who was born in 1916 and another called Jessie who I believe could have been older than this.

I am a bit stuck about where to go as there seem to be a lot of ...
Read more : Searching for William Sykes | Views : 382 | Replies : 1

West Ham Buildings

During World War 2 my Grandfather, and his regiment of the Gordon Highlanders, were assigned to guard "West Ham Buildings" does anyone know what these buildings were and why they needed guarding or how I can find out?

Thanks
Read more : West Ham Buildings | Views : 434 | Replies : 2

Teething & Dentition

Another reader has posted unwanted death certificates where the cause of death was either "teething" or "dentition", which I am guessing are the same cause of death as I think both were infants.

I have just looked this up and found the following on http://www.thornber.net/medicine/html/medgloss.html:-

"Teething infants sometimes suffered infections of the gums as the teeth erupted leading to pain and swelling. If the infection became systemic, it could ...
Read more : Teething & Dentition | Views : 1365 | Replies : 4

My great-uncles Irish marriage

I have at long last found the record of my great-uncle's Irish marriage, thanks to a recent link to the Irish records at FamilySearch posted on the forum. But I cannot find his wife. Is this still a work in progress, or because something is amiss? I tried browsing the records - it does seem to say that you can, but I failed to do so. I'm not good with technology. ...
Read more : My great-uncles Irish marriage | Views : 462 | Replies : 6

tracing Great Grandfather Joseph Forsyth Johnson

My Grandfather was George Harry Ernest Forsyth Johnson born 1882 in Shepherds Bush, London. His birth certificate says his parents were a Joseph Forsyth Johnson, (Landscape Gardener) and Julia Kate Johnson (formaly Pearce) I cannot find a marriage certificate for Joseph and Julia, or a death certificate for Joseph Forsyth, also there is no mention of them in the 1881 census. I have found Julia Kate on the 1889 census as a widow living with ...
Read more : tracing Great Grandfather Joseph Forsyth Johnson | Views : 2632 | Replies : 23

Military Records

Hello,

Is there anyone out there who can point me to sites which may be able to help me trace the military records of my ancestors. I have been researching my family tree for some time, and how found myself becoming more and more interested in the military aspects of my ancestors' lives, in particular the parts played by them in both world wars. Can anyone help, please?

Thanks.
Read more : Military Records | Views : 229 | Replies : 1

Murray Family

Hi, this may be a bit of a long shot but I am interested in finding any members or descendants of the Murray family who used to live at 3 Coastguard Station, Dun Laoghaire around 1945-1947.

I believe we may have mutual ancestors through the Quinlan family.

Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks, Andy.
Read more : Murray Family | Views : 169 | Replies : 0

NOYCE George Poore

I have a photo which was amongst a box of documents and photos bought at an auction, of the above person in the uniform of the Royal Marines Artilery and am researching into his family history.

He was born in December 1881 at Downton, Wiltshire to George and Fanny NOYCE. His mother Fanny (nee POORE) died a few days after his birth from complications of the birth.

Both he and his father worked on the ...
Read more : NOYCE George Poore | Views : 207 | Replies : 0

Parental Brick Wall Parental Brick Wall

I'm trying to find details about my dad's side of the family, however I have a massive brick wall that I can't seem to negotiate.

I've only recently discovered the name of my father, the only details Mum can remember are his name and that his family lived in Swindon. He was not listed on my birth certificate and I have no other facts about him.

I'm just wondering if anyone can give any advice ...
Read more : Parental Brick Wall | Views : 173 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], JaneyH, Yahoo [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 32761 • Total topics 6946 • Total members 24829