It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:57 am

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

deciphering handwriting deciphering handwriting

i have a problem making out the place name on a birth certificate for a canadian great uncle,mother`s place of birth looks like kilarney?england,i thought kilarney is in ireland,so why was it taken down as england?any help much appreciated.
Read more : deciphering handwriting | Views : 1701 | Replies : 10

Legitimising a birth.

Unable to find my husband's birth certificate recently, I tried to obtain a copy for him but came up with the following information: was actually born 3 years before his parents married and was registered with his mother's surname.
However, the lost certicate gave him his father's surname and had been used over the years for a number of reasons, including obtaining a passport and driving licence and also for his marriage.
I had understood ...
Read more : Legitimising a birth. | Views : 1060 | Replies : 3

Swedish Grandfather with unknown origin

Hi, my grandfather was believed drowned following the ship he was on foundered in the North Sea. The steamship in question was the SS Rodney, the date was the 12/11/1925. I have a crew list which states he lived in Hull at the time of the incident (married to my Grandmother). My father was never very certain whether he was of Norwegian or Swedish origin. I have received documentation from the Merchant Navy Seamans Orphanage ...
Read more : Swedish Grandfather with unknown origin | Views : 786 | Replies : 5

Purvis Family - Gateshead, Durham, England

Searching for any information on the Purvis Family from Gateshead, Durham, England.
Read more : Purvis Family - Gateshead, Durham, England | Views : 397 | Replies : 1

Registration in England of Scottish Border Marriages

I am rather mystified about irregular (Scottish Border) marriages and how they were accepted back in England. I have found that with two of my ancestors who had border marriages they seem to have normailised these in England later in the year. The example with most information is that of George Markwell and Chritian Forsythe who were married (according to an IGI record at Mordington in Scotland (4.6 miles from Lamberton). But now I have ...
Read more : Registration in England of Scottish Border Marriages | Views : 697 | Replies : 2

Edith Bell ,Sunderland 1886

hi ,i have been searching for my great aunt Edith Bell ,born 12th February 1886 in Sunderland Durham FOR A LONG TIME .
Edith Bell was last known to be at
St Hildas Industrial School for Girls ,84 Lowther Street ,York
After that she dissappears
i cant find a death or marriage
she was Edith Carlin Bell on the 1901 cencus in south shields
id love to find out what happened too her.
thanks plewsy
Read more : Edith Bell ,Sunderland 1886 | Views : 1261 | Replies : 1

Brick wall

For many years I have been unable to find the B/cert for my g.father William Foster. This is the info I do have:
William Born 1879 Manchester/Salford
He married Mary Ellen Southworth 13/12/1911 Manchester Reg Office. Living Royton St Manchester (Deansgate area) Occ.Fruit Hawker age 32. Certifcate states father William Foster Deceased Warehouse Lab.

However the 1911 census shows the couple living Hardman St.Manchester(Deansgate area) Williams age shown as 37.Born Salford and having 2 children ...
Read more : Brick wall | Views : 561 | Replies : 5

West of Scotland Cricket Club

Looking for information on Richard Ross Morwood played for Wof S late 40's early 50's. Pictures/information would be good. Not having much success from the club when I enquired.
Read more : West of Scotland Cricket Club | Views : 280 | Replies : 1

Missing presumed dead?

Can anyone help me track down a relative who disappeared and was later presumed dead?

My husband's grandfather William Henry toulson married Nellie green about 1915 presumably whilst he was on leave from the fighting in WWI. They had one child who died not long after birth called rhoda (although it was shown on the birth certificate as his, there may be an element of doubt as he was a soldier).

Nellie then disappears. Family ...
Read more : Missing presumed dead? | Views : 693 | Replies : 5

occupation -Maltster,Journeyman

Hi All,
Tracing friends family tree and have have come accross following occupations is there anyone out there who can explain what they are;
Maltster, Journeyman - living at Summer Row House, Wolverhampton (this person has a criminal record - his ofence was Larceney by Servant and he was sentanced to 18 months prison sentance in 1800). Can anyone shed light on the type of crime that he may have committed.
This person in 1891 ...
Read more : occupation -Maltster,Journeyman | Views : 1580 | Replies : 3

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]

Total posts 39939 • Total topics 8063 • Total members 28135