It is currently Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:24 pm

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Dupree/Dewberry

My gt.grandmother Agnes was b1856 in Manchester, parents Hugh Grant, a clothier born Ireland, mother Sarah Grant, formerly Dupree (no marriage found). They moved to Altrincham, Cheshire, where certificates of further children show their mother’s name spelled Dupree, Duprey or Dubrey.
On the 1861 Altrincham census, Sarah (died 1878) is listed as born about 1831 in ‘Luton, Bucks.’ In 1871, she was born about 1825 in ‘Wasdon, Bucks.’ I thought these places could be Loughton/Waddesdon ...
Read more : Dupree/Dewberry | Views : 814 | Replies : 2

Wheathampstead, Hertfordshire

People researching ancestors in Wheathampstead may be interested in this website:-

http://www.wheathampstead.net/history.htm
Read more : Wheathampstead, Hertfordshire | Views : 365 | Replies : 0

Kimpton, Hertfordshire

If anyone is researching ancestors in Kimpton, Hertfordshire, you might be interested in the Kimpton Village website. Thre is a large online archive, with copies of original records and photos.

The website address is http://www.kimptonvillage.tsohost.co.uk/.
Read more : Kimpton, Hertfordshire | Views : 468 | Replies : 0

MARY GILES, 1911 (CHILDREN'S HOME?)

Has any one a MARY GILES living at Green Man Lane, West Ealing in their Tree? Did Mary run a 'Home' for children in 1911 as she is shown as a Widow (aged 48) with a Single lodger (aged 30), and 3 children all under 8 month of age, all five persons with different surnames, although the lodger signed the Census Form?
Read more : MARY GILES, 1911 (CHILDREN'S HOME?) | Views : 1302 | Replies : 1

Music Hall Troupe 'The Eight Lancashire Lads'

Twins William & James Cawley (born 1888, Golborne, Lancashire) were part of the Music Hall Troupe 'The Eight Lancashire Lads'.

Does anyone have any personal details about this Troupe?

I've seen lots of information concerning Charlie Chaplin's time with this troupe, but have found very little information about other members, including the Cawley twins and the part they played.

I believe William (Bill) Cawley was a co-founder, but how did he relate to the twins? ...
Read more : Music Hall Troupe 'The Eight Lancashire Lads' | Views : 3441 | Replies : 5

Salvidge or Randall - deciphering Bristol records...help!

BARBER SAMUEL SAMUEL MARY 4.09.1825 Bedminster St.John 2a 178 1422 BARBER SAMUEL SAMUEL MARY 30.05.1830 Bedminster St.John 2a 261 2085 14-AUG-1827 SALVIDGE ARCHIBALD TUTTON RICHARD RANDALL CHARLOTTE 23.04.1834 Olveston 2b 13 103 SALVIDGE EMMA JAMES MARY 12.11.1826 St.James 2d 26 205 SALVIDGE EMMA GEORGE SARAH 4.10.1835 Bedminster St.John 2b 70 555 SALVIDGE GEORGE GEORGE SARAH 14.11.1830 Bedminster St.John 2a 270 2153 SALVIDGE JAMES JAMES MARY 1.11.1835 St.James 2f 91 721 SALVIDGE JOHN GEORGE SARAH ...
Read more : Salvidge or Randall - deciphering Bristol records...help! | Views : 2660 | Replies : 2

Ham Family in Dedham

Hi, I have a John Ham b: abt 1770 in bradfield, essex married Charlotte Applewhite in 1799. I am trying to locate John's father or siblings. I have found many of his decendants most of whom are in the Dedham area. If anyone can help this would be great. Thank you. :D
Read more : Ham Family in Dedham | Views : 481 | Replies : 1

Help with Coat of Arms

Can anyone help identify the attached Coat of Arms, even though it is in black and white? It is shown on the Pedigree of White & Houlton which is contained in "The History of the Parish of Grittleton" (Wiltshire) published in 1843.

The other arms shown on this pedigree has been identified as Houlton, so I'm assuming that the other was given to the White family, with my direct ancestor Henry White (d.1605) being described ...
Read more : Help with Coat of Arms | Views : 1827 | Replies : 2

Handwriting Help

I've been trying to trace my 2x great grandfather and his mother. George James Kirby was born 2nd Feb 1870 in Lewisham Workhouse to mother Sarah Kirby born abt 1843, a servant.
I have found that Sarah had two daughters Agnes b. abt 1865 and Elizabeth b.1876.

Looking through Ancestry's Poor Law Admission and Discharge books, I found an entry for Sarah, George and Elizabeth being removed from Lewisham workhouse but can not read where ...
Read more : Handwriting Help | Views : 1278 | Replies : 3

researching the Curtis name

Is there anybody researching any of this family please.

William Curtis b.1807 Eling
Henry Curtis b.1809 Eling
Kezia Curtis b.1811 eling married John Groves 1835 d.1861
Maria Curtis b.1814 Eling
Louisa Curtis b.1815 Eling
Serlina Curtis b.1817 Eling .

Thanks
Kevynne
Read more : researching the Curtis name | Views : 2925 | Replies : 9

Login  •  Register

Registered users: AdrianB38, Alexa [Bot], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot]

Statistics