It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:22 pm

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Death of father & son

Researching my G.G Grandmothers first husband & I think I've found both him & their son (Nathan & Thomas Lucas, 27 & 1yr respectively) dying at the same time. Both their deaths have the same ref no - J/F/M 1866 Macclesfield 8a 118. I've applied for both their death certs but I wondered if anybody knows where I might be able to find out how/why they died by other means while I wait for the ...
Read more : Death of father & son | Views : 1163 | Replies : 6

infomation needed

hi first to this site, i have searched all the census's, but what i would like to know where do you go from there, how do you find out what become of your family after the last census 1911, i want to find out further research. internally grateful for any help :roll:
Read more : infomation needed | Views : 595 | Replies : 3

Victorian Prison Warders

Hello - I'm hoping someone out there can link me to some information on the life of a Victorian prison warder. There seems to be loads on prisoners, but not on warders. I have an ancestor who was a warder for most of his life - but he's also described on various documents as a 'gentleman' so I wondered whether warders were typically of that kind of class. He lived within the prison with his ...
Read more : Victorian Prison Warders | Views : 1072 | Replies : 3

Christiana Gordon born about 1883 Edinburgh area

During my research relating to my Great Great Grandfather Joseph Tomlinson who was the landlord of the Spotted Dog Inn, 58 Church Street, Hunslet, Leeds between 1900 and 1919 I came across a newspaper article in the Yorkshire Evening Post dated Friday 29 May 1903 describing an attempted suicide.
The article states that a Christiana Gordon (18), a domestic servant at the Spotted Dog Inn was charged at Leeds Police Court with having attempted to ...
Read more : Christiana Gordon born about 1883 Edinburgh area | Views : 610 | Replies : 5

Stumped - George Henry Hobbs b 1862 gloucester Stumped - George Henry Hobbs b 1862 gloucester

Trying to find if anyone else is doing their family tree which has a George Henry Hobbs born 1862 forest of dean father george mother elizabeth (formally wood) moved to hammersmith west London known to be living there around 1930 died in 1933. If anyone can help please get in contact
Read more : Stumped - George Henry Hobbs b 1862 gloucester | Views : 994 | Replies : 2

thomas white of haywards heath

I have an ancestor who is thomas white born 1841 in lindfield i do know a lot of his ancestry he married harriet berry and lived in haywards heath do any other members of his family exist?
Read more : thomas white of haywards heath | Views : 3598 | Replies : 9

Occupation Help

According to my great great grandfather's marriage certificate dated 6th November 1876, his father, Thomas Williams was recorded as being a 'Street Singer'. Does anyone know what this would have meant in either Manchester or Birmingham at that time? Was he essentially a busker?? Any information on this would be very interesting as I've drawn a bit of a blank.
Read more : Occupation Help | Views : 753 | Replies : 6

Brick Wall - Thomas Stanway

I've hit a brick wall in relation to my 3x great grandfather, Thomas Stanway. The only information I have is from the marriage certificate of my 2x great grandfather Adam Stanway.
Adam married Ann Lucas in 1868 in Sandbach,Cheshire. It was the second marriage for both of them, Adam was 60 and on the marriage cert. Ann is 30 although I'm sure she was actually about 25/26! - she was a widow & I'm pretty ...
Read more : Brick Wall - Thomas Stanway | Views : 1653 | Replies : 6

Information behind a Brightlingsea tile Information behind a Brightlingsea tile

I know how and why the Brightlingsea tiles came about.
I am trying to find out information about tile 163 - Walter H Francis, aged 44, lost from SS Matarazzo, Feb 11, 1916 (particulars unknown)
I have found 2 separate register entries for Walter Henry Francis stating he drowned/fell overboard on the date and ship stated on the tile.
However, both these entries & the Marine register death certificate state that Walter was 38 and ...
Read more : Information behind a Brightlingsea tile | Views : 1082 | Replies : 3

plumstead cemetery records

Please can anyone help me in finding a burial for Annie Phillips who died about 1883 to 1891 and was buried in Plumstead cemetery. Thanks for any help.
Read more : plumstead cemetery records | Views : 776 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], ciderdrinker, Majestic-12 [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 50401 • Total topics 9785 • Total members 30551