It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:29 am

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Wiseman families of Buxton and Bacton, Norfolk

My ancestor Jeffrey Wiseman was baptised in Buxton, Norfolk, in 1767, the child of David and Mary Wiseman. Mary's maiden name is unknown. His siblings, also baptised at Buxton, were Martha (bap 1770), David (bap 1776) and Michael (bap 1778). David Wiseman (snr) died at Buxton in 1823 aged 89, meaning that he would have been born circa 1734. I have not been able to locate the record of David and Mary's marriage, nor of ...
Read more : Wiseman families of Buxton and Bacton, Norfolk | Views : 1951 | Replies : 2

William Sheehan & Mary Ann Driscoll Poplar

Looking for the marriage details of William Sheehan born 1821 Ireland to Mary Ann Driscoll born 1826 Ireland.
According to the census of 1881 they are living in Poplar East London.
Unsure as to whether they married in Ireland or both came to England then married here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Laura x
Read more : William Sheehan & Mary Ann Driscoll Poplar | Views : 2273 | Replies : 2

Nottingham law 1850s

Hello everyone I have a question as what the law would have been in 1850 in Nottingham regarding a 15 yr old boy fathering a child. It appears my 2x grt grandfather has, but the child seems to have been registered as his Mum and step fathers child and brought up by them. He then has another child 4 years later and both these children have his stepfathers surname. Then for some reason when he ...
Read more : Nottingham law 1850s | Views : 563 | Replies : 2

From Irleand to USA

I am trying to make a breakthrough with research into my Great Uncles James and Thomas Murray. They immigrated from Wicklow, Ireland to America and I found them on a passenger list arriving in Boston in 1910 as labourers. The were both unmarried at that time. I also found Thomas on a later passenger list in 1924 making a return trip to Boston giving his previous residence as Boston. On that list he was stated ...
Read more : From Irleand to USA | Views : 721 | Replies : 3

Edward Hannan born abt 1801 Ireland

Looking for information on Edward Hannan my Gt Gt Gt grandfather according to the English Census of 1851 he was born abt 1801 in Ireland Occupation Porter....
He is also listed as married but there is no mention of his wife's name
His two sons are listed as( Edward Hannan born 1834 my Gt Gt grandfather) and his brother James

He appears in the 1841 census with both sons and still no wife/mother?

Any help ...
Read more : Edward Hannan born abt 1801 Ireland | Views : 1952 | Replies : 4

John Tussler c1768

I have come up against a brick wall with my 4xgreat grandfather John Tussler (or variants of Tusler/Trusler/Trussler). He married a Mary Powell on the 8th December 1799 in Petersfield, Hampshire with both parties living in Sheet at the time (a small village just outside of Petersfield). I have his death certificate which shows that he died on the 13th April 1850 aged 82 in Sheet which puts his birth date at around 1768 although ...
Read more : John Tussler c1768 | Views : 860 | Replies : 4

No cause of death listed?

Read more : No cause of death listed? | Views : 744 | Replies : 1

Electoral Rolls Help

Can anyone please help with electoral rolls from Eastbourne c 1904 to 1911?
Thank you
Read more : Electoral Rolls Help | Views : 685 | Replies : 2

Northern Ireland - GRO certificates

Hi

I'm new to Northern Irish research but I've made some good progress thanks to the latest edition of WDYTYA magazine.

I've found a marriage record and downloaded a transcript of the 'Civil Marriage Record' from Roots Ireland. What I'm not clear about though is whether this is the same thing as the GRO records and whether there is any additional information to be gained from getting the marriage certificate if they are not the ...
Read more : Northern Ireland - GRO certificates | Views : 429 | Replies : 2

1911 Manchester workhouse query

Hello
Can anybody help me, looking for ancestor Joseph Littler b1845 in Manchester a boilerman who I have found in 1911 in Manchester Workhouse. He is described as an inmate and married formerly boilerman. He is listed with many more men and all described as inmates. Prior to these list are list of staff including lunatic attendant. My question is he in the asylum part of Crumpsall Manchester previously known as Springfield or just in ...
Read more : 1911 Manchester workhouse query | Views : 846 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 46194 • Total topics 9866 • Total members 29824