It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:56 am

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Italian links, internment, Arandora Star

Just to let everyone know that my historical novel based on the 1940 sinking of the Arandora Star, with a British crew and Italian, Austrian and German internees aboard, has just come out in paperback (it's been a bestseller on Kindle.) My grandfather in law died on the ship, and the novel is extensively researched, which might come in useful to anyone researching this period. The Anglo Italian Family History Society were at the live ...
Read more : Italian links, internment, Arandora Star | Views : 724 | Replies : 3

Reasons for Register Office wedding in 1870s

I am looking at the marriage of my GG grandparents, George Godwin BOWDLER and Sarah Jane EDWARDS. The BMD entry is Westbury-on-Severn, Q2 1873, vol 6a, page 516.

I've already made extensive use of the excellent parish records database on the Forest of Dean Family History Trust website in other parts of my research, and this has been an invaluable resource for marriages and baptisms. I was therefore a little puzzled not to be able ...
Read more : Reasons for Register Office wedding in 1870s | Views : 2051 | Replies : 8

Thomas Parkinson, London 1755 -1839

Trying to find birth and any pre 1817 marriages for Thomas Parkinson, clerk in the Bank Of England.
Brother and sons were clerks at the Court Of Chancery.
Last marriage was to Jane Mardle 1817.
Thomas born circa 1755 but not known where. Buried Bunhill Fields with wife Elizabeth (died 1806).
Also a marriage before Elizabeth, name unknown, twos sons born - Roland and John.
Any help and advice appreciated.
Read more : Thomas Parkinson, London 1755 -1839 | Views : 1262 | Replies : 4

Ernest Brett

Ernest born 1875 in Birch Essex, by 1881 was living with family in Woolpit Suffolk, by 1891joined the Suffolk Regiment at Bury St Edmunds, then released due to Heart problem, then disappears can not find him on any more of the census or find a death for him, any suggestions on where to look next!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Read more : Ernest Brett | Views : 716 | Replies : 5

Nicklin's Field, Sutton Coldfield

I have a Death Certificate of a relative dated 1849. It states that she was living at Nicklin's Field when she died. Is this place a district of Sutton or a name of a property or a previous owners name who owned the property? I would be very pleased if someone can give me a bit of background.
Thanks
Dave
Read more : Nicklin's Field, Sutton Coldfield | Views : 744 | Replies : 3

Free Ancestry weekend

It would appear Ancestry is giving free access to their website this weekend. T&Cs apply, and I have not read them, but a chance for people to search for records for free!
Read more : Free Ancestry weekend | Views : 448 | Replies : 0

John Edward Curry

Looking for info on John Edward Curry (or Edward John) he changes his name, born Dublin 1876. Father John Curry, b Dublin. 1899 married Agnes Tunnicliffe in Hammersmith London, occupation jockey, father horse trainer, as per marriage certificate, (I have a copy) .1911 census is a coal filler in Rotherham. Trying to find John Edward's parents. Any help greatly appreciated.
Read more : John Edward Curry | Views : 2833 | Replies : 7

daniels

is there anyone out there who could look up William gardiner daniels according to his marriage certificate he was born 1816 in great Yarmouth and also his father was William daniels a king messenger deceased his marriage was 1885
Read more : daniels | Views : 512 | Replies : 2

Master tailors from 1830's - 1870's

My 3 x Great Grandfather was born in Sutton Coldfield in 1772 and became a tailor. On his Death Certificate it states that he was a 'Master Tailor'. How was this different to being an 'ordinary' tailor?
Can someone give me an answer please?
Thanks
Read more : Master tailors from 1830's - 1870's | Views : 591 | Replies : 2

Asylum Records

I'm looking for Asylum records and wondered how I go about accessing them?

Mary Ellen Whitehead died in 1894 and her death was recorded in 'Lancaster, Lancashire'.
I'm wondering if this means that Mary Ellen died in a 'Lancaster, Lancashire, Asylum'?
I've not sent for her death certificate as yet, but I intent to do so in the near future.
Any help with this would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

P.S. I have ...
Read more : Asylum Records | Views : 4568 | Replies : 14

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Jethro Tull, kimberrywickham, tiffanyreplica

Statistics

Total posts 55610 • Total topics 11335 • Total members 31456