It is currently Mon May 04, 2015 11:01 am

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

cecil smith tuck

I have traced Cecil Smith Tuck from his birth to his marriage in 1934. He was born in Royston in 1906 and at the time of his marriage he was a chemist living in Coventry. After this date I cannot trace him, I don't think he had any children and I cannot find his death. It is a possibility he emigrated but I can find no trace of him on any passenger lists. Any ideas? ...
Read more : cecil smith tuck | Views : 208 | Replies : 0

Red Cross Croix Du Guerre

OK, another conundrum.

I have another ancestor who was involved in WW1. Harold Rogers. He was apparently an ambulance driver with the Red cross/St John Ambulance(?) and was mentioned in despatches and ended up with the red cross medal and the croix du guerre.

But i can't find out why he would have been given these medals or why he was mentioned ind espatches. I did try the Red Cross HQ in switzerland but got ...
Read more : Red Cross Croix Du Guerre | Views : 587 | Replies : 2

Silver Nightingale

I am stuck with a number of family members but the closest in terms of GGG is Henry Thompson (b 1877 in Tamworth).

Henry, accordingto family history (however inaccurate) was a bit of a character. Despite having one leg quite a bit longer than the other he padded his boot with cardboard and enlisted for WW1.

He was then shot while in the trenches with the bullet apparently passing right up his arm and coming ...
Read more : Silver Nightingale | Views : 246 | Replies : 2

John Button born 1826-1828 Strand

Hi,

I'm really hoping someone can help with this as it's blocked me for such a long time.

My great great grandfather was born John Button in around 1828. He does appear in the census from 1861 on but i can't find him prior to this.

His place of birth changes from Strand to st.Pancras on different census transcripts.

I know that he married Harriet Treadwell around 1852 in Lambeth and had a son John ...
Read more : John Button born 1826-1828 Strand | Views : 589 | Replies : 4

Three brick walls

I've been researching my family tree for a few years on & off. My issue is that I have not one but 3 brick walls in my family tree.

The first...

I have managed to research back to my gg grandma - Sarah Higgins Holden Speight who was born in 1864 in Buttershaw, Bradford. She appears on the 1871 census in Bradford however she disappears after this.
She had an illegitimate daughter in 1882 & ...
Read more : Three brick walls | Views : 188 | Replies : 1

1911 census look up please

Please can anyone find my grandfather in law on the 1911 census.

He was Stanley Francis Bird b 1903 in Wandsworth.

I'm afraid that is all i have at the moment

Thank you
Read more : 1911 census look up please | Views : 173 | Replies : 1

Occupation query

Has anyone got any ideas what "Dru (?) Packer" might mean when listed as an occupation?

I have a transcript of the 1881 census for a male relative and this is what it lists as his occupation. The question mark appears in the transcript, it isn't something I've added. The man was 67 years old at the time and living in Shoreditch if this is any help.
Read more : Occupation query | Views : 361 | Replies : 4

gibralter census

hi, anyone know where i can see a gibralter census 1801 and 1901 thanks mike,
Read more : gibralter census | Views : 200 | Replies : 2

RAILWAY STAFF RECORDS

Trying to locate staff records/pension records for my gt grandfather, a life long North Eastern Railway employee - James Lumley HOLMES (b 1867) - a signalman employed in Yorkshire from about 1880 - 1892 and then a Porter, Ticket Examiner and Sleeping Car Attendant. He retired about 1932. Records not held at NRM, and I tried in vain at TNA, so any advise as to where to try next, would be gratefully received.
Read more : RAILWAY STAFF RECORDS | Views : 2507 | Replies : 6

Irish Ancestor in Liverpool

I am hoping someone can help with a query regarding 'emigration' to England.

I have traced my 3x great grandfather Michael Greed to his birth place in Co Tipperary and I have also traced his marriage and baptism of his six children born between 1838 and 1849. The next child was born in Liverpool in 1852 followed by another three also born in Liverpool. The family don't appear on the 1851 census but do on ...
Read more : Irish Ancestor in Liverpool | Views : 243 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], WinmordOt, Yahoo [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 35350 • Total topics 7330 • Total members 26176