It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:59 pm

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

brick wall with luckhurst brick wall with luckhurst

I have hit a brick wall it appears, I am researching my father's side of my family. my grandmother was Ivy Florence Luckhurst, born 1913 in acol, thanet..no father's name on birth certificate. shows residence at time of birth to be the bungalow, church street, acol. mother's name is Florence luckhurst..and this is where im stuck...there are so many Florence luckhurst's on 1901 and 1911 census's , how do I know which one it is
Read more : brick wall with luckhurst | Views : 1033 | Replies : 4

Death at sea

I have a funeral card which tells me that my great aunt died aboard SS Jumna either on the journey to or on returning from Australia 3 April 1889 and she was buried at sea.
How can I learn more about this and where might the death certificate details be held. The family was based in Co Cavan Ireland and she was visiting her sister who had emigrated to Australia ...
Read more : Death at sea | Views : 416 | Replies : 0

Rainey of Milltown Co Galway

I am interested to find information about my irish ancestry prior to them making the journey from Milltown County Galway
Surname: RAINEY / REINEY /REANEY etc
Daniel Rainey (Born abt 1815) and his brothers John (1811) and Thomas (1811) were all born in Ireland. Milltown or thereabouts is a strong possibility.
The family arrive in England in part about 1860, the men secured work and the women seemed to follow later.
Daniel (1815) married Bridget ...
Read more : Rainey of Milltown Co Galway | Views : 1112 | Replies : 0

George Dixon 1845-1926 and family - E.Yorkshire George Dixon 1845-1926 and family - E.Yorkshire

I became stuck on helping one of the regulars at the LDS FHC today. So thought some extra eyes and minds on the problem would help.
George Dixon migrated to Brisbane about 1864 and died there in 1926. His death cert and birth cert of one of his children say he was born in Sutton, Yorkshire. His parents were named as John DIXON and Mary SOWDEN. We don't yet have a birth cert for George. ...
Read more : George Dixon 1845-1926 and family - E.Yorkshire | Views : 4591 | Replies : 15

Titles

Does having "titled" ancestors in the 12th, 13th and 14th centuries neccesarily mean anything? Would have they needed to have done something important, or were favourites of the monarchy? Just curious.
Read more : Titles | Views : 355 | Replies : 1

Help tracing German ancestor Karl Friedrich Berlepsch

Hello,

I am trying to find more information on my GG grandfather Karl Friedrich (or Charles Frederick as it was anglicized) Berlepsch. I know he's born in Hesse in about 1831 and arrives in the UK in about 1860. On a UK census he states his birthplace as Kassel. However, on a German ancestry website I have found a newspaper report that talks about a Karl Friedrich Berlepsch who was found guilty of desertion. Taken ...
Read more : Help tracing German ancestor Karl Friedrich Berlepsch | Views : 1391 | Replies : 2

Danson Lane

I have come across a place called Jesney's Yard, Danson Lane, which I think was either in Kingston-upon-Hull, or just over the border from there: or somewhere in North Lincolnshire. It was in a newspaper article or advertisement from an old 19th century newspaper.
Has anyone any knowledge of this please?
Read more : Danson Lane | Views : 776 | Replies : 5

Frederick George Harding

Frederick George Harding was born about 1903 Bournemouth.

He was a so called actor.

He is on the DC for his mother Violet. In June 1953 Frederick is living at 7 Leofric Street, Coventry.

Is there anyway of finding out about his acting career?

Many thanks
Candis
Read more : Frederick George Harding | Views : 1629 | Replies : 5

Diana Medus

Seeking any information on Diana Medus (1786-1876) my 4 x great grandmother. She married Charles Harden (1791-1844) in 1808. They had a daughter, Sarah (1811-1899) Sarah married Charles Tomes (1809-1891). Thank you.
Read more : Diana Medus | Views : 880 | Replies : 5

Help with occupation

Can anyone distinguish what the occupation is for John Alfred Thomas Jones?
Thanks
Sam :D
Read more : Help with occupation | Views : 496 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], DianaCanada, Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 51742 • Total topics 9984 • Total members 30735