It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:39 pm

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

formal change of german name formal change of german name

Frederick Hameyer born in Germany arrived in the UK 9 May 1837 on the Rob Roy. Married in Bradford 6 January 1840. Daughter Jane Agnes Hameyer married under that name and they appear on the 1841 and 1851 census under that name then the family disappear from the records. Family history indicated the 'German' members of the family changed their name but no one knew what the original family name was or what it changed ...
Read more : formal change of german name | Views : 179 | Replies : 2

decyphering medal records/report

I have a medal award report written as

MS/946 Sjt. H. Denson, R.A.S.C., attd. 59th Sge. By., R.G.A. (Liverpool).

Can anyone tell me what the end part 'from attd' means?
Read more : decyphering medal records/report | Views : 229 | Replies : 3

Welsh Wills from Aberystwyth

The system for obtaining copies of Welsh Wills is very good. However If you try using the English version of a Welsh parish name it may not work Try using the Welsh name instead. For example, I wanted to see the wills for the parish of Pendoylan, which did not work. I then tried Pendeulwyn, which did work. So use the Welsh name rather than the Anglicised version.
Read more : Welsh Wills from Aberystwyth | Views : 164 | Replies : 0

cora lilian jacques smith

cora was born on the ninth of june 1889 in buxton derbyshire . her mothers name was sarah smith and her father is a diagonal line !? whoops! i found her on the 1891 census grand daughter of my 2x great grandfather and.......thats all? is anyone out there related who knows what happened to her no sign of her on ancestry library edition
Read more : cora lilian jacques smith | Views : 413 | Replies : 2

Dead end

On my mothers side, we have my grandmother who was in an orphanage, found her mother in adult life but her mother would never tell who her father was before she died. My great grandmother was Mary Griggs or mary Lovejoy I dont know which is her married name, the person she married was not the father of my grandmother.

Then my grandfather James Green, nothing much is known of his parents.

My grand mother ...
Read more : Dead end | Views : 184 | Replies : 1

Simple Relationship Chart

Can anybody point me in the direction of an online simple easy to understand relationship chart.

I have a photo written on the back is
To Aunty Sarah--Uncle Willie and Cousin George
From Freddy and family

I am wanting to know where Freddy fits in the family chart.

Sorry for such a silly question ,but the only charts i have found online seem very complicated.

Cheers
Colin
Read more : Simple Relationship Chart | Views : 564 | Replies : 5

Olive Coe

Olive Coe born in 1908 in Rollesby, Norfolk, does anyone know if Kate Coe who was in the same house in the 1901 census, was Olive's mother, they both have the same surname, they are down as boarders at a house in Great Yarmouth, owned by John Robert Buck. :D
Read more : Olive Coe | Views : 191 | Replies : 1

missing burials and head stones

St Pauls church Hyson Green Nottingham was closed down several years ago,the parish was joined with St Stephens church,i have been trying without sucess to locate the burials and headstones which were removed when the church was converted into flats,the internal burials were also removed so i have been told.I have been down all the obvious routes with no sucess at all,they must be somewhere as i am sure they wouldnt have just been disgarded.anyone ...
Read more : missing burials and head stones | Views : 315 | Replies : 4

Edward Hassett

I am looking into Edward Hassett, born in 1912 in Cork, Ireland, if there is anyone with any information, thank you. :D
Read more : Edward Hassett | Views : 211 | Replies : 1

Indian Marriage

Hi Sylvia Please could you have a look at Henry Wilhelm Roger Bond and suggest perhaps what I do next Thanks
Read more : Indian Marriage | Views : 87 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], callbrian, Deputy Editor, Google [Bot], Phizz, Yahoo [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 32256 • Total topics 6864 • Total members 24347