It is currently Sat May 30, 2015 11:18 am

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Irish Ancestor-Sarah Shaw

I'm trying to find out where in Ireland Sarah Shaw was born & how to trace her parents. I have her marriage to Philip Jamieson:

Philip Jamieson (full age, Weaver) resided Mill Street (Father Andrew Jamieson, Weaver) married
Sarah Shaw (19) resided Mill Street (Father Hugh Shaw, Weaver) on
5th May 1860 at the Parish Church in the Parish of Newtownards in County Down according to the Rites & Ceremonies of the United Church of ...
Read more : Irish Ancestor-Sarah Shaw | Views : 897 | Replies : 2

Henry George Mar(r)iner b1853/4 Hampshire

I am seeking help in trying to trace what happened to Henry who was my great great uncle and who has proved to be rather elusive in the records.

He was the son of Henry and Mary Ann Marriner and was baptised on the 5th February 1854 in Buriton, Hampshire. However I have not been able to find any record of him since. There appears to be no record of a marriage (although I believe ...
Read more : Henry George Mar(r)iner b1853/4 Hampshire | Views : 403 | Replies : 3

Sydney Adolphous Buchanan

I am desperately trying to find out what happened to my Great Grandfather-Sydney Adolphous Buchanan. I have the marriage certificate of his marriage to my Great Grandmother Ellen Hallworth (details below) and I believe (although I cannot prove it) that he remmaried/committed bigamy to a Lily Harrison in 1927 (he abandonned my grandmother when she was 4 and the dates tie up).

Details from marriage to Ellen Hallworth:

Sidney Adolphous Buchanan (no father's name)-age 30. ...
Read more : Sydney Adolphous Buchanan | Views : 326 | Replies : 1

A O Charles - Little Boys Home - Rupert Everett

The program on Rupert Everett featured a Little Boys Home. One of the founders was A O Charles. Does anyone know who this was. I think he might have been Albert Onesiphorus Charles the son of Joseph Charles and Ellen Ramshaw. Ellens father was James Ramshaw, a printer in London and in the Farringdon Without group of the stationers company. Alfred was executor of his will. Was Alfred a lawyer? the eldest male grandchild living ...
Read more : A O Charles - Little Boys Home - Rupert Everett | Views : 948 | Replies : 2

BRISTOW William, of Camberwell, in 1861 census - but where?

I am going round in circles trying to locate my 2xgt grandfather William Bristow (c1823, Surrey-1881) in the 1861 census.

In the index, I find him OK, in Camberwell. But when I go to view the original census record, I find him and his family in the transcript at the bottom, but NOT in the original record sheet above it!
Here is the link to the original+transcript:
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=8767&iid=SRYRG9_380_384-0364&fn=William&ln=Bristow&st=r&ssrc=&pid=6489380
(Sorry, I can't work out how to ...
Read more : BRISTOW William, of Camberwell, in 1861 census - but where? | Views : 309 | Replies : 2

Irish certificates

I'm trying to find the cause of death of someone in Ireland in 1903. I've found their details on the Roots Ireland webiste and have looked at the death record which gives date of death, place of death, informant but does give cause of death.

Can anyone tell me a. can I get a death certificate similar to an English death certificate and b. will that show cause of death?

PS I'm still waiting to ...
Read more : Irish certificates | Views : 200 | Replies : 1

Help fininding relative in 1911 census

I'm looking for Winifred Mercy Maud Stovell Born 03 Aug 1906 Brentford Middlesex.
I've checked under odd spelling of surname.

Please can anyone help.

Colin
Read more : Help fininding relative in 1911 census | Views : 312 | Replies : 2

MACPHERSON ELLIOTT / CARL ROSA OPERA Co. c.1920-40 (-ish)

I've seen a few old threads on here about the above but few seem to be resolved. I would like to find out how people got on. I have a GGrandfather who family oral history says sang with CROC. Info on him is not completely concrete, owing to Grandparents both deceased, but I did see a photo when younger of a very distinguished gent (think 'Go Compare Guy' with homburg hat, overcoat draped cape-like over ...
Read more : MACPHERSON ELLIOTT / CARL ROSA OPERA Co. c.1920-40 (-ish) | Views : 305 | Replies : 0

The Ellusive William Fielding

I have been tracing my partner's family tree for some time. Quite early on we discovered that his great grandparents on his mother's line had never married which, in the abscence of a marriage certificate, has made tracing the line further back more difficult. Ironically his great grandmother, who it appears had been married before and ran away with the great grandfather (a marriage certificate I cannot trace, however), has been the easier one to ...
Read more : The Ellusive William Fielding | Views : 824 | Replies : 1

Charles Nicholas Le Feuvre Tailor to Princess Alexandra?

I am trying to find out more about my great grandfather Charles Nicholas Le Feuvre. He was born in Jersey, Channel Islands in 1858. He was born into a family of tailors and dressmakers and by the time he was 13 he too was workiing as a tailor.

As far as we know Charles moved to Paris and did an apprenticeship at the Worth fashion house. From Paris he moved to London and I am ...
Read more : Charles Nicholas Le Feuvre Tailor to Princess Alexandra? | Views : 1146 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, jacketsdiscount, Jethro Tull, Majestic-12 [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 35913 • Total topics 7456 • Total members 26416