It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:57 am

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

elizabeth sophia homerston

I cannot find my grandmother Elizabeth Sophia Homerston on either the 1851 or 1861 census.
She was born in Westminster in 1848 her father Thomas Homerston and her mother Ann Elizabeth Rix Taylor. Her father died in may 1856 and her mother in march 1859. I can find the family in 1841 but not on 1851 census even though her mother and father were still alive. She had a half brother Thomas who is on ...
Read more : elizabeth sophia homerston | Views : 1033 | Replies : 3

Divorce on grounds of mental illness, c.1920

I was wondering if anyone could suggest some lines of enquiry for my research into my great-grandmother. Lillian Maude Bowdler (nee Evans) was born in 1885 in Broadoak, Gloucestershire. She married my great-grandfather, Oliver William Bowdler (born 1883, Littledean, Gloucestershire) in 1908. From that point they proceeded to have nine children, the first of whom was my grandfather, Roland Dennis Bowdler. The last of these would appear to be Norman Bowdler, born 1921, who - ...
Read more : Divorce on grounds of mental illness, c.1920 | Views : 2534 | Replies : 13

John Horne Tooke

I'm certain we are related!

If anyone has heard of him John Horne Tooke (1736-1812) was an English Politician and Philologist.

I've been researching lines in our family for some time now (husband's mostly).

This I knew and found evidence of:

John Horne (1715) -- Elizabeth Horne (1715) (said to have had the same last name??)
(area: Westminster, Ealing, Brentford)
|
|
Elizabeth Horne (1751) -- William Clark (1741-1809)
siblings (Benjamin, Thomas, Mary, Sarah, JOHN, ...
Read more : John Horne Tooke | Views : 3983 | Replies : 4

Research per Surname and area

Would it not be a good idea to have a surname and area forum ?
Ie Bloggs and Devon

or even to sort existing topics into here as well
One never knows if you could find or help someone from this forum
Read more : Research per Surname and area | Views : 547 | Replies : 2

Dorothy Phillips

Hi all,

I have been searching for the exact names of the parents of my 4th great grandmother for some while, but it is proving a bit difficult to find something to really put my mind at rest.
She was born Dorothy Phillips in 1792, St Michael Penkivel, Cornwall to Richard and Elizabeth, she married John Robert Foot, shipwright and she died in 1875 in Hampshire.

All I have, birthwise in St Michael Penkivel to ...
Read more : Dorothy Phillips | Views : 1957 | Replies : 4

Lear family missing in 1841 London

Hi I have the following Lear family who apart from the children's baptisms I cannot trace any other details for including the 1841 census. Their details are as follows:
John Lear born c 1778, married Mary Ann Maxwell (b 1793 St Margarets Westminster) in 1812 at St John the Evangalist, Westminster. They have the following children,
Mary Ann b 1814, bapt 1815 St Margaret Westminster
William b 1817, bapt 1817 St Margaret Westminster
Elizabeth b ...
Read more : Lear family missing in 1841 London | Views : 3581 | Replies : 6

Am I related to the Plantagenet Royal Family?

I've done a bit more research and keep ending up on the same path. Here's a more detailed list of how I got there. Please tell me if this is correct.

7th Great Grandfather was Joseph Samuel Arnold

Joseph Arnold married Hannah Gifford. (daughter of Yelverton Gifford and Anne Northup)

* Anne Northup was the daughter of Stephen Northup, Jr and Mary Thomas.

* Stephen Northup, Jr was the son of Elizabeth Harrington and Stephen ...
Read more : Am I related to the Plantagenet Royal Family? | Views : 3034 | Replies : 4

Death and Burial info help!!!

Hi my name is Lee Henderson and I'm from Sunderland and I'm new to this forum.
Can anyone point me in the right direction
My paternal great great grandfather
Robert Henderson was a former Joiner/Carpenter by trade he was born in a Sunderland in 1853 but family rumour has it
He went over to work on the Panama Canal but never returned it was at the period between 1882-1890 this I assume when the French ...
Read more : Death and Burial info help!!! | Views : 466 | Replies : 1

John Richard Perry b.1834 & Margaret Rennison b. 1836 m. 185

This is my BIG brick wall.
1861 UK census they lived at Bromley, Middlesex where John was a ships carpenter, at this stage they only had one child Francis Frederick Perry age 3 years 6 months.
They immigrated to Australia - not sure where, about 1862 or 1863.
My great grandfather Francis Frederick Perry b. 1857 Southampton married in Goolwa, Sth Australia 1879.
His marriage was advertised in the Adelaide Advertiser that he was the ...
Read more : John Richard Perry b.1834 & Margaret Rennison b. 1836 m. 185 | Views : 2853 | Replies : 3

Why/where did Charles Stewart die 1852, New Orleans?

Hello all,

I Have just joined this forum and I am going to test you all with my biggest brick wall.

My 3x great grandfather, Charles Stewart dissapeared and we never knew what happened to him...until recently. I have read a transciption on his grandparents headstone reading "...Charles..who died at new Orleans October 1852".

Charles was born 1826 Rothes, Moray to James and Isabella Stewart and grew up on a farm in Botriphnie, Banffshire, Scotland. ...
Read more : Why/where did Charles Stewart die 1852, New Orleans? | Views : 1280 | Replies : 7

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], DianaCanada, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 53217 • Total topics 10423 • Total members 31001