It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:18 pm

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

South African Link - Missing

William Bartholomew Kelly c.1854 - c.1901 (Paternal great-grandfather)
Ellen Johanna Kelly c.1886-1964 (Paternal grandmother)

In 1909 William is listed as deceased and profession listed as butcher on the marriage certificate of Ellen Johanna Kelly (his daughter) to Charles William Hart in 1909. Ellen and Charles were married at St Luke the Evangelist, West Kilburn, Middlesex. UK.

According to 1911 UK census Ellen Johanna Kelly (then Hart) is listed as born 1887 in Johannesburg, South Africa, ...
Read more : South African Link - Missing | Views : 854 | Replies : 3

Canada 1921 census

Is it possible to access the 1921 census Canada without spending too much money? I am a 'lapsed' Ancestry user, and have recently received a notification that my father, who went to stay in Canada in 1920 with his parents, is on the Ontario, York South, area of the census. Is there anyway of accessing these details without subscribing once again to Ancestry, and would the basic subscription allow me to see the Canada census?
Read more : Canada 1921 census | Views : 960 | Replies : 6

William Jones 1873-1929

My grandfather is giving me problems. Most of the information I have comes from the 1911 census
that he was born in 1873 in Llandwrog in Caernarvonshire and married my Grandmother in 1907 in Pontypridd. I know that I've got the right family as my Dad and his sister are there. I think I have found him on the 1901 census living as a lodger but can't be sure as birthplace just listed as Caernarvonshire! ...
Read more : William Jones 1873-1929 | Views : 7747 | Replies : 5

Missing from the 1851 census

Hi all, I have been searching for a while for my 4th great grandparents and my 3rd great grandfather (their son) in the 1851 census for a while, but to no avail.
Would there be a reason for this?

I have Thomas Nelson (b. abt 1794, Scotland) his wife Mary (b. abt 1805/6, unk - all I do know is that on the 1841 census, it states the she isn't from the county of Middlesex) ...
Read more : Missing from the 1851 census | Views : 1422 | Replies : 5

Posting Queries

Apologies, but I am going to have a mini rant!

There are a lot of Forum Regulars who freely give of their time to offer advice to newcomers and/or help solve problems -BUT- the following are really annoying.

Queries that only contain certain facts, instead of the whole story, that leads to extra, unnecessary research. This is usually when the post refers to "missing" records. I realise it can be upsetting to think that Great ...
Read more : Posting Queries | Views : 5143 | Replies : 17

Charles Henry Reed 1883 a mystery grandfather from WW1 Charles Henry Reed 1883 a mystery grandfather from WW1

My grandfather is a total mystery, he married my grandmother, Annie Elizabeth Yeatman, in Oxford in 1916.By the time of my father's birth in 1918, he had disappeared, the match had not been approved of by the Yeatman family, she was a cook at the military hospital in Oxford, where they met. She always insisted he went back to his regiment. From my fathers birth cert I discovered his regiment, the Devonshires, then his medal ...
Read more : Charles Henry Reed 1883 a mystery grandfather from WW1 | Views : 2582 | Replies : 10

£10 Poms

I an currently studying for a masters in publishing at UCLan. I am currently in the process of researching, collating and eventually producing a book focusing on the personal accounts and stories of the English et Al migrants who made the transition to Australia under the £10 initiative between 1946-82. If anyone has any personal stories/ accounts (which they feel comfortable being published) please add to this thread, or alternatively contact me at RJBoston @ ...
Read more : £10 Poms | Views : 478 | Replies : 1

ROYNON GEORGE RICHARD MORSE

I. am trying to find the above named after the 1881 census who seems to have disappeared and I also cannot find a death entry for him. He was born in Gloucester in 1850 the son of Richard Morse (1811-1875) and Ann Harris (1817-
In the 1851 census he is living with his parents and sisters Frances, Emily and Maria at 124 Westgate Street, Bristol and in the 1861 census at 118 Westgate Street. In ...
Read more : ROYNON GEORGE RICHARD MORSE | Views : 1731 | Replies : 0

DID MY GREAT GRANDPARENTS MARRY?

My grandfather’s (Edward John Murphy 1884-1954) birth certificate shows his parents as Edward Murphy and Jane Murphy formerly Vincent. The 1891 census shows all 3 living at Stacey Street, St Giles, Holborn; great grandfather born in Dublin and his wife born in Marylebone. The 1901 census shows them living at 25 Betterton Street, St Giles in the Fields – great grandfather is now Edward J and his wife Mary J, again born in Ireland and ...
Read more : DID MY GREAT GRANDPARENTS MARRY? | Views : 1341 | Replies : 0

Marriage of William Tate1851 to 1861

William Tate christened St Leonards Bilston 10 February 1833
In 1841 census living with parents and siblings in Scotland
In 1851 census age 18 at 14 Hall Green Cosely with parents and 3 siblings.
In 1861 not found anywhere. any clues/
between 1851 and 1871 he married Mary Ann? born in Bradley about 1835.
There were 3 marriages of a William Tate and a Mary Ann and I have discounted the one to Mary Ann ...
Read more : Marriage of William Tate1851 to 1861 | Views : 1258 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], ermin79

Statistics

Total posts 52380 • Total topics 10282 • Total members 30836