It is currently Mon May 28, 2018 3:53 am

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Passenger Lists from Ireland to Scotland

Hello I am trying to find out where my great great grandparents came from in Ireland as the first link I have for them is being married in Glasgow in 1883 and they both state they were born in Ireland in the 1891 census. I don't think they came over with their own parents who must have remained in Ireland. Were there passenger lists and are they available online? Thanks
Read more : Passenger Lists from Ireland to Scotland | Views : 930 | Replies : 3

Where was William Cleverly born?

William Cleverly c.1737 – 1799 was a well documented ship builder & Quaker of Rochester, Kent.

I would like help in identifying where and when he was born.

The first official reference I have located for William Cleverly is his marriage to Elizabeth Harrison at St Margaret's, Rochester, Kent, England on 3 August 1757. Soon after the christening of their child William in 1762 at St Margaret's, Rochester, William and Elizabeth became Quakers, and the ...
Read more : Where was William Cleverly born? | Views : 1215 | Replies : 2

Capt. John Worrall of Pownall Hall

John WORRALL was the son of Henry WORRALL (1648-1732) and Mary (1660?-1718). He was born in 1682 in Pownall Hall, Wilmslow, Cheshire and died on 28 September 1760 at Pownall Hall, Wilmslow, Cheshire. He is buried in the parish church at Wilmslow. His headstone reads:
“Here resteth the Body of Captain John Worrall Son of Henry and Mary Worrall of Styal who departed this Life Septr 28th 1760 Aged 77 he servd fifty Years in ...
Read more : Capt. John Worrall of Pownall Hall | Views : 2598 | Replies : 2

Grand Mother

Im trying to find out what happens to my grand mother she was born in drogheda on 11 August 1878 her name was Alice Dignam or Mary Agnes Dignam her birth name was Mary Agnes Dignum on her birth cert. I only have her on the 1901 census for Drogheda Co Louth but after 1901 there is no trace of her and nobody knows were she went to or ended up. She had a son ...
Read more : Grand Mother | Views : 788 | Replies : 4

Born in India

My Grandfather was born in Bangalore India in 1870, I can find no trace of how he came back to England, I've tried incoming passenger lists with no success, he doesn't turn up until the 1900 census so where he was between his birth and 1900 is a mystery. I believe his father was in the army in India. Any ideas how to find him would be most welcome. Thanks in anticipation
Read more : Born in India | Views : 683 | Replies : 3

Pre-1837 English marriages.

Hello all.
I have recently revisited a neglected branch of my father's maternal line and realised that there are a couple of brickwalls caused by marriage records prior to 1837, in my case anyway, not including the names of the fathers. This makes it difficult to progress any further back with any certainty.
My marriages are:-
Joseph Ormandy married Elizabeth Fearon at Sedbergh, Yorkshire, 19th June 1826.
Abraham Jackson married Sarah Bentley at St Chads, ...
Read more : Pre-1837 English marriages. | Views : 2071 | Replies : 5

Henry Mitchell c1879-1957

My wife has hit a Brick Wall with tracing details of the parents of Henry Mitchell c1879-1957, he is found on the 1901 Census DOB 1869? Living at 25 Ailesbury Street, Newport. We have a copy of his marriage certificate to Clara Ricketts Dated 14 Aug 1903, Henry is aged 24 c1879, and we would like to confirm his Birth Place & Parents Names to continue our family history? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Read more : Henry Mitchell c1879-1957 | Views : 1149 | Replies : 2

Schools for the Blind in the early 1900s

I am trying to find information on Schools for the Blind in the Croydon / Surrey area in the early 1900s. One of my relatives was born with very poor sight and I wonder if he may have attended such an institution. I have previously emailed the RNIB National Library Service who I understand hold archive records on schools they have run at different points in history but never received a response. Has anyone else ...
Read more : Schools for the Blind in the early 1900s | Views : 799 | Replies : 3

Nathaniel Toole no Marriage ??

Nathaniel Toole born 13 August 1806 St Martins in the Fields
Daughter Eliza Toole born 24 April 1826 Westminster St Martins in the Field
birth data Family Search lists Father Nathaniel Toole mother Ann Batch C03721-1 films 561145 to 561147 and 933987
Have searched Census 1841 and 1851 for Nathaniel and Ann "X" NO LUCK

Also suggests James Tool (no e) christened 25 April 1821 St Martins again Father Nathaniel mother Anne (with an e) ...
Read more : Nathaniel Toole no Marriage ?? | Views : 3074 | Replies : 14

Manchester Royal Lunatic Asylum archives

Can anyone help, please?

I'm trying to track down information on Lieutenant John Wade WEST,14th Foot Regiment, who entered the Manchester Royal Lunatic Asylum in about 1822 and remained there until his death in 1845.

I've been trying to find out about him this way because I can only find scant evidence of him in the War Office records of army officers at the National Archives, despite an extensive search.

I found on the National ...
Read more : Manchester Royal Lunatic Asylum archives | Views : 1349 | Replies : 4

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], kaylameece82123325

Statistics

Total posts 56091 • Total topics 11413 • Total members 31613