It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:23 am

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

When is it time to stop banging your head

Was wondering if anyone had any other ideas for me regarding the massive brick wall I can't seem to get around. I have been desperately searching a way to find out more about my GGrandfather William George Adolphus Burwell or his birth name is Adolphus Anderson White. He was born to Elizabeth White at the Lying in Hospital in York Road in 1870. I have obtained a copy of his birth cert which only lists ...
Read more : When is it time to stop banging your head | Views : 1931 | Replies : 15

Harriet Whatmore, 1816 to 1900 Harriet Whatmore, 1816 to 1900

Looking for my 2nd G Grandmother Harriet Whatmore and have been for many years; born about 1816 possibly in Hampshire, England.
Married James Grunsell at St Marys Church, Micheldever, Hampshire, England on 13 Sep 1834. I have found 9 children for them.

I have all census entrys for them in Micheldever Hampshire. Harriett Died in Sep 1900. I cant find a christening despite going to the Hampshire records office so have no idea who her ...
Read more : Harriet Whatmore, 1816 to 1900 | Views : 1074 | Replies : 10

Richard Evans, Coventry & Wales

My friends Gt Grandfather Richard Evans is proving very difficult to locate, mainly due to the common name, however someone may be able to guide us where we can look next.
Two sources of family information indicate that the family of Richard Evans came from the village of Bala in Wales.
Our first definate record of him was in 1879 when he was aged 38 (b1840) a bachelor and married Sarah Holmes Nee Ward in ...
Read more : Richard Evans, Coventry & Wales | Views : 2022 | Replies : 8

James Summerfield 1888-1917

Hi

The following is the information from CWGC. I can tally all of the information given except for James's mothers name. It lists his parents as Robert and Elizabeth Summerfield. In 1878 Robert Summerfield married Ansley Ashby in Horsham and they lived at Woodside, Roffey, Horsham according to the census. They had 9 children, James being the 5th. Ansley died in 1912 in Horsham and Robert in 1937. Robert's will gives no further information and ...
Read more : James Summerfield 1888-1917 | Views : 1388 | Replies : 5

Scottish Ancestry - Thomas Dick

I wonder if anyone has any ideas about how I could find an ancestor, my 4 times great grandfather Thomas Dick? The family story is that the Dick family came from Scotland and I believe that Thomas might be the one who came from there to England. He married Jane Taylor, daughter of Robert and Grace Taylor in Embleton parish church, Northumberland on 15th March 1759. Jane was baptised on 17th March 1729 in the ...
Read more : Scottish Ancestry - Thomas Dick | Views : 2341 | Replies : 7

John Haliburton

John Haliburton was my 4xgreat grandfather, born near Edinburgh in 1779 but moved to Lancashire by 1811 as an agent to Earl Balcarres at Preston. He was a coal merchant and iron founder by trade. He died in 1856 at Preston but did not leave a will.
However, a letter of admon was granted in 1873 (yes, 17 years later ;) ) to two members of a ...
Read more : John Haliburton | Views : 1739 | Replies : 8

Brick Wall

I have hit a brick wall with my family research and hope someone can be of help.
My Great Grandfather, Henry Howell, is cited on the 1851 Census as being an Iron Moulder, Born Bristol c1821, died Gloucester 1883. However, when he married Harriett Halliwell (1831-1903) from Stroud, Glos later that year at the Painswick Independent Chapel, he is named John - and I cannot imagine why this should be unless the minister was 'in ...
Read more : Brick Wall | Views : 1153 | Replies : 5

Ellen Whittam nee Heinson/William Whittam

Need some experienced geneological brain to help:

Looking for Ellen Whittam born abt 1871 in the censuses and after the 1891 Census for which she appears with my GT GT Grandfather William Whittam (born 1870 Shoreditch) and Emma Whittam born 1890 she disappears....I have found a death entry in Sept 1892 aged 22.

A William Whittam reappears in the 1911 Census married to Ada Gilkes for 15 years.
Is is possible Ellen died and William ...
Read more : Ellen Whittam nee Heinson/William Whittam | Views : 484 | Replies : 2

William Henry Stevens

I am trying to find the circumstances of the death of my Great Grandfather, William Henry Stevens who was born at Denham, Buckinghamshire in November 1847. He married Alice Ayling Taylor in April 1872 at West Brompton, Middlesex. His occupation was Boot Salesman and he was living at High Street, Kensington at the time. Their only child (my Grandfather) George Ayling Stevens was born in May 1878 at King Street West, Hammersmith. We were told ...
Read more : William Henry Stevens | Views : 1766 | Replies : 1

Genes Reunited Website Rant!

I've had my famiy tree on the Genes Reunited Website for a number of years but if I was starting now I'd almost certainly put it on Ancestry.

Am I the only person to be getting more and more fraustrated by the service from GR over the past week or so? The site keeps crashing, info I think has been saved disappears and in general it's cumbersome to use.

A message posted on their Community ...
Read more : Genes Reunited Website Rant! | Views : 8814 | Replies : 11

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 46194 • Total topics 9866 • Total members 29824