It is currently Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:06 pm

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Missing London marriage 1856

On the NSW Australia birth certificate of Florence Lee, 23 March 1861, her parents are listed as Charles and Sophia (nee Byles) Lee, married in London 16 November 1856 (informant Sophia Lee). Florence's older sisters are listed as Ann Sophia (3.5yrs) and Emilie (2).
Ann and Emilie always told descendants they were born in England, father was a compositor for "London Daily Times" and that he died at sea (I have not found any primary ...
Read more : Missing London marriage 1856 | Views : 2831 | Replies : 12

About indentures

Hi
I have found a newspaper article about my ancestor Richard Jones Derham. He lived in Bristol between 1809 and 1861 approx. he was a master cooper for a number of years and appeared to be quite successful. However in 1861 there was a notice in the Bristol Mercury stating the following
Notice is hereby given that by an Indenture dated 2 October 1861 made between Richard Jones Derham of No 46 Redcliffe Street in ...
Read more : About indentures | Views : 515 | Replies : 1

Orphanage/School help

My grandfather was orphaned in 1913, aged 11 and was, we are told, placed in an institution/school. He lived in the Lambeth area of London and we think he may have been in the Lambeth Norwood Workhouse School. I'd like to find out where he was placed if possible and then how he came to be sent to Cornwall to work from there.

He was sent to work on a farm, later met and married ...
Read more : Orphanage/School help | Views : 391 | Replies : 1

Richard Jones and a first marriage

I’m trying to help someone with a solid brick wall, and with her permission, would be grateful for any help members can offer.
She can’t find the first marriage of her great-grandfather Richard Jones, born c1881 in Stockton on Tees, Durham. (His father was also Richard Jones, described as a ‘puddler’ on the 1891 census for Stockton (41 Waverley Street) and born 1843 in Wales, place not known.)
In the 1911 census for Pendleton, Salford ...
Read more : Richard Jones and a first marriage | Views : 749 | Replies : 4

Great great Uncle William

Hi there,

I have a picture of my Great Great Uncle William born 1892 in Moggerhanger Bedfordshire.

I've found out he most probably was a policeman from the uniform he was wearing.

Does anyone know where I can go to find information about his possible service in the police force? I assume he would have been a policeman maybe in Biggleswade or Sandy?

Thanks in advance.
Read more : Great great Uncle William | Views : 3073 | Replies : 2

Criminals and Punishment

I have discovered that William Stanbrook (b 1800 Berkshire) was charged with Violating the Game Laws (Poaching) in 1824.
He is apparently shown on the Criminal Records as having been sentenced to 7 years Transportation in April of that year, however, it seems he may not have been transported, as his name again appears in the same month and, alongside it, the comment 'TRANSFER TO HARDY". Could anyone throw some light on this for me? ...
Read more : Criminals and Punishment | Views : 1169 | Replies : 7

Much confusion re marriage of ancestors

Recently obtained the marriage certificate of two ancestors, William Bowron and Jane Allen. According to this document, they married on the 20th June 1842 at the parish church in Paddington. This causes some confusion, as on the 1841 census (taken a year before this event) the two are in the same household and Jane's surname is already given as Bowron. I am 100% certain that both these records show the same people. Any thoughts on ...
Read more : Much confusion re marriage of ancestors | Views : 730 | Replies : 2

Emma Caroline and George Henry Kearns

Emma Caroline Kearns was born about 1842 in Westminster. She married Michael Manvell in 1861. I've got lots of info from various census returns and know their children's names/dates but until I find her baptism and can be certain who her parents were, I don't know whereabouts she fits, though I know she fits in my tree somewhere! (I can't find her marriage certificate either to confirm her father's name/occupation.) Her parents might be Edward ...
Read more : Emma Caroline and George Henry Kearns | Views : 1357 | Replies : 3

Notations in Burials Notations in Burials

Just looking at images of burials in Cheshire, 1854 - in the margins of the book are noted next to each name either Old, New or Free. I haven't come across this before - I thought perhaps a reference to the sections in the churchyard?
Read more : Notations in Burials | Views : 459 | Replies : 2

Walker/Watson ,Wilson, Robertson,from Scotland

Is there anyone out there who may be able to help with the following people who were my husband's grandparents? what little info I have is from a cousin of my husband.
Would be most grateful for any assistance. have just started and already hitting brick walls. Grandparents:
David Ogilvie Walker, B: 21Oct 1887 @4 Dallfields,Dundee,Angus,Scotland M: Mary Stewart Walker (nee)WatsonB: 3rd Jan,1891@ New Brick Row,Cowdenbeath Fife.No details of date of Marriage.They had 5 children: ...
Read more : Walker/Watson ,Wilson, Robertson,from Scotland | Views : 1646 | Replies : 3

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], ciderdrinker, Google Adsense [Bot], JaneyH, Yahoo [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 43720 • Total topics 8672 • Total members 29364