It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:33 am

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Missing relation - the story so far. Missing relation - the story so far.

Hi folks,

I have a burning question about a relative of mine. Frankly I have no idea how to progress it and wondered if anyone has any bright ideas.

My late Dad's half sister Joyce was married with a small child when she walked out on them for another man. For my Dad's family this was scandalous. Although I never knew my paternal grandfather I know he was strict with a strong moral code. My ...
Read more : Missing relation - the story so far. | Views : 192 | Replies : 1

Army Pensioner Records Army Pensioner Records

Hi folks,

I don't have a lot of experience with army records, being from Sheffield my grandfathers stayed put and helped the war effort by working in the steel industry.

I have come across a grand uncle who died age 45 and was a steel slinger. Occupation also states in brackets Army Pensioner on the death certificate.

It would be great to find out more, can anyone point me in the right direction?
Sorry to ...
Read more : Army Pensioner Records | Views : 526 | Replies : 6

Becoming a Scottish Minister Becoming a Scottish Minister

My 3 x great grandfather, I have discovered, was a Minister in the established Church of Scotland in the late 18th /early 19th century.
His father was a humble tradesman - a shoemaker.
What I'd like to know is:
(a) How difficult (and how common) was it for the sons of tradesmen to become clergymen?
(b) Were there strict criteria for admittance (e.g. University education, letter of patronage, etc) and would there have been a ...
Read more : Becoming a Scottish Minister | Views : 397 | Replies : 4

Finding White Star Line  and other liners employees Finding White Star Line and other liners employees

My Grandfather William Crane was a Baker on ships that went to South Africa from England prior to WW1. I heard rumour that it was the White Star Line. Although I am able to find passenger lists, I am not sure how to research crew lists? Can anyone help?
Read more : Finding White Star Line and other liners employees | Views : 1642 | Replies : 3

Marriage Banns

Does anybody know whether or not marriage banns hold more information than a parish marriage record, please?

I already have a copy of a marriage record from 1759, where the husband comes from outside the parish where the marriage took place. I have just discovered that the banns were also read in his home parish and wondered if it is worth spending £5.00 to obtain a copy of the banns. I am hoping someone else ...
Read more : Marriage Banns | Views : 568 | Replies : 6

uniforms WW1

I have a really really bad photo of my grandfather and family he is in unform, date must be around 1915 as we are sure it is my father sitting on his mothers lap. No cap, the only id I can see is that at the cuff end of his jacket there seems to be 3 stripes, like a sargeant, but possibly not in the right place. I do know from records that he served ...
Read more : uniforms WW1 | Views : 573 | Replies : 6

Elias Carpenter Elias Carpenter

HELP!! Trying to demolish the wall I have hit! Would welcome ANY information regarding my great x4 grandfather, Elias Carpenter. He was a strong supporter of Joanna Southcott, until they had a 'falling out" in the late 1700's. I have copies of articles etc.. in relation to his association with Ms Southcott but really need personal information on himself and his immediate family. He was born 1753 but where and on what date in 1753? ...
Read more : Elias Carpenter | Views : 897 | Replies : 3

Albert Miller Co Durham/Scotland

Hi all
Wondered if anyone could help, I am a bit stuck with this branch of my extended family.

Teresa Smith b1892 Darlington died 1950 Dumfries, Scotland and Albert Miller b1891 ?Darlington death date unknown.
They married on 12 July 1952 in Darlington. At some point after this obviously moved to Scotland for some reason. Albert was a slaters labourer at time of marriage.

To further my research I am trying to find out more ...
Read more : Albert Miller Co Durham/Scotland | Views : 750 | Replies : 5

Marriage of John Thompson to Elizabeth Askew

Dear Readers

I would like to know if you or your Readers could help me with a 6 year hunt for the Marriage of John Thompson to Elizbeth Askew from around 1820's. I have traced the Family tree back to the Monkwearmouth Area of Durham, England and their 1st child i know of was a Mary Ann Thompson born 1822 and Baptised Monkwearmouth St Peter`s on 17 March 1822. they had another four son's Robert ...
Read more : Marriage of John Thompson to Elizabeth Askew | Views : 1161 | Replies : 4

Ayliffe White - died 1826 - Wiltshire

Help!

My 4x great grandmother, Mary de Lyon Stump (nee White) was supposed to inherit substantial property from her late father's childless cousin, Ayliffe White, who died in 1826. However, Ayliffe White appears to have signed his estate over to several third parties who seemingly knew things about him that he wanted to keep hidden.

According to the 1852 summary of a case made before the Lord Chancellor Lord St. Leonards on 11th December 1852, ...
Read more : Ayliffe White - died 1826 - Wiltshire | Views : 302 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Sylcec, Yahoo [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 32264 • Total topics 6866 • Total members 24352