It is currently Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:33 pm

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Ship's steward

On my uncle's death certificate his occupation is given as ship's bedroom steward. I do not think he was in the Royal Navy at the time of his death and I wondered whether anyone had any suggestions as to how I can go about finding which ships he served on?

There is a slight mystery as I have a record for him which was found for me by someone who went to Kew, but the ...
Read more : Ship's steward | Views : 1284 | Replies : 3

Act of bravery - awarded the OBE, 1918

My grandfather, Frank Charles Frazer was awarded the OBE in January 1918. I have a snippet cut from a newspaper, obviously from a list of people awarded OBEs, that says 'LOST THE SIGHT OF AN EYE enabling 600 of his fellow workers to get clear Frank Frazer prevented an explosion in a filling factory at great personal risk, though partially blinded and suffering great pain from an explosiion'
He was living in Kilburn, London. I ...
Read more : Act of bravery - awarded the OBE, 1918 | Views : 1093 | Replies : 2

John Asquith - Bedale - N Yorks. Brickwall!! Help!

My 3x Gt.Gfthr was John Asquith who married Ellen (Eleanor) Barnett on 23 November 1803 at St Gregory's, Bedale I have the marriage record from Northallerton Record Office and it says that it was made by Banns but there was no record of the Banns kept and there is no reference to any other family of either of them.
I have no idea where either of them was born or died. Their daughter Eleanor my ...
Read more : John Asquith - Bedale - N Yorks. Brickwall!! Help! | Views : 1433 | Replies : 4

Aberdare/Bothwell - Steel works link?

Hi - my 3xg.grandfather William Morgan, his wife Rachael and their family moved from Aberdare in the Rhonda Valley, Wales to Bothwell in Lanarkshire, Scotland sometime between 1841 & 1847. William & his sons worked in the steel works in Bothwell - it is possible William worked in the steel works in Aberdare. Did employers move their staff from one location to another? Is anyone aware of a link between Aberdare & Bothwell that may ...
Read more : Aberdare/Bothwell - Steel works link? | Views : 630 | Replies : 1

Baptism record & militia note

Does anyone know why a baptism record in 1793, would have a note (apparently in the same hand) at the end saying "(Militia X 1811)"? The record is in Muirkirk, in Ayrshire, Scotland. As 1811 is 8 years after the baptism, I was wondering if it could be a subsequent note that the father was killed in the militia in 1811 & made so that the family could receive poor relief. Any ideas?
Read more : Baptism record & militia note | Views : 394 | Replies : 2

Edmundson/Adamson - County Down, N.Ireland

Hi - one of my ancestors (and subsequently his wife & children) from Banbridge in County Down, Northern Ireland used both the names Adamson and Edmundson at different times in their lives (mid 1800s to early 1900s) with decendants of the family bearing both names. Does anyone have any ideas why? I can't find a baptism for this ancestor, but on his marriage certificate in 1853 his name is given as John Edmundson, but his ...
Read more : Edmundson/Adamson - County Down, N.Ireland | Views : 347 | Replies : 0

Marriage John Bushell Brock and Lucy c.1907

If anyone can find this marriage for me I would be very grateful.

I have the following info. which I am certain of.

1901 John was boarding at 5 Elwell Rd Clapham and was a Horsekeeper (Railways)

1911 John and Lucy were living 56 Lavender Hill Battersea. John's occupation is given as "carman forage stores". Lucy is aged 42 (1869) and was born in Ashford Kent and they had been married for 4 years (1907). ...
Read more : Marriage John Bushell Brock and Lucy c.1907 | Views : 2622 | Replies : 6

Finding adoption records

I am looking into the welsh side of my family and my grandfather knows one of his uncles didnt have any children of his own with his wife but they did have 1 adopted daughter. this was after 1911 as shes not on the census and this is a picture of her with her adopted parents. Anyone know from her clothes when this might have been taken?..... is there anywhere you can go to research ...
Read more : Finding adoption records | Views : 544 | Replies : 3

4th Great Grandmother, possible mystery solved...

Hi all,

Up until today, I had been on a very long search for one of my 4th great grandmothers, with very little success, but with a nice little find on familysearch and a small amount of detective/intuition work, I believe I might have cracked it!
Basically, my 4th great grandfather, Abraham Snow (b.1812) to Thomas Snow and Mary Sangster was married to Ann Elizabeth Delamore (dates given on census' are 1818, Haymarket), I found ...
Read more : 4th Great Grandmother, possible mystery solved... | Views : 746 | Replies : 4

Transcript help please

The attached photo is an extract from the parish record of St Johns Catholic Church Easingwold. It relates to the marriage of Anthony Gallagher and Ellen McIntyre who married on 24th July 1875. We cannot decifer the word above Ireland. Has anyone got any clues please?
Read more : Transcript help please | Views : 341 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Registered users: AntonyM, Bing [Bot], coopernicola, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], kimberrywickham, Yahoo [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 48051 • Total topics 9062 • Total members 30105