It is currently Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:54 am

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Ater the Workhouse Fairman brothers

My grandfather James Fairman born in 1892, and his brothers Alfred George 1889, and Thomas Peter 1899, were in the worhouse in Hanwell Middlesex after their father died in 1900.....
I found them altogether on the 1901 census
My grandfather was married in 1918 and I have his marriage certificate
Were there any records of when and where they went, when the time came from them to leave
Any information on them would be much ...
Read more : Ater the Workhouse Fairman brothers | Views : 1180 | Replies : 4

James Harris(s)

I am having a problem with James Harris(s). Any help appreciated
(1) no birth cert or info (Sandburgh road, Holloway about 1869)1901 census has possibly been misheard and could be Sonderberg road Holloway according to Islington Islington Local History Centre.
(2) no marriage cert or info (could be that they were not married)
(3) no death cert or info

To put everyone in the picture.

Beatrice Matilda Mitchell (I have the birth cert). Vol 1a ...
Read more : James Harris(s) | Views : 2152 | Replies : 2

Help tracing Cove Family warwickshire Help tracing Cove Family warwickshire

I have a Joseph Cove baptised 1778 All Saints West Bromwich son of Job and Ann he married Sarah Lois St Phillips Birmingham In 1803 yet only child have found for them is Henry born 1813 which on census shows birthplace as Westminster he married Mary Ann Locker in St Phillips 1836 and died West Bromwich 1869 have been going round in circles trying to find any other children so any help greatly appreciated.
Read more : Help tracing Cove Family warwickshire | Views : 1108 | Replies : 4

Mary Bell Barge Alex On Dirn

Can anyone help me in researching this vessel please?? My ancestor, Edward Quinn (b.1835), his wife Mary and their first born Edward Burn (given as Brim) Quinn were on board it at the time of the 1861 census. The ship was in port at North Shields, River Tyne. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Read more : Mary Bell Barge Alex On Dirn | Views : 1203 | Replies : 0

Hello Everyone

Christina Dorothy Parmiter born 1886 a-j Southampton 2c, 27

William Hand bn 19 September 1882 o-d WestDerby 8b, 459, he was born in Bootle Lancashire.

Christina and William married 14 June 1910 St Marks Woolston Hants

All of the above is fact. My problem is mainly with William and his family.

From the wedding record William's Father is also William and is listed as a seaman. William himself is a marine engineer.

From ...
Read more : Parmiter/Hand | Views : 2851 | Replies : 8

My Brickwall - Armstrongs My Brickwall - Armstrongs

I have been researching my family history for going on 10 years now but have still failed to knock down a significant brick wall. My great great grandfather, William Armstrong, was born in Roxburghshire, Scotland in 1835, son of William Armstrong and Susan Tait. I have subesquently found William and Susan in various censuses and from these have established that they were both born around 1814-1815 in Scotland. This is where I am stumped. ...
Read more : My Brickwall - Armstrongs | Views : 997 | Replies : 1

matilda turner 1864 southwark

hi readers yes l have another brickwall not serious but a loose end ;) matilda is daughter of william henry turner and sarah turner nee slade living in rotherhithe 1881 census,alais after this disappears,honest l have tried all angles and nothing appears,so if anybody can put me back on track a 1000 thank yous ;) edward turner
Read more : matilda turner 1864 southwark | Views : 1230 | Replies : 9

great grandmothers birth cant be found - help please great grandmothers birth cant be found - help please

my grandmother was born in Gloucestershire on 11 July 1888 her name was Winifred Clara but not sure of her surname as a few years later her mother married a Clements so her name became Winifred Clara Clements. Her mothers maiden name was Meek. i cant find her birth on either surname. on her wedding certificate she is called 'Minnie Clements' NOT Winifred Clara Clements. My mother (her grandaughter) always remembers her being called Minnie ...
Read more : great grandmothers birth cant be found - help please | Views : 1597 | Replies : 6

Mary Ann Gilbert

Hi all,

I have been having a total headache looking for details of the birth of Mary Ann Gilbert, my Great, Great, Great Grandmother.

She was married to John Stewart Wright (1809, Canongate, Edinburgh - John Stuart Wright on record, but 'Stewart' was literally the only name I could find and I'm sure I have the right man) the St Marylebone area in 1836, but on later census' it says that she was born around ...
Read more : Mary Ann Gilbert | Views : 3023 | Replies : 5

Transportation to Australia

Is there anyone that can help with trying to trace a distant relative who was transported to Tasmania in 1847 on transport ship Asia. Her name was Mary Gough and I have a brief resume of her up to 1853, see below, when she was bound for Melbourne but after that I have drawn a blank so any help would be appreciated

First, a brief transcription of the less legible parts of Mary's conduct record: ...
Read more : Transportation to Australia | Views : 1156 | Replies : 3

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]

Total posts 45327 • Total topics 9725 • Total members 29720