It is currently Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:49 am

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Mary Francis, died aged 110

Can anyone help me establish when Mary Francis, who died on 17th September 1890 (in Cornelly, Bridgend, Glamorgan), was born. She was born in Llansamlet, Glamorgan, and a newspaper report at the time of her death states that she was born on 15th August 1780. However, the census from 1841 - 1881 records her birth as 1786, and she gave birth to a daughter in 1832, aged 52?

Thank you,

Mansel
Read more : Mary Francis, died aged 110 | Views : 999 | Replies : 2

Bartholomew Curtain 1849-19??

I am trying to find out what happened to my GG Grandfather, Bartholomew Curtain. He was born in Holborn in 1849 but emigrated to America in 1889 (living first in the US and later in Ontario, Canada). He did make at least one visit home (to see his family in Nottingham) in 1919 but after this there is no record of him and I assume that he died in Canada. Does anyone know how I ...
Read more : Bartholomew Curtain 1849-19?? | Views : 1770 | Replies : 6

Henry John Beamish

I'm looking for the birth record of a Henry John (or John Henry) Beamish my GG Grandfather born around 1857 in the London area

I have his Wedding Certificate in 1894 where he gives his age as 37, a widower, occupation Mechanic, living in Underwood Street, Spitalfields. His father was Thomas Beamish also a Mechanic. I've used all the information from this certificate including the witnesses just in case they were neighbours but to no ...
Read more : Henry John Beamish | Views : 536 | Replies : 2

PASSENGER LISTS (INCOMING)and DEATH AT SEA

I am seeking help with clarification of a Passenger List (unable to read some of the hadwritten notes).
RMS KENILWORTH CASTLE - date of Arrival: 21 October 1929 at Southampton.
Ref: BT 26 Piece 918 Folio 15.
Passenger 12 : SMITH, STANLEY aged 27.
Can anyone please help identify his proposed address in England and his Occupation.

Family lore states he was born in India and died at sea en route to England when he ...
Read more : PASSENGER LISTS (INCOMING)and DEATH AT SEA | Views : 630 | Replies : 3

Missing Leckie Ancestor

Brothers Robert and Daniel Leckie (parents Mary Ann Wilson and Robert Leckie) were born in Glasgow in the mid-1880's. Both parents died young and the brothers placed with Quarriers Homes at Bridge of Weir. As a teenager, Daniel worked for a Miss Hobkirk on the South Burn farm near Lockerbie, served in the army, married Janet Henderson and settled in Clydebank. The family had no further contact with Robert, now Daniel's last surviving son (in ...
Read more : Missing Leckie Ancestor | Views : 1334 | Replies : 6

Warrener/Waters/Lumpkin?

My great-grandfather, Charles Edward Brummitt Warrener, was born in Boston, Lincolnshire in October 1870 to William Brummitt Warrener and Mary Ann Warrener. I've found what I think is the correct marriage for William and Mary and got the certificate (18 Feb 1856, Louth, Lincolnshire). Mary is shown as Mary Ann Waters, a spinster from Louth but no father is named for her. I've also got the birth certificate for Charles Edward Brummitt Warrener and this ...
Read more : Warrener/Waters/Lumpkin? | Views : 1180 | Replies : 4

1911 Census

I came across something unusual today when looking at the 1911 Census.

A distant relative states he has been married for 28 years. There were 4 children born to the marriage, of whom 3 are still living and 1 has died. He then goes on to name all 4 children, including the son who had died aged 4. I have not, as yet, traced the birth and death of this son.

He listed his married ...
Read more : 1911 Census | Views : 403 | Replies : 3

Help Please

Hi,
I hope someone out there can help me. I am trying to trace my great, great grandfather, Joseph Wyatt. I know that he was born in 1808 and married Sophia Cooper in 1836. I have found them on the 1851 census on which he states that he was born in St Giles, London. He died in 1858. I cannot find them on an 1841 census. I am trying to find his birth. So far ...
Read more : Help Please | Views : 578 | Replies : 2

JOHN MCCARTHY, GUNNER 41449, RGA

I am trying to trace a my grandmothers father, John McCarthy. My grandmother was illegitimate and there is no father listed on her birth certificate. The information we have comes from the Children's home she was placed when she was born. I have a Medal card for John McCarthy, but don't know how how to trace him. We beleve he received the Victory and British Medals and a Star. The medal card has 15 written ...
Read more : JOHN MCCARTHY, GUNNER 41449, RGA | Views : 351 | Replies : 1

Help with Robert Liddle/Liddell

Can anybody help?
I am trying to trace my wife's grandfather.He was born around 1868
The facts we do know is he married Eleanor Scott in Elham Kent 1904.They had 4 children,Robert born 1905,Eleanor or Nellie born 1906 both appeared on 1911 Census under the spelling Liddle.They moved to Manchester and had 2 more children Frank and Ivy who have always gone by the spelling Liddell.
Frank is my wife's father.
We understand Robert died ...
Read more : Help with Robert Liddle/Liddell | Views : 2424 | Replies : 12

Login  •  Register

Registered users: aspicer, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 38207 • Total topics 7825 • Total members 27549