It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:53 am

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Apprentice records - Middlesex

According tot he 1842 census Richard Brock was a goldsmith. Richard was born in abt. 1788 and lived in the Stepney area. I was wondering if there would be apprenticeship records. His son Robert became a silversmith.
Thank you for any help and suggestions. Living in Canada I hope this will be something I can check without having to hire anyone!
Patricia
Read more : Apprentice records - Middlesex | Views : 162 | Replies : 1

Trying to locate will or associated papers

I have recently learnt that my late father's cousin died in 1988, but despite locating the death certificate I have not been able to find a will or other associated paperwork. My father was possibly one of his cousin's heirs, because there is no known marriage or children and no one else seems to know anything because my father's generation has virtually passed away now. A probate search for 1988 to 1991 inclusive has not ...
Read more : Trying to locate will or associated papers | Views : 300 | Replies : 3

Romany Gypsies

I am trying to research my Grandads side of the family. Only problm is that once we get to his father we get stuck as his family were Romany gypsies with the surname of Hearn. Obviously I know of the Gypsy King Thomas Hearn (around in the 1600s) but just because he has the same surname does not mean we are related.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas on how I can try an ...
Read more : Romany Gypsies | Views : 2545 | Replies : 4

Christiana and Kate BURGESS

Hi, Im trying to find info on Christiana Morton BURGESS, born 1919 in Maltby Yorkshire.

I have her birth cert showing her mother is Kate Burgess nee Downes, and Bertram Burgess.
Bertram died in 1921, but I cannot find any listings for Kate or Christiana after this date. No Marriages, deaths or passenger listings.

Where should I look next?
Read more : Christiana and Kate BURGESS | Views : 341 | Replies : 3

John Shepherd birth/baptism c.1782 Royal Navy & Marines

I am researching John SHEPHERD who was in the Royal Navy then an officer in the Royal Marines. HIs burial record (Alpheton, Suffolk) states he was 33 years and 8 months when he died on 5 November 1815 which gives a birth year of March 1782.

His first mention in the Royal Navy records showed he joined HMS Defiance on 2 October 1794 and his age at time of entry into the ship was 14, ...
Read more : John Shepherd birth/baptism c.1782 Royal Navy & Marines | Views : 330 | Replies : 2

Stedman/Steadman in Wales

I've just discovered my husband's great-grandfather, John Davies, whose mother was a widow when she married his father. Her previous married name was Stedman/Stadman/Steadman, I imagine, as she has a son with that surname quite a bit older than her Davies children. In the 1861 census for Cardiganshire, she is listed as being a widow and a grocer, with a few children and her mother, Sarah Williams. In 1871 she is married to John Davies, ...
Read more : Stedman/Steadman in Wales | Views : 420 | Replies : 8

Family Tree Software? Family Tree Software?

Looking for family tree software as my family tree has out grown the free versions. Can anyone recommend a good one to buy that's not too complicated and doesn't constantly ask you too join an online genealogy website. Just downloaded the 30day trial version of Family Historian 4.0 but not sure if this is the best one to buy?
Hope somebody out there can help.
Nadia :
Read more : Family Tree Software? | Views : 312 | Replies : 4

French Passports in the 19th Century

Does anybody know how to find out about passports appled for or issued during the 19th century, in France?
I have been trying to locate my husband's gggrandfather (Jean Baptiste Vincent) who appears not to have been born, married or died in the UK - despite having been named as the husband of an englishwoman (Isabella Ann nee Thompson) and father to 3 sons (all baptised in London) - as both servant and/or courier.
A ...
Read more : French Passports in the 19th Century | Views : 1096 | Replies : 9

bigamist marriage

Hi

I have been trying to trace my grandmother's father for some time, her father was a bigamist. I had been unable to find a birth record for her until a faimily member advised me that she used her middle name as her christian name on everything including marriage & death records. I now have the birth cert for my grandmother Edith Adelaide KIng born liverpool 1921 which does give her father name as William ...
Read more : bigamist marriage | Views : 232 | Replies : 1

Missing Death Certificate / Burial

Hello, I have been researching my family for a few years now, but am totally stumped with the following problem! Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

SAMUEL ROSE was born on the 6th Jan 1840 in Trowbridge, Wilts to John Rose and Mary Warren. Samuel married MARTHA ADAMS on the 10th October 1859 at the Baptist Chapel, Melksham, Wilts.

Samuel & Martha had a son called George William Rose who was born on the 1st ...
Read more : Missing Death Certificate / Burial | Views : 561 | Replies : 3

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], gjones6239, Google [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, Majestic-12 [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 28254 • Total topics 6231 • Total members 22668