It is currently Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:16 pm

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Spanish Birth

Where would I be able to trace or obtain a Birth Certificate of a Harold Edwin Louis Bull born 1899 in Spain, not sure where about in Spain, the family William Archibald Bull, Annie Jane Bull and two daughters moved to Spain with the company he worked for, Annie had Harold Edwin Louis Bull while living there, got home sick and they all returned home. I know by Baptism Records that Harold was born on ...
Read more : Spanish Birth | Views : 672 | Replies : 1

Frank Edward SMITH c.1902 - c.1980

Frank (Francis) Edward Smith was my father's half brother. I found out about him at the time of his death, which was roughly 1980, just before my father died. In a throw way line my father said "I found out my brother died today", and I have been looking for information about Frank since. My father did not seem to know much about him.
I believe him to have been the illegitimate son of Rose ...
Read more : Frank Edward SMITH c.1902 - c.1980 | Views : 5219 | Replies : 4

Swain Family, Branston Leicestershire

Hello, I was wondering if anyone can help me.

I have got back with my family research to a marriage in Branston Leicestershire in 1816 Between my 4x Great Granddad William Swain and Eleanor Johnson.

From searches on the internet I know they had 8 children 4 of which died young.

I can't find any more information on anyone else other than my 3x Great Granddad and one sister.

On the marriage record I have ...
Read more : Swain Family, Branston Leicestershire | Views : 1318 | Replies : 5

baptism help

Am trying to locate the baptism/birthplace of Thomas Harrison born c. 1787 in Yorkshire. He married Ann Sanderson in Bubwith on 19th Feb 1810 (witnesses offer no clues and both of the parish) and they had a number of children all baptised at Bubwith, beginning with Mary in 1810. Thomas & Ann can be found living close by in Harlthorpe throughout the census returns 1841-1861.

Thomas' age on the census, and at death in ...
Read more : baptism help | Views : 1583 | Replies : 13

Josiah Branchflower, Taunton 1801

Here's the last one from our April 'You're the expert' section. Again, if anyone has any leads or suggestions we'd be very grateful.

My 2x great grandfather, Josiah Branchflower, was born in Taunton, Somerset, around 1801. He married Elizabeth Littlejohn at St Mary Magdalene, Taunton, on 2 December 1821 but I can’t find his baptism.
I’ve discovered a Sarah, daughter of William and Mary in Staplegrove, near Taunton, and a William who might be a ...
Read more : Josiah Branchflower, Taunton 1801 | Views : 833 | Replies : 3

George Rushworth: Merchant Navy engineer in 1940s

Here's yet another query from our 'You're the expert page' in April. If anyone's got any leads it would be much appreciated:

My dad, George Herbert Rushworth, was an engineer in the Merchant Navy. I would love to find anyone who knows where he worked, knows the name of the ship he served on or went to sea with him. The only ship I can find was the Merchant Prince in 1947.
Sometime in 1943-44 ...
Read more : George Rushworth: Merchant Navy engineer in 1940s | Views : 639 | Replies : 3

Looking for Ann Gent born c1830 in Bromley, Kent

Here's another query from our April issue 'You're the expert' page. Any help with this would be much appreciated:
Ann Gent was born about 1830 in Bromley, Kent. She had three illegitimate children: William George, born 6 June 1853 in Beckenham, Fanny born 18 October 1857 in Greenwich and Mary Ann who was born 4 July 1863 in Farnborough, Kent. I’ve traced William George Gent but I can’t find his mother Ann in any census ...
Read more : Looking for Ann Gent born c1830 in Bromley, Kent | Views : 1529 | Replies : 3

Star Corinthians football team, East London

Hello WDYTYA? Forum genies, we haven't had any response from our 'You're the expert' page of the magazine this month, so I thought I would pop the queries onto the forum to see if anybody here can help. Here's the first one:
I have a photograph of my grandfather, Alfred George Mackmuride (McMurdie), playing for the Star Corinthians, according to the ball. The family lived in Bethnal Green, London. My mum thinks
this would have ...
Read more : Star Corinthians football team, East London | Views : 1068 | Replies : 6

Occupations in the 1871 Census

I'm looking at the 1871 Census records for some of my ancestors in the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire and am trying to read the occupation given for two teenagers aged 13 and 15. It appears to read "bark dresser". Could this be correct? Their father is a joiner, but I wondered if there was a link to bark being prepared for the tanning and leather industry.

They lived at Broadoak in the hamlet of ...
Read more : Occupations in the 1871 Census | Views : 2727 | Replies : 2

Samuel Lowen & Ann Nichols

The records say that Samuel Lowen married Ann Nichols 06.12.1755 in Wormley, Herts. However the banns say they were read in November 1760! Their son Samuel was baptised 24.02. 1760! All very confusing. Any ideas?
Read more : Samuel Lowen & Ann Nichols | Views : 1023 | Replies : 3

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot]

Total posts 55111 • Total topics 11257 • Total members 31357