It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:09 pm

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

German addresses in 1800s

Hi. I've been doing a lot of research into my husband's German family and have lots of information from the 1867 census plus some Death Certificates that we got when we visited the Archive in Malchow, Mecklenberg in July. We know that his ancestor was a shoemaker but can't find any way of finding an address for him in the town in 1867. Is this impossible?? It would be great to see where he lived ...
Read more : German addresses in 1800s | Views : 969 | Replies : 4

Cumberland and Northumberland records, pre-1800

Very recently I have been trying to research my 4th great grandparents, Andrew Beattie and Agnes Findlay, they both died in Ayrshire, Agnes 1871 and Andrew 1876, they moved to Ayrshire between 1833 and 1837, when their youngest child was born (my 3rd great grandmother).
Census records and death records show that Andrew was from Cumberland (abt 1794) and his parents were Andrew Beattie and Mary Graham and Agnes was from Northumberland (abt 1792) and ...
Read more : Cumberland and Northumberland records, pre-1800 | Views : 1182 | Replies : 3

Fact or Fiction ?

Like many family historians, I have a number of legends, folklore or myths, especially connected with my paternal (Irish) ancestry. Several have proved to have a good chunk of truth at their root. The two legends which I would like to investigate concern my paternal grandfather, John Lowry. He was baptised in the Catholic church in Monasterevin, Co Kildare, Ireland in 1845 (source IFHF transcript of baptisms) and died in Batersea, London, England in 1937. ...
Read more : Fact or Fiction ? | Views : 672 | Replies : 2

John Gullen paper stainer of Scotland

Can anyone claim my John Gullen, he was born circa 1744 somewhere in Scotland. He married Euphan Clerk(Clark) in January 1761 in Edinburgh. He is listed as a paper stainer by profession. She is the daughter of David Clerk (Clark) deceased a shipmaster in Limekills now in Tron Kirk Parish. Nothing shows up about this couple until the baptism of a daughter, Ann, on 10 Aug 1766 at St Ann Soho, Blackfriars, London. Where they ...
Read more : John Gullen paper stainer of Scotland | Views : 607 | Replies : 1

german prisonersof ww1 in southampton

I am finding it difficult to discover any info. on this topic. I am particularly interested in the role of Bevois Mount House which is supposed to have acted as a camp for German officers.
Read more : german prisonersof ww1 in southampton | Views : 509 | Replies : 2

WW1 convalescent homes

Does anyone know if it is possible to trace the place an injured soldier was sent to for convalescence? I believe my grandfather, Gunner Frank Spencer, was gassed in WW1 and returned to a "grand house" in England where he met my grandmother who was working there, but I don't know where she was working.
Very "Downton Abbey", I know!
All suggestions gratefully received
Suec

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Read more : WW1 convalescent homes | Views : 815 | Replies : 3

Age of birth informant

I have a 1864 birth registration from Dundalk, County Louth, for Patrick Grant, father Bernard Grant. The informant was John Grant of the same address, who 'made his mark' on the document.

Bernard had a son John, who was 11 years old in 1864, and there's a family belief, so far unconfirmed, that Bernard's father was also called John. Does anyone know what age an informant had to be to register a birth in Ireland ...
Read more : Age of birth informant | Views : 444 | Replies : 0

Samuel Vanes

His address on the 2 jun 1919 is given as OHMS Ireland from his brother's military service record? I presume he fought in WW1 as he was born in 1898 but I can not find any info on him for WW1 or Ireland? There is a medal card for a Samuel Vanes for the Leicestershire Regiment but I know this is not him and another medal card for a S Vanes, Royal Irish Fusiliers which ...
Read more : Samuel Vanes | Views : 612 | Replies : 5

Missing Family Member

I've posted this before and I thought I would try again.

James Deering married Isabella Annie Clark October 1887 in Middlesex.
-occ listed as Attendant British Museum
-father listed as James Deering, bricklayer, deceased

found in the 1891 census, Birth: 1842, Ireland

By 1901 Isabella Dearing is listed as a widow living in Holloway Prison. She gave birth to a child in December 1900 (which would put her pregnant in February-March 1900).

I've totally hit ...
Read more : Missing Family Member | Views : 4640 | Replies : 27

St Mary's Industrial School Croydon

My grandmother, Annie Read, is listed here on the1911 census. After months of searching I cannot find her birth record. I know her mothers maiden name was Slynes. She was definitely born in London and her marriage certificate says her fathers name was Thomas George Read. Does anyone know where I can find details of children that were admitted into St Mary's industrial School. The address of the school was Wellesley Road. Thank you
Read more : St Mary's Industrial School Croydon | Views : 832 | Replies : 4

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], DerikRip, JerodNoiz, KeganMl, Kevencago

Statistics

Total posts 54134 • Total topics 11126 • Total members 31154