It is currently Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:17 am

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

missing ancestor

I cannot find a death record or any other record for Richard Pearce a miner born Kenwyn Truro Cornwall 1793 after 1841! His wife appears on the 1851 census still states married rather than Widow so Im guessing he's still alive! Searched passenger lists, BMD records.....nothing! Help??
Read more : missing ancestor | Views : 445 | Replies : 2

Occupations in Nineteenth Century Scotland

Hi,

N.B. Please don't be put of by the family details, its more of an example; I'm not trying to set you on a task :D

My gr x 4 grandfather was a 'writer' from Edinburgh called James Brown (sometimes Broun). I have learnt that 'writer' was the name for an attorney or solicitor of sorts and I am also aware that a Writer to the ...
Read more : Occupations in Nineteenth Century Scotland | Views : 471 | Replies : 4

HENRY WRIGHT born 1853ish Calverton Nottm

Yes, I can see how he may have been confused about his father’s name, especially as Rebecca had a lodger by the name of William. Perhaps Henry saw the lodger as his father. I think I will have to make a trip to the archives and try to locate the birth of Henry’s brothers.

I have found Rebecca on the 1871 census with son Thomas age 10 staying as visitors with the Flinders family. The ...
Read more : HENRY WRIGHT born 1853ish Calverton Nottm | Views : 243 | Replies : 0

Children of green family Children of green family

My dad Wilfred John Green was first married to a Nessie R Newton they got married in 1938
I have tried to find any sibblings but with no sucssess.
He didn't marry my mother til 1978.
but he lived with my mother from 1946 and died in 1980 on the Isle of wight
I have always had this feeling that I have got a brother or a sister
I hope that someone will be able ...
Read more : Children of green family | Views : 486 | Replies : 3

HENRY WRIGHT born 1853ish Calverton Nottm

I am looking for the parents of Henry Wright, born Calverton 1853ish. Henry married Lydia Hatton in 1877.

The census shows Henry to be born Calverton, parents John & Rebecca. However, Henry's marriage certificate shows Henry's father to be William. Any idea which is correct, John or William?

Thanks
Di
Read more : HENRY WRIGHT born 1853ish Calverton Nottm | Views : 510 | Replies : 1

Being on the birth index with two different surnames

Hi, I am looking into my husbands family and have found that three of his brothers (two older and one younger than him) are on the index under two different names. His father and mother were never married and his mother had a previous marriage and we gather she was still married to this man up until hr death. On my husbands brother's birth register information, they are under two different names - their mother's ...
Read more : Being on the birth index with two different surnames | Views : 726 | Replies : 1

Ellen Bentham b1874 married to Jeffrey George Clues

I'm trying to find out a bit more about my 2x Great Grandmother Ellen Bentham born about 1874 in Wigan. My Nan had believed that she came from the Ormskirk area but I have a copy of the 1911 census and her place of birth is indicated as Wigan. She was married to Jeffrey George Clues (occupation Carter) in Liverpool, St Mary's Kirkdale in Feb 1895. Again there is a bit of confusion when they ...
Read more : Ellen Bentham b1874 married to Jeffrey George Clues | Views : 592 | Replies : 1

Help with Marriage Look Up - Wateringbury, Kent Help with Marriage Look Up - Wateringbury, Kent

I'm trying to find the first marriage of my 4x Great Grandfather Francis MIRES. He was born in Wateringbury in 1799.

I have found him on the 1841 census (and onwards) living with his wife Mary and their children but looking on the IGI I have found that some of the children have Mary as a mother and some have Jane, so I'm assuming that he was married twice.

Does anyone have access to the ...
Read more : Help with Marriage Look Up - Wateringbury, Kent | Views : 280 | Replies : 1

James Paton b:1765 Old Deer, Aberdeen,

I have hit a brick wall trying to find the parents of my 4th Great Grandfather. From his gravestone I know when he was born and where and his probable ancestors, but not his parents!

Can anyone suggest where else I can look for records that may tell me either who lived in Backhill, Knapperty around 1765, or who his parents are? Or even decipher the gravestone, which is now blank!
The entry below is ...
Read more : James Paton b:1765 Old Deer, Aberdeen, | Views : 2707 | Replies : 3

Tracing OBE Citations

Can anyone tell me where I can find OBE citations.

In particular I am looking for the New Year Honours 1954 in which my mother's second cousin, Colonel Alfred Thomas Lockyer of the Salvation Army, received the award. I already have the entry from the London Gazette, but this does not include the citation.

Also, does anyone know if photographs were taken of the presentations and, if so, where these might be archived?
Read more : Tracing OBE Citations | Views : 1219 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Registered users: 2012girl, AntonyM, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 37291 • Total topics 7702 • Total members 27148