It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:51 pm

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Brick wall - Ellen Aslett.

I am currently researching my 2 x G Grandmother, Ellen Aslett. This is what is known. She was born in 1845 and died in 1928(In Wandsworth). On census returns her mother is named as Sophia, and her father as George. She married Harry Tolfree on 10th Sept 1865 at Stepney St Thomas, Tower Hamlets. What I am stuck on is her mothers maiden name!. So, I looked for a marriage between George and a Sophia, ...
Read more : Brick wall - Ellen Aslett. | Views : 1525 | Replies : 4

Magistrates/JP

My grandmother Anne E Howell (nee James) was according to my father a JP or Magistrate in Cardiff S.Wales during the first half of the 20century. I would like to know about her "doings" .Where should I look for records of this nature?
Read more : Magistrates/JP | Views : 1825 | Replies : 8

Second World War records

My father fought in the Second World War and was in the Worcestershire Regiment. His battalion went to India and Burma between 1942 and 1946. They were "hemmed in " at the infamous battle of Kohima.
I would love to research his war service but not sure how I can do this. I understand that I have to apply to the MOD, and would like to know the cost of paying for my father's war ...
Read more : Second World War records | Views : 753 | Replies : 2

Help/thoughts on my conclusions to a puzzle?

I'm researching a friend's family tree for her and have a puzzle over one person with two different surnames - I think I've reached a conclusion but would welcome any thoughts or alternative suggestions.

My friend gave me some information based on research someone else in the family did years ago, which gave her Great-Grandfather's name as John Thomas, b. abt 1881, and his wife as Catherine Street.

I found the family in the 1911 ...
Read more : Help/thoughts on my conclusions to a puzzle? | Views : 629 | Replies : 2

Charles Bridges

I am looking for some help with the above who was my great grandfather born in 1872 in London. I knew him well and have always been fascinated by one of his tales. He said he went to sea as a midshipman and spent his 14th or 15th birthday shipwrecked off the north coast of Australia. I can find him in every census except the 1891 although I have all the rest of the family. ...
Read more : Charles Bridges | Views : 1871 | Replies : 4

How to find family portraits

My 10x great uncle, Sir George Ayliffe (1584-1643) was married to Anne St. John of Lydiard Tregoze, Wiltshire which therefore makes her my 10x great aunt. Anne St. John is depicted on the famous St. John family tryptich in St. Mary's Church, Lydiard Tregoze (see picture for detail of Anne).

This has caused me to wonder if there are any paintings of Sir George Ayliffe or other members of the Ayliffe family (I know of ...
Read more : How to find family portraits | Views : 1046 | Replies : 1

Alison Porteous or Holcombe

I am trying to find out more about Alison Porteous or Holcombe, born in Temple, Midlothian Scotland, in 1846 or so, married to Alexander Essex Holcombe in Australia and died in Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia 17th August 1916. She is the daughter of my 2 x great grandparents Veronica and Robert Porteous. I have quite a bit of information on her and her family, but would welcome more.

Veronica
Read more : Alison Porteous or Holcombe | Views : 1639 | Replies : 4

Brickwall-Wish Newbury,Berks records were available.

Ann Maria Pragnall b.1847 Newbury Berks - d.1890 Hampshire, great grandmother.

M - 15.12.1868 Thomas Macklin b.1845-1883 at Baptist Chapel, Lockerly, Hants. No father on certificate but a William Pragnall as witness.
M 10.1885 George Palmer b. 1832-1901

I have searched on-line for any record of her birth. Cannot find an Ann Pragnall with no father.

It is horrible having this blank space on my tree. Suppose I'll just have to be patient until ...
Read more : Brickwall-Wish Newbury,Berks records were available. | Views : 1597 | Replies : 8

Charles Parmiter 1830-

I have the following:-
Charles Parmiter bn 1830 St Andrews Fm, East Stoke, Dorset to Thomas Parmiter and Sarah Gillingham
1841 census pupil at Sedgeley Park School Staffs
1851 census apprentice ironmonger to Francis Tandy at Stourbridge Worcester
1861 census private in 2nd Battalion 18th Irish Regiment of Foot stationed at Shorncliffe in Kent - no idea how he joined up
1863-66 served in NZ during the Maori War of that period.
Jan 1870 2nd ...
Read more : Charles Parmiter 1830- | Views : 1874 | Replies : 7

Boswell Family

I have hit a complete brickwall and would appreciate some help.

Leonard Boswell (bn 1905 in Bath, Somerset) married Edith Mary Ingram in 1933 in Bath. I believe his father was Walter Boswell (bn c1873 in Bath) and his mother Emily Caroline Swift (bn 1876 in Bath). They had several children Walter (1898-1898, Bath), Elizabeth Caroline (bn 1899, Bath), Charles Thomas (1902-1902, Bath), Ethel (bn 1903, Bath), Henry (1907-1908, Bath), Ambrose John (1910-1913, Bath), Robert ...
Read more : Boswell Family | Views : 2648 | Replies : 9

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 51038 • Total topics 9883 • Total members 30635