It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:54 am

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

curious

I have recently found that one of my 3xgrt grandfathers went missing while collecting rent on his properties in 1857, in New Zealand, by following reports in Papers Past NZ I have found that a skeleton was found washed up on the beach of a near by island and presumed to be him, my query is if it wasnt positively identified as him what would happen to the remains? After the paper report on the ...
Read more : curious | Views : 110 | Replies : 0

William Walter Wallis - Death

I am struggling to find a death date for my Great Grandfather, William Walter Wallis.

He was born in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk in 1856 but moved to Woolwich after joining the Royal Artillery as a Gunner.

Up until 1916, he was shown on the Electoral Register as living in Plumstead but after 1918, his daughter is shown as living in the house, without him.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I have already purchased 2 ...
Read more : William Walter Wallis - Death | Views : 166 | Replies : 1

WW1 dispatch rider - Henry Foreman Wynn WW1 dispatch rider - Henry Foreman Wynn

I am trying to locate more details about a Wynn relative on my husband's side that was in WW1 as a dispatch rider, somewhere in France. Where would I begin to try and trace his military records and where he was stationed in 1916?
Henry Foreman Wynn b. 29/10/1894, Knaresborough, West Riding
d. 30/10/1973, Dunstable, Bedfordshire
WW1 12/04/1916, Somme, Picardie France
Any advice/assistance gratefully received. I am at a loss where to turn to next ...
Read more : WW1 dispatch rider - Henry Foreman Wynn | Views : 1148 | Replies : 6

May 2009

Does anyone have a copy of Wdytya magazine & disc for May 2009 which they would be willing to sell/copy disc? (It's the Ainsley Harriott one plus the Kent disc).
It's now unavailable & I have tried several places to get one with no success.
This is about my last resort.
If anyone has any suggestions about where I could get one I would be most grateful.
Read more : May 2009 | Views : 204 | Replies : 4

EMIGRATION TO GRENADA - HELP PLEASE?

We have a relation who left Somerset to managed a Sugar Plantation in Grenada the 1860's. We know he left sometime between 1851 (having featured in the 1851 census) and correspondence from Grenada pin points him there in 1863 - although we believe that he was was probably there before 1861, as he is not on the UK census of that time.

I would like to try and confirm when exactly he left the UK ...
Read more : EMIGRATION TO GRENADA - HELP PLEASE? | Views : 481 | Replies : 6

Alice Louisa Mundy (my grandmothers sister)

Hi,
I am new to this site and have just registered. I have been researching my family tree for about a year and have been successful with it so far. There is, however, one person that I would like to trace and wondered if anybody out there can help please. Her name is Alice Louisa Mundy born at the end of 1903 in Brackley, Northamptonshire to William and Louisa Mundy. She lived with her parents ...
Read more : Alice Louisa Mundy (my grandmothers sister) | Views : 414 | Replies : 5

info on great grandparents...

Good evening,

I cannot seem to find any information for my great grandparents (father's dad's parents). My dad doesn't know any details about them other than the fact his granddad may be Irish(?), but he definitely isn't sure of this.

All the information i know is that they lived in Middlesbrough, North East England and had seven children (it is possible there could be more). The children are; John (b. 1913/14), Charlie (b. 1918), Harry ...
Read more : info on great grandparents... | Views : 473 | Replies : 8

Vincent Cross - buried 1816

I have a copy of the burial record for Vincent Cross at All Saints, Isleworth, Hounslow on 4th April 1816.
He was aged about 56, giving him an approximate birth year of 1760.
A note in the parish records say "by a Coroner's Warrant".
I am assuming this means that Vincent may have died in suspicious circumstances. I have checked on the 19th Century newspapers and the London Gazette Online sites but have not found ...
Read more : Vincent Cross - buried 1816 | Views : 250 | Replies : 2

Greely family myth

I'm trying to solve a family myth and have hit a brick wall! There is a myth in our family that we were related to Horace Greely who was a famous American Publisher who stood for presidency against Ulysses S Grant. He was also rumoured to be the person who told Abraham Lincoln to "Go West". I have traced back my English Greely roots to a William Greely who was born in Middlesex in 1817, ...
Read more : Greely family myth | Views : 305 | Replies : 2

Brith certificate help

Hi

When someone registered a birth in 1902 - did they have to prove that they were married - eg by a marriage certificate or could the marriage have been made up?

Thanks
Read more : Brith certificate help | Views : 272 | Replies : 3

Login  •  Register

Registered users: AdsBot [Google], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 29990 • Total topics 6524 • Total members 23353