It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:01 pm

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

unusual names

Hi there,
I recently came across a forebear whose name was Time Of Night Kenknight from Kent!!
Do you think he was named after his Dad exclaiming"What time of night do you call this!"
A fun thought!!
I just wonder how on earth he coped with his name during his life!! especially at school.
Any other strange names out there?
Best Regards
Jenni Thredder
Read more : unusual names | Views : 180 | Replies : 1

Welsh Ancestors

I am having great diffuiculties finding my great grand father who was born in Rowen in Conway Wales. His name was James roberts and I Know that in 1931 he lived in Hendy Rowen. Can anyone help please
Read more : Welsh Ancestors | Views : 135 | Replies : 1

Jeanie Palmer

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me to find a Jeanie Palmer, she was the mother of my paternal grandfather Harold William Chetwynd Skinner, his father was Cuthbert William Skinner ( I don't know whether or not they were actually married so I'm hedging my bets) Harold was born in Quetta, India in 1903, Cuthbert was at the time a staff sergeant at the Military Works Services there. I have been able to ...
Read more : Jeanie Palmer | Views : 236 | Replies : 2

Harold Shakespeare 1890

I am looking for my Great Grandfather and I have little information to go on. What details I have are as follows:

His birthday was 24 July 1890
He married in 1913 in Wandsworth, Greater London to Olive May Greenfield.
His step-mother lived in Wimbledon.
He died before my mother was born - she was born December 1962.

I cannot seem to find any records of his birth, I know his date of birth from ...
Read more : Harold Shakespeare 1890 | Views : 195 | Replies : 1

Tracing a relative AND deciphering handwriting

any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

I'm tracing Jolly Goodwin Pickup born in Burnley, Lancashire circa 1881 - 1883. I have found him on the 1891 census aged 8 and 1911 aged 28 hence 1883.

I have also found a WW1 enlistment form dated 15-Mar-1915 in which he is 34 years old hence 1881. I know this is the right person as he re-enlisted two months later and the name and address are ...
Read more : Tracing a relative AND deciphering handwriting | Views : 500 | Replies : 3

Trying to contact Lareen Newman (id*****9948)

I understand she is with Geneology .com. She is interested in Dr Henry Dixon B Finchingfield Essex and D. Dorwards Hall Witham Essex Can you help, as I am his Great Niece x5.
Madeleine Swithenbank.
Read more : Trying to contact Lareen Newman (id*****9948) | Views : 356 | Replies : 2

tracing is now helpfull to student tracing is now helpfull to student

I'm researching my 2x great grandfather, Thomas James Slaney b.circa 1847 in Nottinghamshire (exact birth location unknown).

He married Cicely Fletcher, a widow (nee Sharples) in Manchester Catholic Parish Church in January 1874 and they had two children - Thomas James b.November 1874 (my great grandfather) and Henrietta b.1877 - before Cicely died in 1879. There were also four children from Cicely's first marriage.

According to their marriage certificate, Thomas was the son of John ...
Read more : tracing is now helpfull to student | Views : 215 | Replies : 1

Tracing: Becker, Antwerp, Belgium

Hi All,

I'm trying to find what information I can about my great grandmother. Her name is Marie Caroline Becker born about 1866 in Antwerp. The 1891 census shows her living in Marleybone London with her brother Frank Becker who was born about 1865. she was a dressmaker and he was a tailor. She later married Walter Lepper and moved into Kent.

At the moment that's the only information I have so any help, hints ...
Read more : Tracing: Becker, Antwerp, Belgium | Views : 636 | Replies : 6

QUERY RE: GRANDFATHER'S NAME

My grandfather's name on his marriage certificate is Edward Ernest Oliver but on 1911 census he is recorded as Albert, which my father used to say his name was. The first son born of the marriage was named Albert John Oliver. His marriage was in 1901 and he is recorded as 18 years of age, but the only certificate I can find for around the date of his birth (1883) does not give the correct ...
Read more : QUERY RE: GRANDFATHER'S NAME | Views : 566 | Replies : 7

Missing info on Marriage Certificate Duckworth

Hi
I am new to this forum but not new to genealogy. I have a problem which someone can hopefully help me with.
Susannah Duckworth married James Bulcock on 14th September 1872 at St Thomas's Church, Blackburn. However, her surname does not appear on the Certificate, and a note from the Registrar states 'we can only copy what was in the register'. She is shown as a 24 year old spinster and her father is ...
Read more : Missing info on Marriage Certificate Duckworth | Views : 286 | Replies : 3

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], garriem, Google [Bot], JaneyH, jra1971, Majestic-12 [Bot], mandy1970, rrutland, thobanneells, Yahoo [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 28105 • Total topics 6211 • Total members 22638