It is currently Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:28 am

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

de Vit family of Kiddermister

Hi, I need a little help with my research.

My great-great grandmother was a lady called Eugenie Sophia Theresa de Vit, who was born in 1861 in Kidderminster. Her father was a French immigrant called Charles Anatole de Vit, sometimes known as Bearn Charles Anatole de Vit, who claimed to have (in a number of Kelly's directories) a B-es-L in French from the University of Paris and a German equivalent from Heidelberg. He was also ...
Read more : de Vit family of Kiddermister | Views : 2659 | Replies : 14

Charles Regan

Hi all,
I am trying to trace the family of my great great grandfather Charles Michael Regan. All I know is that he was born in southern ireland c1859. His father was called Walter who was a sailor, I don't know who his mother was.
Charles was married to Mary Elizabeth Bunter in 1887 in Stockport, and he died in Stockport in 1912. I have been told that his surname was possibly O'Regan. That is ...
Read more : Charles Regan | Views : 1830 | Replies : 6

Return of Owners of Land 1873

I've just been looking through this month's free cd and am really pleased with the Return of Owners of Land 1873. Does anybody know if there were similar surveys at other times? (Apart from Domesday of course!) I'd love to see a comparison for 50 or 100 years earlier.
Read more : Return of Owners of Land 1873 | Views : 521 | Replies : 2

Joseph Favier's French origins born Kerry ca 1800

My mother often spoke of her French grandfather and I was always dead keen to find from wher he came - being good at French at school! I eventually discovered that the French was a bit remote! He was born in London in about 1830, of a father born in Kerry, Ireland, about 1800 . The name is French enough and in all branches there is a strong tradition of "Frenchness" Help, please!!
Read more : Joseph Favier's French origins born Kerry ca 1800 | Views : 250 | Replies : 0

Zimbabwe records

Does anyone know how to go about obtaining records from Zimbabwe? Every site I have managed to find has a dead link to the national archives in Zimbabwe :)

The family I am looking for are:
Jacob Comaroff, wife Leah Comaroff and their children, names and number unknown.

The LDS site turned up the following names in the Zimbabwe death index records: Abraham, Harry, Jacob, Leah, ...
Read more : Zimbabwe records | Views : 2776 | Replies : 14

Help with Ancestry to locate Drake / North / Harrison!

Is it me or is it Ancestry, but I find immense difficulty trying to locate non-BMD, parish or census records on the site. Perhaps I'm expecting too much, but I'm desperate to find the following people (especially having read that British Post Office Appointments are now live!):

Francis Drake (1842-1921) from Whiteparish, Wiltshire, England. Described as a "Private Royal Marines" (1871), but I cannot find his military records (have also tried TNA without success.

Elizabeth ...
Read more : Help with Ancestry to locate Drake / North / Harrison! | Views : 925 | Replies : 7

Can anyone help me decipher this MC

Please can anyone help me decipher the attached.

I can read Ralph Holland.

I cannot make out Janes suranme or who the witnesses are

Read more : Can anyone help me decipher this MC | Views : 533 | Replies : 4

Harold Henry Harding

In possesion of the MC fo Nicholas Lacey and Alice Lavinia White

I am just concentrating on Alice

Married 01 May 1915. Alice is 35 a spinster. Occupation a Domnestic Servant living at 10 Butcher Row Coventry.

Father Henry William White deceased boat maker?

Wittnessess W W Ward and Arthur Lloyd.

My husband great grandfather was Harold Henry Hadring born 17 December 1906 Chirstchurch Bournemouth.

Father is George John Harding Master Greengrocer and Mothr Alice ...
Read more : Harold Henry Harding | Views : 530 | Replies : 2

Does anyone have any hints on how to find ancestors before parish registers? Several of my family lines have now gone back to the beginning of surviving Parish Registers but I don't know where to go from there.

I get the feeling it will entail a lot of travelling to libraries and trawling through old books, but which books and where? I do look on British History Online and Google Books and they can be ...
Read more : LIFE BEFORE PARISH REGISTERS? | Views : 545 | Replies : 3

Have just discovered from Pembrokeshire newspaper obituary, that my great aunt, Miss Gertrude Emily ROBINSON "formerly held an appointment with the foreign office". I would like to find some more info on her. She was born Lambeth 9 Sept 1893 (no occupation listed on 1911 census - aged 18 and living with grandparents in Lambeth). I have no knowledge of her life until her death, aged 80 on 20 March 1974. The obit says she ...
Read more : FOREIGN OFFICE PERSONNEL | Views : 236 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], irishstreetlad, kimberrywickham, Yahoo [Bot]

Total posts 38868 • Total topics 7931 • Total members 27840