It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 1:36 pm

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

population figures

Are there any estimates as to the population in the 11th Century?
Read more : population figures | Views : 563 | Replies : 2

Can anyone help with pre-1840 records?

A couple of weeks ago, I began to research my family tree on Ancestry (I also got a months accout with Genes reunited). I've really enjoyed it so far, I'm back to the early 1800's with some of them but then I begin to struggle without the benefit of Census records.

In particular, my great x3 grandmother, Jane Bland (Born 1880 in West Derby, Liverpool) marries John Hooley on 7th December 1829, I can see ...
Read more : Can anyone help with pre-1840 records? | Views : 4248 | Replies : 10

Thomas Edwards and Sarah Ann Fenton

I am in possession of my 3rd Great Grandparents MC.

Thomas Edwards is aged 25, Bachelor, Fish Merchant, Residence Stoneferry, Hull. Father Thomas Edwards Shoemaker

Sarah Ann Fenon 22, Spinster, Residence Stoneferry, Hull. Father Edward Fetnon I think his is occupation is Seed Crusher?

They were married 12 November 1852 Sculcoates.

Witnesses are David Sharkey and Mary Annn Sharkey surname looks like Sharkey.

This is the family in 1861 Piece: 3582 Folio: 45 Page: 15 ...
Read more : Thomas Edwards and Sarah Ann Fenton | Views : 6475 | Replies : 5

British or French Subject and French research

I am trying to research my Great-Grandfather who I was told was French and came to Nottingham.
What I am trying to now do is find anything him and the rest of his family (I don't even know his parents) while they were in France.
1881 Uk census records first show him in the UK age 14 Staying with the Litchfield family in Nottingham on this record it has B.S. that was (initialed over all ...
Read more : British or French Subject and French research | Views : 1100 | Replies : 6

records of stillbirths

I apologise if this causes any upset, but I am wondering if stillbirths were recorded at all in the 1920's. My maternal uncle was born between 1925 and 1929, in Winchester, I believe. His name was Colin Loughlin, parents Thomas Bernard and Emily Beatrrice. Thanks, Maxine
Read more : records of stillbirths | Views : 1053 | Replies : 3

Sarah Gisby

Hi I am wondering if anyone can help! Firstly, as I live in Australia, my research ability is limited. However I am trying to trace my 5xgrandparents. I know that Sarah Gisby DOB 4th August 1791 married Abraham Saffery,DOB 1767. They both were born in Kent, Sarah in Margate. Their son, also called Abraham (but confusingly changed his name to Stephen) DOB 1821 also in Margate,married a Eliza Miles, DOB 1822, in Margate. I am ...
Read more : Sarah Gisby | Views : 869 | Replies : 4

susan Thew of Hexham

I have abirth date of 10.5.1812 in Hexham Northumberland for Susan Thew but can find nothing more about her. She was only 5 years when her father died in 1817 and although her mother was still alive I am wondering if maybe she was adopted out .Her mother died in haydon Bridge in 1830 and had not remarried. Susan doesn't appear on any census.I welcome any suggestions as how I can find what happened to ...
Read more : susan Thew of Hexham | Views : 749 | Replies : 3

Help needed with writing on marriage record!

Aviary Photo_130186368759360728.png

Hi all,
I have been baffled recently as to the writing on the marriage of my 3rd great grandparents, John MacIntyre and Mary MacQuarrie.
I can work out their names in this certificate and the last two, 'here married', but the rest is a bit of a mess and I was wondering if any of you good people might be able to help me with what the rest of ...
Read more : Help needed with writing on marriage record! | Views : 1003 | Replies : 7

Donald McDonald

Hi all,

I was wondering if there was a way I could trace my 3rd Great Grandfather, Donald McDonald, father of James McDonald?
I did a thread recently where it was discovered that James was illegitimate and I did wonder whether Donald McDonald was just a name given across, but it seems he was very much a non-fictional character!

After doing a few searches on the Scottish Peoples website, I discovered James' birth certificate and ...
Read more : Donald McDonald | Views : 1688 | Replies : 7

help with 4xgrt Grandparents

Edward Sheppard was born in Rowlands Castle hampshire about 1795 , he married Selina Cotton, in Hampshire, she was born there also about 1795. Their eldest child is my 3x grt Grandmother catherine Sheppard born Portsea Portsmouth 1820.
I would like to find out more on Edward and Selina, who their Parents were etc. when they were born, when they married.
I found them on 1841 to the 1861 census for portsmouth Hampshire. In the ...
Read more : help with 4xgrt Grandparents | Views : 2170 | Replies : 7

Login  •  Register

Registered users: alilou03, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Feedfetcher

Statistics

Total posts 49691 • Total topics 9359 • Total members 30452