It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:10 am

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Rich Ladies Fortunes (The Georgians BBC2)

Thoroughly enjoyed the first episode of BBC2's "The Georgians", but I'm now desperate to find out more about the directory referred to that allowed eligible widowers and batchelors to find suitably wealthy women to marry!

Because the presenter was using an electronic version of this directory, I'm assuming it must be availabe in this format and hopefully online. However, after several attemps to locate it on the web, I have been unsuccessful.

As one branch ...
Read more : Rich Ladies Fortunes (The Georgians BBC2) | Views : 316 | Replies : 3

Where to find info about British Army in India?

My maternal grandfather apparently served in India - family lore says around the Khyber Pass - between the two world wars. (He was too young for WW1 and too old for WW2.) Family say he was in the Warwickshire Regiment. I have discovered that the 1st Battalion served on the North West Frontier in 1936-37, and 1937-39. I have looked at the medal rolls for these campaigns for that regiment/battalion and can't find his name. ...
Read more : Where to find info about British Army in India? | Views : 444 | Replies : 2

Deciphering a trade/calling - Motor Trade

Hi

Would anyone be able to help with deciphering the occupation shown on a relative's war service record from 1917?

It looks like "Motor S........."

Your help would be appreciated!

Sue
Motor Trade Occupation.JPG
Read more : Deciphering a trade/calling - Motor Trade | Views : 229 | Replies : 2

grandmother's birth

I have been trying to find my maternal grandmothers birth. I have her death certificate and she died in 1926 age 30 which gives her year of birth as 1896. On her marriage certificate in 1918 in Luton her name is Alma Beatrice Green, father Arthur William Green (manager). On her death certificate she is Alma Beatrice Jones (nee. Green) wife of John Thomas Jones. Nowhere on the gro reg. can I find an Alma ...
Read more : grandmother's birth | Views : 407 | Replies : 3

Benavente - Amsterdam

I am looking for information regarding Muritz Benavente (1862 Amsterdam) and his wife Henriette (1865 Vlissingen, Holland).
In 1901 they were living at 47 Tottenham Court Road, London and in 1911 they were living in Sheffield. After that they disappear. They had a son Maurice (1882 Amsterdam - 1965 Lambeth) he remained living in London.
I have found an entry for a Henriette Benavente nee Grishaver born 25/09/1865 in Vlissingen and dying 26/03/1943 in Sobibor ...
Read more : Benavente - Amsterdam | Views : 540 | Replies : 6

Late Birth Registeration Late Birth Registeration

My mother was born in Nov.1920. Her mother and father were wed in March 1925. Moms Birth was not registered untill April 1933 which would make her 13 years old. It also states in the column " When Registered" On the Authority of the Registrar General". What would this mean? Mom would be old enough to be a working girl at 13. TOMBOY.
Read more : Late Birth Registeration | Views : 183 | Replies : 2

Ancestry .uk

Hi
Here's an unusual problem.
I have just tried to sign up for a years membership with Ancestry.UK and the online application form for will not recognise my address, post code or e- mail address even though i am a member and logged on. When i tried to contact them by e-mail... yes you guessed, it would not accept my e-mail address !
Any Ideas
Dave
Read more : Ancestry .uk | Views : 410 | Replies : 1

Burrows Family

Hello,
Could anybody give me some help with finding this Burrows family, I have very little information to go on.
Robert Thomas Burrows, father of Winifred Mary Burrows. Winifred was born in 10 April 1927 Ormskink Lancashire, married Peter James Edward Harding June 18 1949, Registers Office Kensington England.They had a son Andrew P, born abt 1950. Divorced, Winifred came to Canada in 1952 for a visit to St Catherines Ontario. Winifred occupation was listed ...
Read more : Burrows Family | Views : 536 | Replies : 2

JOHN STEELE 1795 birth Sussex?

John Steele, a farmer, was convicted of highway robbery at Kent Assizes on 15 Mar 1819 & transported to VDL. The Tasmanian records show his native place as Sussex with DOB of 1795. I have no way of finding info on him from church or court records in England. Any help on his background would be appreciated.

Tony
Read more : JOHN STEELE 1795 birth Sussex? | Views : 795 | Replies : 6

JOHN STEELE Highway Robbery

After info about John Steele (farmer) convicted of highway robbery & transported by Kent Assizes 15th Mar 1819. Have records from Australia. Would appreciate any info.
Thanks

Tony
Read more : JOHN STEELE Highway Robbery | Views : 217 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 32792 • Total topics 6951 • Total members 24867