It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:26 pm

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Joseph Winn

My 4 times great grandfather Joseph Winn is shown on his son Joseph's baptism record as being a fife major inthe 3rd Regiment of Foot (The Buffs). In researching him further I have found three more Joseph Winns. One was a drummer in the 2nd Foot Guards during the Peninsula War as shown on the medal records, the second was born in Aston, Warwicks, served in the 3rd Regiment of Foot and the 2nd Foot ...
Read more : Joseph Winn | Views : 1022 | Replies : 6

:) Can anyone help me find out where and when a George Barton and Margaret Crawford married. Both born in Aryshire, Scotland. Later moving to Larne, co. Antrim One of their sons, Charles Robertson Barton was born 5/11/1872. Thank you.
Read more : Barton/Crawford | Views : 483 | Replies : 2

Hi, trying to find out more about The crawford family, of Crawfords buscuits. Have dates etc of when business was started and first location, but very little about actual family. Would appreciate it so much if anyone out there knows anything about them.
Read more : CRAWFORD BISCUITS | Views : 5780 | Replies : 13

Prison Records

My Gt. Grandfather, William Elliot Thompson, lived in Pontefract, W Yorkshire, and it would appear he was a bit of a waster. My mother told me that he inherited some money and would hire a coach and take his 'cronies' down to London, leaving his wife (Caroline Walker) and their 6 children at home. He ended up in Wakefield jail a Bankrupt.

I have found the will of his Aunt, Elizabeth Frankland of Scarborough, who ...
Read more : Prison Records | Views : 1663 | Replies : 6

Edward John Knight born 1845 - help

I have tried to find the birth of my Great Grandfather Edward John Knight born about 1845 in Lea Bridge. He is not on 1851 census or 1861 census. The first official record of him is his marriage to Caroline Stephens in August 1869. He appears on every census after that until his death.

On the marriage cetificate he states that his father's name is also Edward Knight and that he is a land agent. ...
Read more : Edward John Knight born 1845 - help | Views : 1860 | Replies : 2

My GreatGrandparents were Margarete Petrie and Andreas Goebel, both born in Germany. They married in London in 1876. My grandfather was born in London and was therefore British. On the 1901 census the enumerator says Margaret was a 'foreign subject' and a 'widow'. On the 1911 Census Margaret has written in the Nationality Column 'Naturalised 1898'.

Family stories say she loudly proclaimed her British Nationality; one story has it that she waved her British Passport ...
Read more : NATURALISATION 1898 | Views : 1120 | Replies : 3

Origins of Henry GREEN 1859/60/61 - 1927

I’m trying to find information about my great-grandfather Henry GREEN.

He was married in 1884 in Hartlepool and gave his father’s name as Thomas Green, Bricklayer.

He was widowed, and married again in 1896 and again gave his father’s name as Thomas Green, Bricklayer although this time described also as Deceased.

In the 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses he was living in West Hartlepool, County Durham giving ages which suggest dates of birth in 1859 ...
Read more : Origins of Henry GREEN 1859/60/61 - 1927 | Views : 1131 | Replies : 2

Mary Mitchell 1856 Chatham/Old Brompton Kent

I have been trying for a long time to find the Birth Registration and / or Baptism of Mary ( Anne )
Mitchell. I have the following information about her :

Mary Anne Mitchell (minor) of 2 Temple Street West , Dublin. Father John Mitchell pensioner
married 16 Aug 1874 St Pauls Arran Quay , Dublin
George Pullinger (full age) Private 2nd Queens, of Royal Barracks , Dublin. Father David Pullinger labourer.

Children :
James ...
Read more : Mary Mitchell 1856 Chatham/Old Brompton Kent | Views : 3486 | Replies : 9

Albert Edward Gleadall (1892-1968)

My grandfather was born in London, and although celebrated his B'day as July 1, 1892 we are unable to locate a birth certificate. I lived with him as a child but moved to Canada when I was 6 and only saw him once more when I was 10 therefore I know nothing of his history. He died in 1968 and we have his death certificate, marriage certificate but no birth record. His army records indicate ...
Read more : Albert Edward Gleadall (1892-1968) | Views : 724 | Replies : 5

Where in Ireland?

In the 1861 census for the parish of Regent Square, St Pancras i have a William Magee age 68 b.abt 1793 in Ireland and married to Mary Magee, how can i find out where in Ireland William Magee was born?(later spellings of Magee appear as McGhee) any help or advice much appreciated . Glenn.
Read more : Where in Ireland? | Views : 1273 | Replies : 4

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, Yahoo [Bot]

Total posts 39971 • Total topics 8069 • Total members 28145