It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:57 am

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Northumberland Militia Northumberland Militia

In 1877 my grandfather - Anthony SKIPSEY - joined the army (Royal Artillery) in NEWCASTLE on TYNE. Before that he had been a member of the NORTHUMBERLAND MILITIA (Artillery). He was almost 20 when he joined the army, so perhaps he was in the Northumberland Militia sometime between 1871 and 1877. Does anyone know of any muster lists or any other information that might help identify his place of birth (possibly GATESHEAD) please? Dave Hutchings
Read more : Northumberland Militia | Views : 2041 | Replies : 13

TOMKYNS-JORDAN ?death mystery

Christopher James JORDAN, b. 1827 Worcester, seems to have been a serial marryer :) He served in the EIC & HM Army and retired to pension in 1869, died 1915. Wives were:
1) Catherine, with whom he had 3 children: Marion, Catherine (both in India), Arthur Nelson b. Portsea 1867, then wife Catherine dies Deolali 14 Dec 1868
2) Ann Elizabeth BROWN, m. Dec qtr 1869, Brighton ...
Read more : TOMKYNS-JORDAN ?death mystery | Views : 685 | Replies : 2

GRO number

Hi,

Please can someone advise me on the GRO number as I'm not sure which one it is,

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 5247; Folio: 123; Page: 20; GSU roll: 1342263.

Thank you very much.

Colin.
Read more : GRO number | Views : 313 | Replies : 1

Twelve Oaks Farm

I'm researching the history of a farmhouse in Teigngrace Devon. I've traced the farm and its occupants back through the census 1841 to 1911. From Land Taxes I've discovered the farm was owned by James Templar in 1780. However, I can't get any further back as I cannot find who owned the land before then. Much of Teigngrace was bought by Templar in the mid 1700s but I cannot find which bundles of land included ...
Read more : Twelve Oaks Farm | Views : 1958 | Replies : 3

Inpenetrable Brick Wall

I have been searching for an ancestor for some time with no success. James Edmond (Edmund) Ingram was born in Bath in 1872. His father was Edmund (Edmond) and his mother Mary Ann. In 1891 they were in Peter St, Bath. I can find no trace of him after this. Help would be appreciated
Read more : Inpenetrable Brick Wall | Views : 1828 | Replies : 12

Foot family mystery

Hi all, I have recently found a real mystery in my family.
All I know about my 5th great grandparents John Foot and Jenney/Jenny is that they had their children in Mylor, Cornwall, their oldest child, John Robert Foot is my 4th great grandfather and his oldest child, John Richard Foot was my 3rd great grandfather and his oldest child was my 2nd great grandfather, Richard Marshall Foot. Now that is a fairly unusual name. ...
Read more : Foot family mystery | Views : 3259 | Replies : 12

Birth Details and Medical Records

I have been searching for my Birth Details and early medical records without success. I was born at the former Sunnyside Nursing Home, Cheltenham, Glos in 1947 and would love to be able to find my early records. Any ideas please?
Thanks
Chris
Read more : Birth Details and Medical Records | Views : 1918 | Replies : 9

Una LEWIS - descendents

Apologies in advance for the rather vague nature of this query. A friend is trying to discover what happened to her grandmother's sister. Her name was Violet Rose Webber and she was born in India in 1894. It is thought that she married in England. From the indexes the most likely is a marriage in Devonport in 1919 to Clifford H Lewis. (Her father & his relatives lived here)

A photo taken at Wylde Green, ...
Read more : Una LEWIS - descendents | Views : 535 | Replies : 0

RE:Help with finding a death record

I am trying to find the death entry for Eleanor Webster nee Richards Thomas born in 1799 Cornwall.She last appears in the 1881 census with her daughter Sarah Andrews and son in law William along with various grandchildren living in Radcliffe London.
I have checked Ancestry and the BMD records but nothing shows up except for an Eleanor Webster who died in April 1890 Chertsey Surrey

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Laura
Read more : RE:Help with finding a death record | Views : 683 | Replies : 3

Wills: where to look at them in person

I'd like to look at a copy of my great-grandfather's will. He died in Feb 1917 in Warwickshire, and I have found him in the probate register, just a couple of lines saying the total amount he left, and who proved the will.

But, from a newspaper report of the time, I know he left a lot of individual bequests to family, employees and charities, and should like to see a full list of these. ...
Read more : Wills: where to look at them in person | Views : 733 | Replies : 3

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], JMcKinnon

Statistics

Total posts 48630 • Total topics 9155 • Total members 30237