It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:15 pm

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Arthur William Long

As a new researcher can anybody suggest where I can find information on my great grandfarther Arthur William Long.
I know he married Minnie Wilson in 1901 and my Grandfather Kenneth was born in 1904.
I have checked the Census for 1901, 1891,1881 but can find no match. Nor can I find a possible match in the Births index although a possible match for his death in 1935 can be found.
Read more : Arthur William Long | Views : 377 | Replies : 1

Portable and Travelling Theatres, Victorian

I am looking for any information on portable and travelling theatres between the years of 1861 and 1910. Especially on William Haggar's and another called Lawrence's Gt Allied Theatres. Would be especially interested in actors names who were in these theatres between these dates. I am looking for information on Fred and Marion French both actors. Fred changed his name from Coulston to French somewhere between 1861 and circa 1870 for his acting career. Their ...
Read more : Portable and Travelling Theatres, Victorian | Views : 214 | Replies : 0

Parmiter Family (and spelling variations)

Hello Everyone

I was really interested in the little article in this months magazine re Jane and Mary Parminter and A La Ronde.
My husband is descended from the Parmiter family, his maternal line, from Dorset, and I have carried out a huge amount of research on all the extended family from the county, back to the late 1600s, following them as they moved around the county and country. ( I don't think there are ...
Read more : Parmiter Family (and spelling variations) | Views : 191 | Replies : 0

Taylor

I have hit a brick wall trying to trace my ancestor. I have acquired Birth Certificate for Alfred Taylor B.ca.1874 Middlesex. Then I have found one dated 1875. How can I be sure I will trace the correct ancestor as obviously they have different mothers?
Read more : Taylor | Views : 2112 | Replies : 30

Bushey Herts

As I have had so much help before here I am trying again.

My grandfather's birth certificate lists his birth place as
Villiers Road, Bushey - having googled and searched the internet I cannot find it.
As his mother came from Devon and his birth is registered as Watford/Sidbury (???) obviously wanting to make sure his Devon roots were known. I am trying to piece together why she was in this area. Does anyone know ...
Read more : Bushey Herts | Views : 696 | Replies : 12

November 2010 Issue - Shopkeepers

My November Issue arrived today. I'm glad to see it mentions the Herts Will Index Online that I used yesterday.

I also found the article on "A Century of the High Street" interesting and am looking forward to the series which starts this week, along with the upcoming "Edwardian Farm" series.

Anyway, if anyone is tracing shopkeeping ancestors in the Luton area, there are two books available that may be of interest to you. I ...
Read more : November 2010 Issue - Shopkeepers | Views : 170 | Replies : 0

Hertfordshire Wills Index Online

For those lucky enough to have Hertfordshire ancestors, the Hertfordshire Will Index 1413 - 1857 was recently launched on Hertfordshire Names Online.

Here is a link to the Herts Archives site for those who are interested:-

http://www.hertsdirect.org/libsleisure/heritage1/HALS/

Copies of wills cost £5.00 to order, including postage, and take up to 10 working days to be delivered.

As Christmas is coming up, this could be an unusual and interesting present ...
Read more : Hertfordshire Wills Index Online | Views : 397 | Replies : 0

military tunic button

Can anyone identify the regiment and possible date of this military tunic button - WW1 or WW2? It was found in a field near Baldock in Hertforshire.
tunic button.jpg
Read more : military tunic button | Views : 343 | Replies : 2

MARRIAGES IN ARGENTINA

My gt aunt Kathleen Peters b. 1877 Middlesex married a Patrick O'malley from Galway in Argentina between 1901 and 1911 but I can find no sites for Argentina to find the details. Does anyone know of a marriage, probably Roman Catholic, site for this part of the world?
Read more : MARRIAGES IN ARGENTINA | Views : 299 | Replies : 3

gypsy ancestors

I have a newspaper clipping from my granmother from a paper I believe to be from Reading but the top is missing detailing a story about a granny smith who was a gypsy in the st saviours road area of coley in Reading and there are pictures of her caravan being burnt after she died. I am to believe that I am related to her in some way and although My grandmothers family the Hathaways ...
Read more : gypsy ancestors | Views : 204 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], irishstreetlad, Yahoo [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 32154 • Total topics 6838 • Total members 24293