It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:00 pm

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Maundy Money

Is there somewhere to find lists of all people who have received Maundy Money in the past?

jean
Read more : Maundy Money | Views : 105 | Replies : 1

Received the DSM, Why How?

L.S. Charles John Colbran, O.N. 208778

I need help trying to find out why my Great Uncle Charles Colbran received the Distingushed Service Medal, it was noted that he was to receive the medal by being published in the London Gazette on the 5th September 1916. He later (1918) died whilst serving on Submarines. Any ideas?
Read more : Received the DSM, Why How? | Views : 647 | Replies : 8

info on address please

I have a copy of my grt GRandfathers birth certificate from Nottingham
The address given where he was born is
Yard
Broad Street
nottingham
and the same for Fathers address, I am wondering what the "YARD" part refers to if anyone can help? It has puzzled me for a while,
Thanks in advance
Jan
Read more : info on address please | Views : 136 | Replies : 2

THOUGHTS ON FAMILY TREE CHARTS

I was interested in everyone's thoughts / preferences were on the huge variety of software ( free or otherwise) out there, particularly in relation to creating and printing off a family tree for framing up as a present.

Are some easier to use then others or presentationally (! is that a proper word :D ) more attractive?

Let me know what you think or if you ...
Read more : THOUGHTS ON FAMILY TREE CHARTS | Views : 455 | Replies : 3

Looking for birth certificate for g.grandfather

Hello to everyone,i have just signed up to this site in the hope that someone can help me, i have searched everywhere trying to find my great grandfathers birth certificate with no luck, i even had a researcher and still no luck, i have his marriage cert and his death cert,but with out his birth certificate i cant find his parents, onhis marriage cert it gives his father as george stone,but it does not help ...
Read more : Looking for birth certificate for g.grandfather | Views : 1034 | Replies : 10

Civillian POW Shanghai Civillian POW Shanghai

I have just discovered that my late Great Uncle was a POW during WW2. At the time, he was living and working in Shanghai. I found a list of camps, but at this stage I don't know which one he was in. The most obvious to start with is Lunghua. I haven't found out if there is a list of internees which is where I would like to start. All routes seem to go to ...
Read more : Civillian POW Shanghai | Views : 96 | Replies : 0

Kirwan

Please can any one help me find my Kirwan ancestors?. I have been searching on and off for 20years, my mothers maiden name was kiwan and my grandfarther worked for the irish Independant Times but died in 1956. My mother was Jean Kirwan , I was born in 1971....... please reply here or email me at admana38@yahoo.co.uk and I can give more details,,thankyou..
Read more : Kirwan | Views : 188 | Replies : 2

John Gilmour b.1803

Hi
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about a John Gilmour (maybe Gilmore) born in 1803 in Ireland but I don't know where. He moved to Glasgow and married a Mary Reid in 1828. She was born in Donegore, Co. Antrim, Ireland. I don't know exactly but I am assuming they both died there. My ancestor, their son, John moved to Dublin. Any suggestions or info on John Sr. will be much appreciated especially ...
Read more : John Gilmour b.1803 | Views : 282 | Replies : 0

Born in India or England?

Hello and thank you for reading this post, my first on this forum.

I am desperate to find some information about my maternal Grandmother, I have been searching for a very long time but have been frustrated at every turn.

I will write down what I know, and hope and pray that someone can help me. What I need to establish is if she was born in India, or in England.

Her name is Ellen ...
Read more : Born in India or England? | Views : 1265 | Replies : 10

mystery of Thomas Lewis

Hello. I am trying to discover the fate of Thomas Lewis my great uncle bn 1896 Lydiard, Wiltshire to a Clara Lewis.
He appears on census records to 1911 and then signs up to the army underage in 1912 age 16 and then the trail goes cold. Because he was illigetimate he was never spoken of - all I have is a cross stitched bookmark in a family bible that says 'Tommie'. Any ideas? Many ...
Read more : mystery of Thomas Lewis | Views : 370 | Replies : 4

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], tiffanyreplica, Yahoo [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 31049 • Total topics 6661 • Total members 23672