It is currently Tue May 03, 2016 11:42 am

News News of General research queries

Site map of General research queries » Forum : General research queries

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Inquest records

I've just received a copy of my great grandmother's death certificate and it says that there was an inquest when she died and I'd really like to know more.

I've searched the British Newspaper Archives to see if it made the news but I couldn't find it there. Can anyone tell me where else I can search? It looks like the inquest was conducted by the assistant deputy coroner for SE London in 1938.

Thanks ...
Read more : Inquest records | Views : 890 | Replies : 4

Query on wording on death Certificate

I have just received a death certificate for my great aunt and under the Signature, description and residence of informant box it says:
"Geo Nowthorpe", (presumably the informant)
"Causing the body to be buried"

I have never seen such wording on a certificate and wondered if anyone had any ideas what this might mean. Thanks in advance.
Julie
Read more : Query on wording on death Certificate | Views : 1273 | Replies : 8

Alexander Pickup correction

Alexander was born in 1797. Sorry about that. See below.
Read more : Alexander Pickup correction | Views : 384 | Replies : 0

Alexander Pickup b 1897 Mellor, Lancashire

Has anybody come across the above? He appears in the 1841and 1851 census married/living with Ann and several children in Blackburn, Lancs. He dies in the 1860s. Can find no birth or marriage certificate for him. Be very grateful for any help. Thank you.
Read more : Alexander Pickup b 1897 Mellor, Lancashire | Views : 671 | Replies : 2

SOLVED

I posted an item on an ancestor called Joseph Jesney on 6th September 2011, so his details are listed there. I have had no luck with any research on him and wondered whether anyone has previously searched for those who worked for the railways in any form?

Joseph was a signalman for the North Eastern Railway, later to become the LNER. He left the Royal Horse Artillery in 1863 and the next I knew of ...
Read more : SOLVED | Views : 1826 | Replies : 9

Bigamous Marriage

My ancestor Alfred Stanley Lund (26) married a Kathleen Gregory (27), for the first time, on 7th Dec 1912 at the Southampton Register Office. Kathleen was described as a Widow, and her father was a Maurice Murphy, Fish Merchant (deceased). On 26th June 1915, they are recorded as marrying again, with the informaton on the certificate stating 'Kathleen's first husband (Mr.Gregory) was previously living but had since died'. We presume that a) She might have ...
Read more : Bigamous Marriage | Views : 2487 | Replies : 6

James Stephenson/Ann Hunter

Read more : James Stephenson/Ann Hunter | Views : 1995 | Replies : 3

Why hasn't he died?

I've been trying to find the death of Joshua Gomersall (b1768, m1789). His baptism, marriage and the baptisms of his children are all in the Dewsbury area of West Yorkshire. His wife re-married, describing herself as a widow. This puts the date of his death between 1796 and 1819, but ... can I find it? Allowing for varants of just about everything, I've searched everywhere I can think of - with no success. Any advice ...
Read more : Why hasn't he died? | Views : 1007 | Replies : 5

Two Marriages - Same Bride & Groom

Can anyone explain why Fred William Fry & Ellen Eliza Peck married at Wood Green, Middlesex on 24th September 1890 ... and then married again in Toronto, Canada on 9th May 1895 ?

They were early members of The Salvation Army, although the Canadian entry indicated Methodist, but why, if they were married in London, were they married for a second time in Canada ?

Both entries are attached for reference.
Read more : Two Marriages - Same Bride & Groom | Views : 539 | Replies : 2

Researching a Persian Prince

My great great aunt - Agnes Croft - was born into poverty in Kent in 1894. Some time after 1911 (when she was in domestic service in Gravesend) she went to London, met and married the future Persian Ambassador to the US, (Mirza) Ghaffar Khan Djalal. Whilst they were in Washington during his tenure as Ambassador between 1933 and 1936 the pair caused diplomatic havoc. There is much coverage in the US national and provincial ...
Read more : Researching a Persian Prince | Views : 1328 | Replies : 4

Login  •  Register

Registered users: AntonyM, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot]

Statistics

Total posts 42295 • Total topics 8455 • Total members 28944