It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:07 am

News News of David Mitchell

Site map of David Mitchell » Forum : David Mitchell

Discuss the comedian's episode of the show

"Weeping in the Isles"

I'm only just catching up with this series and found this a fascinating episode. It prompted me to read "Weeping in The Isles", available on-line at

http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/en/leabharlann ... gisles.php

It's written for an audience used to hearing sermons on a regular basis. Still, behind the polemic and excursions into the propriety of gathering shellfish on the Sabbath, you do do find that the case of the 11 Skye girls ...
Read more : "Weeping in the Isles" | Views : 2578 | Replies : 0

Skye ancestors

I really enjoyed the programme, having recently come back from holiday in Skye and I can recommend the hotel and bar featured in the programme, at Isle Ornsary on the Sleat peninsula, very handy for the Skye Bridge.
I do feel that the Church Session book listing the misbehaviour of the locals was read with modern, non technical eyes. The word "examine" in such formal deeds does not mean to physically examine but to question, ...
Read more : Skye ancestors | Views : 2137 | Replies : 2

Mitchell Family Sheepfarming

Very interested in David Mitchell's program, unfortunately the programme did not go far enough. While the Mitchell family only became tenant farmers in Tongue in the 1830s it would have been useful to have followed the Mitchells sheep farming connections further back as a Mr Mitchell, a sheep farmer from Ayrshire was a tenant farmer on the estates of Mr Davidson of Tulloch (near Dingwall?) in the late 1700s. If he is a relative of ...
Read more : Mitchell Family Sheepfarming | Views : 6027 | Replies : 5

David Mitchell

I've got a few wills, but none of them are like that one!

It went at a very natural laid back pace tonight. It was good again to hear how a family fitted in to national events such as famines and the Clearances.

The MI on the family gravestone (and it's horizontal continuing slab) was especially interesting. Perhaps even though the people listed hadn't lived much of their adult life there (perhaps not even buried ...
Read more : David Mitchell | Views : 2397 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Feedfetcher

Statistics

Total posts 64778 • Total topics 12853 • Total members 6061